TP-Link's Kasa Smart Plug Mini Won't Support HomeKit After All

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TP-Link today announced that it has abandoned its plans to add HomeKit support to its Kasa Smart Plug Mini.

[​IMG]

From a new support document on TP-Link's website via Reddit:
    TP-Link originally planned to add HomeKit support to the smart plug in early 2019, a promise that it has now broken.

Fortunately, HomeKit-enabled smart plugs are quite common, with a wide variety of options available from brands such as Eve, iDevices, iHome, and Wemo. They can be used to conveniently turn on and off TVs, lamps, coffee machines, and other household objects with an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch.

Article Link: TP-Link's Kasa Smart Plug Mini Won't Support HomeKit After All

2. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

Typical.

Same rules as always apply: don’t buy anything that promises future HomeKit support. Wait until it’s released.

3. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

It’s childish, but I laughed out loud when I read the article title and then saw the plug’s ‘shocked’ expression!

4. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

They should’ve just made the article image shocked pikachu face.

5. walnuts macrumors 6502a

I love decoding corporate speak. “Due to changes in our roadmap” makes it sound like something happened to them, but that really it means nothing other than “we decided not to do it”.

6. richie510 macrumors newbie

richie510

Is HomeKit somehow harder to implement, or more expensive to license? Why do so many devices automatically support Alexa and Google, but HomeKit is a side project? After Apple removed the hardware restriction, it just baffles me that every product supporting Google and Alexa do not support HomeKit as well.

7. grobik macrumors regular

grobik

when the decision makers look at these devices they look at smart speakers as being the controller. In this market Apple is still way behind on market share. In sure Apple also charges a premium to license as well as most likely being more involved coding wise to implement due to the higher security standards. You also have to look at the global market. The US is the main country using newer iOS devices. I was always struck when I’d go to Europe to see the majority of iPhones you see on the street are 3-4 year old models.

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Like Apple TV, Apple lead charge with hardware restrictions.
    Could be do to that now no one cares that the restrictions have been lifted.

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Question, could you get your money back if you bought this plug after they promised Homekit support, they lied to you so I guess it should, but then again, this is the US, unlike in Europe customers have a lot more protection.

10. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Man I’m looking for a HomeKit smart plug. Are there any good ones out there? I want to start “smartifying” my home before taking a deep dive on the more expensive products.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Eve maybe, does it's job.

12. whoknows2597 macrumors newbie

I’m not sure how you feel about this company, but I purchased a Wemo Mini that is compatible with HomeKit. I set it up to turn my fan on and off through Automations and it works perfectly aside from a few hiccups. I may purchase a few more if Belkin makes some that are even more compact.

13. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Looking for the same -- preferably a three-plug outlet. I have a photography studio and I would love to control my continuous lights via HomeKit.

14. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

I really like Eve for indoor. I also have the iDevices Outdoor plug, it’s alright but seems slightly less reliable on Wi-Fi than Eve’s Bluetooth plug.

15. brownpaw macrumors regular

I have several of these TP-Link devices and I really like them. I can’t say dropping HomeKit plans kills them for me (or promised HomeKit support was a buying factor) but it’s certainly disappointing.

16. whoknows2597 macrumors newbie

Hmm. In your case, a power strip may be best if you have separate plugs. Although I’m not sure how they work, ie. if each plug is independently operated, but if you want to turn all the lights on or off simultaneously, then the strip will work for you.

They are priced a bit higher than standard power strips, but naming a few, Eve or VOCOlinc may work for you. They do not require any hubs or bridges, however if you have a HomePod, it acts like one to connect all your smart accessories.

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

This really sucks. My smart home is a mixture of Homepods and Alexa and in the UK and I suspect Europe, there are no smart plugs available that support Homekit, Alexa and Google.
    HomeKit support in Europe is pretty dire.
    I guess I will have to wait for Phillips to deliver on its promises for a smart plug.

18. grobik macrumors regular

grobik

I’ve been using an idevices three prong plug for years without a problem. Has a nice color changing night light on it too with a manual switch on the side. It’s actually the most reliable HomeKit device I’ve ever used. My dad even uses one on his electric car charger. Holds up.

19. geekonthepc macrumors member

geekonthepc

Grab yourself a Raspberry Pi and set it up with Homebridge. Took me less than an hour, and it works perfectly with my HS100s with the right plugin.

20. T5BRICK, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I had an email exchange with their support a few weeks ago and they had a path for refunds. Unfortunately, I paid cash for mine at Target and didn’t keep the receipts so I’m SOL. I was able to sell them locally for a little less than I paid so it worked out.

I’ve gone with Lutron products. The plug itself is about 2x the cost of this TP-Link option and it requires a hub(which is an additional cost as well). However, it offers dimming and the hub allows the smart devices to operate on their own dedicated wireless network instead of on the crowded 2.4GHz band.

21. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

this is why people who want HA shouldn't half@$$ it. learn that there are things like Zigbee and z wave, and if nothing else use a raspberry pi and either HomeAssistant or OpenHAB.

my TP-Link Kasa's have been homekit devices for years now
    as has everything else that has smart functionality despite what the manufacturers do.
    why rely on these lying companies with their empty promises with delayed or unreleased implementations that don't work as well.

22. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't down to two things: Apple doesn't hand them everything to implement it, and Apple will never EVER give them any metrics regarding usage. I am dead convinced that user metrics are available to OEMs who use Alexa and Google, and they get some kind of incentive for sales driven by those products and the ads that come from that data.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 ---
    Exhibit A: The RING DOORBELL.

23. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Not worth the effort. Apple smart speaker share is tiny.

24. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

The 47 people who use home kit are infuriated I’m sure!