Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luthereo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I've filed a Radar. And offered to show the phones to someone at a Genius Bar to prove it's real :rolleyes:

Thank you Scribb. I'm seeing the same behaviour with an iPhone 6 and midnight blue leather case - it's definitely not just you. Keep us posted!

Steelixx

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Hey guys. I have an iPhone 6, and I'm having the same problems. I actually ordered a phone case from eBay and I'm having the same problem, when plugged in, Touch ID doesn't work. When I take the case off, it works. Or when I'm not charging the phone, then it works.

Bchapp5

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Hi there,

I have the blue silicon case on my iPhone 6 and experienced the same Touch ID sensor problem. Once I removed the case the ID worked perfectly.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Apple leather case in black on an iPhone 6 here, works fine when plugged into my old charger that came with the iPhone 5 (iPhone 6 gubbins still in their box).

Very odd if it's the colour of the case that causes your problem...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yup, have done all those things over the last 24 hours (I'm a methodical person when I hit a problem).

Turns out the culprit is the official leather case. Naked phone, no problem, protected phone, no TouchID while charging.

Will try to let Apple know though, hell of a bug.

I have an iPhone 6 and am using Apple leather Midnight Blue case, and I have ZERO problems using touch ID, when charging or not.

scribb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
UK
Hmmm

Tonight when I was testing this TouchID failed on both phones when connected to power regardless of being in a case or not...

I'm sending videos of the issue to Apple. :(

Raroni

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
I'm having the same issue. I have a pink leather case, at first I thought I was crazy...but I've tested it several times now... Works out of the case fine or works in the case while NOT charging, but does not work with the combination...charging while in the case. (sadly, I like my case)

chaoskun

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
I experienced this problem as well after updating my 5s (with Moshi snap in case) to iOS 8. However, after turning off "Hey, Siri" and restarted the device, it worked again. Now using 6 Plus in iOS 8.0.2 with Leather Case, no problem.

Raroni

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
Ok so I turned off hey Siri...powered off the phone. Powered back on put in pass code and tried touch id... (I'm using IOS 8.0.2)... It works fine all four programmed fingers... Plugged in the phone to test and the touch id only works on the first finger... (while in the case)... Maybe it's the magnetic closure of the case?? It is a pink "foot" wallet case with magnet snap close. I guess I'll have to get a different case#. But the glitch sure is weird. When I put a programmed finger on it doesn't say "try again" like it does if you use a non programmed finger...the phone just goes into sleep mode.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
No chance that the case is applying light pressure to side buttons (Volume side or Power side) somehow, and that may be the cause? Just throwing it out there.

Raroni

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
No the case doesn't Block anything anywhere. Today I was having issues all day on and off where my iMessage wouldn't work though. Sigh... I may have to go back in to Apple...

B*Trade

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Try turning your finger 90 degrees from its normal orientation on the home button. For some reason, when my phone is plugged in and charging, the Touch ID won't work in the orientation I originally scanned the fingerprint. So I tried for instance "pointing" to the left side of the phone when placing my finger in the home button. It reads my print that way...good luck.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Try turning your finger 90 degrees from its normal orientation on the home button. For some reason, when my phone is plugged in and charging, the Touch ID won't work in the orientation I originally scanned the fingerprint. So I tried for instance "pointing" to the left side of the phone when placing my finger in the home button. It reads my print that way...good luck.

Was not able to replicate. Plugged in, did every which way imaginable, it worked. Faulty device maybe?

dafgag

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Mine worked fine. Try flipping the brick 180°
36.gif

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
So, a lot more testing later...

I tried wiping, TouchID won't even work when factory reset and charging.

Tried the charger that comes in the box. Still won't work.

I removed the Midnight Blue leather case - TouchID works.

That's the common factor with the 6 and 6 Plus, we're both using Midnight Blue cases. So something about being in a case (and maybe the material or colour - who knows, all I have is blue to test) is interfering with TouchID when charging. If I had to guess it's heat maybe?

Anyone else got a case to test it with?

I've got the Olive Brown Leather Case and TouchID works perfectly fine when charging. I highly doubt it's the case and think it's more likely a bug in iOS 8.0.2

Raroni

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
Don't know...

I ended up getting a new case, and now everything works fine...I have a strong feeling it has to do with the magnet that was in the other case, but who knows??? :D

Robjones86

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Hi folks,

I noticed last night that on both my iPhone 6 Plus and my wife's iPhone 6 the TouchID sensor won't work if the phone is plugged in and charging. We are using old chargers and lightning cables, so it is possible the ones that came in the box will fix it, but it's very odd. Plug in - phone can't see the finger, unplug it - unlocks at a touch.

Anyone else seen this?

EDIT:

Turns out it only happens when they're in their cases - Midnight Blue leather for both. And the lightning cable has to be powered, unplug the charger from the wall and it works. Odd combination. I've filed a Radar.

This is true I'm using a tech 21 leather wallet case and Touch ID doesn't work while on charger outside of case perfect this is the same with the defender otter box case using original iPhone 6 charger And cord that came in box

Osirissk8rguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I came here looking for some answers, instead I formed theories of my own.

So I didn't see anyone have the same case as me, I've got a spigen air cushion case along with an iloome glass screen protector. I started noticing my phone not accepting my Touch ID while it's plugged in subconsciously and also started unplugging it just to log in. It wasn't until one day that it annoyed me enough that I realized, this shouldn't be happening. It was the first time it had done it consistently, and ended up searching good ol' Google for some answers, or at very least someone else with a similar situation.

As far as I can tell the common factor is the case, I tried the method of using the oem charger and magically it worked. I have a 10 ft aftermarket charger that is my main one and as far as that goes it didnt always happen on that charger so I ruled that out. Now after deducting all those factors I came to the conclusion that it must be a heat issue causing the Touch ID to either not be able to recognize the fingerprint or not even register that there is a finger there due to the built up heat caused by the case trapping it while the charger is also adding heat right behind the home button.

The main reason I came to this conclusion is due to the fact that most people are charging their phone because it's dying due to use of it, whether gaming or an intense Facebook session. So Im assuming that most people don't think about the heat, since their hands have adapted to the heat of their phone, no one really thinks about that factor. This may also be why some people have this issue and some people don't, I'd be willing to bet that the people who this is happening to the most probably use more processing intense apps, like me.

I may be completely wrong, but Id like to hear from someone else who has consistently had the problem happen to, to try the Touch ID while the phone is still a cool temperature, case on and charging. Let me know if it helps and I'll try showing this to the people at the Apple Store.

Forbzie

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Yup, first party charger, tried the new one it came with. In case, no TouchID, out of case, perfect.

Mine is doing the exact same thing!! In case touch ID doesnt work, out of case it works fine. This is the apple leather black case. Also in or out of the case its openings items on its own like its possessed. My phone is 2 days old and its time for an excorcism!!

----------

I came here looking for some answers, instead I formed theories of my own.

So I didn't see anyone have the same case as me, I've got a spigen air cushion case along with an iloome glass screen protector. I started noticing my phone not accepting my Touch ID while it's plugged in subconsciously and also started unplugging it just to log in. It wasn't until one day that it annoyed me enough that I realized, this shouldn't be happening. It was the first time it had done it consistently, and ended up searching good ol' Google for some answers, or at very least someone else with a similar situation.

As far as I can tell the common factor is the case, I tried the method of using the oem charger and magically it worked. I have a 10 ft aftermarket charger that is my main one and as far as that goes it didnt always happen on that charger so I ruled that out. Now after deducting all those factors I came to the conclusion that it must be a heat issue causing the Touch ID to either not be able to recognize the fingerprint or not even register that there is a finger there due to the built up heat caused by the case trapping it while the charger is also adding heat right behind the home button.

The main reason I came to this conclusion is due to the fact that most people are charging their phone because it's dying due to use of it, whether gaming or an intense Facebook session. So Im assuming that most people don't think about the heat, since their hands have adapted to the heat of their phone, no one really thinks about that factor. This may also be why some people have this issue and some people don't, I'd be willing to bet that the people who this is happening to the most probably use more processing intense apps, like me.

I may be completely wrong, but Id like to hear from someone else who has consistently had the problem happen to, to try the Touch ID while the phone is still a cool temperature, case on and charging. Let me know if it helps and I'll try showing this to the people at the Apple Store.

Its not the case. Its the charging +plus that possessed leather case. Mine will do it as soon as I plug it in with the case. There is no heat issue in 15 seconds of charging

----------

This is true I'm using a tech 21 leather wallet case and Touch ID doesn't work while on charger outside of case perfect this is the same with the defender otter box case using original iPhone 6 charger And cord that came in box

I think we have a massive issue developing here!!!

valiot

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
I'm having the same issue. Iphone 6+ and pink leather case. I have a theory as to why this is happening. In order for the touch ID to detect that there is a finger on the button, it uses some form of capacitive sensing. I think the combination of it being plugged in and the case is neutralizing this sensing.

Those of you with the problem can "fix" it by using your other hand and touching the metal bottom part of the phone next to the connector while you are engaging touch ID. You will see that it now works even with the case and plugged in.

You can also "fix" it by wrapping your finger over the edge of the phone so your finger touches the metal part slightly.

Tsuris

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Otterbox iPhone 6 plus 128 with a zagg (i punch out the original Otterbox screen) hdx. I use my oem cable I got with my iPhone 5 (64). Found the problem with inconsistent touch id when plugged in, have four fingers registered and could only sometimes get my thumb to work. Tried the advice of previous post and turned hey Siri (Siri isn't in Swype dictionary?) off. Now seems to be working 100 percent. One other thing I had noticed, when I had the problem (and hey Siri was on) it not only failed to id my finger(s) it generally behaved as if I hadn't put anything on it (no try again error).

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I had this happen to me when I was on vacation recently. I was using a white power adapter, that I bought on eBay as an OEM Apple part, but suspect that it may be a knock off. When it was plugged into the outlet touch ID would not work. I also had a belkin mini surge protector with me that has USB ports and plugged the lightning cable into the surge protector and touch ID worked fine, which led me to believe that the power adapter was the culprit.

While searching the internet for possible solutions I came across people who had the same issue with the 5S. In one of the posting I read someone mentioned that if the outlet is wired incorrectly it could cause this issue but I don't have any additional info to back this claim up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.