TP-Link's Kasa Smart Plug Mini Won't Support HomeKit After All

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:43 AM.

1. Cndnmax macrumors member

I use a raspberry PI and Hass.io to emulate a HomeKit gateway. All my smart devices are now “HomeKit” compatible.

2. SigurTom macrumors member

SigurTom

Never buy something for what it “will” support.

3. gaburke macrumors newbie

I did this as well. I’ve been running my HS105 using Homebridge for several months now. Perhaps TPLink’s programmers should study how Homebridge is implemented, as a jumping off point.

4. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

I believe it's because HomeKit has much stricter security measures and protocols, with the intent of making it harder for the internet of things to be hacked and wreck your life. Something like that.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 at 11:31 PM ---
    Millions of people use HomeKit.

5. HDFan macrumors 65816

Although it is expensive ($60) I am a big fan of the Satechi dual outlet:

https://satechi.net/products/dual-smart-outlet

I got them during their intro 30% off sale. I have a price search set to get some more when they go on sale again, likely during the Black Friday period.

Does NOT require a separate hub. Installation is easy with a scan of the bar code. Integrates easily with HomePod, Apple TV, etc. You can fit two on a standard 2 plug U.S. outlet, giving your 4 individually controllable plugs. Gives you energy use/cost for each individual plug:

IMG_7217.PNG IMG_7216.PNG

Great support.

I made a mistake and got a couple from Costco. Only in the fine print does it say that you need a bridge. Setup was a bit of a nightmare as compared to setting up the Satechi.

With dual plugs the Satechi gives you 4 plugs on a 2 plug outlet so it might eliminate the need for a power strip or 3 plug outlet.

It is device specific. My portable AC units when powered on are ready to go. Other devices when powered on require you to press the power switch. Simple enough to test. Turn the device on, pull the plug, then plug back in. That's what will happen if you control it with a switch.

For me it's the opposite. Coming downstairs with my hands full I just say "turn on the lights" to my HomePods. Don't have to pull out my phone or anything else.

As above I got one of the Costco two packs and regretted it. I unfortunately opened them and can't return. Will be getting rid of them.

6. rumormiller macrumors member

I'll second this recommendation.They're actually only £10 https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-wireless-control-outlet-00364477/ in the UK and work great. You can control smart plugs/lamps/blinds... with your iDevices or IKEA remotes. IKEA stuff uses Zigbee networking so it doesn't interfere with your wifi. I actually prefer spoken commands using Siri to control e.g. "Hey Siri, turn off my bedroom lights." Works great!

7. MrRabuf macrumors member

I didn’t realize anybody still cared about HomeKit. Sorry folks, Apple lost in this area. Just use Google/Amazon/etc (it’s ok, you’re house won’t blow up if you have a non-Apple device in it) or go the DIY route. I use HomeAssistant and really like it. If you’re hanging out on this forum, you’re already somewhat of a techie and can probably handle setting it up.

8. whoknows2597 macrumors newbie

I don’t want to give you an incorrect answer, as none of my appliances have touch screens, but some of my local retailers like Target have touch screen heaters though they are mostly for larger rooms. Depending on what retailers are in your area and their return policy, I would look around and try out different plugs to see if you find one that is compatible with your heater. If not, then hopefully one company can manufacture a smart plug that can work.

9. Defthand macrumors 65816

Logically, no. To test whether it is a smartplug limitation or not, plug your heater into the wall receptacle itself. Turn on the heater. Then flip the receptacle's circuit breaker off. Wait a few seconds and flip it back on. Does the heater resume working? If not, your heater's digital power switch is the limitation, and a smartplug can't help as it is nothing but a digital breaker.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

No worrie, I just thinks it's too difficult for most, I know plenty of people which can't even install a TV, let alone Homebridge.

As above, most people can't even configure their TV, might even not know what configure means.

I've had it on my Mac, too much time involved to correctly configure, I compare it to Linux, it's for geeks, as with Linux they think it's normal to understand how things are done, they just give you an explanation of doing things but skipping half of the steps...just because they think you know Linux.

People want a device that you plug into the wall and it magically works.
    Like a plug with builtin HomeKit support.

11. Regbial, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Well I have a Homekit iHome smartplug and while it did work, now it doesn't. I go into the Homekit square in my Control Center and it always says "Unavailable".. even though I'm right beside the plug, and both devices are connected to my Airport Extreme. Sloppy technology I guess...

I have to go into the iHome app in order to run it off or on.. Great going. :rolleyes:

Outside of the useless Homekit, I will say it's super useful for anyone who has a fish tank or reptile habitat etc..

Edit: uhh I just had to delete it from Homekit and add it again.. Still... I shouldn't have to do that. But whatever.. Let's see how long it lasts now.

12. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

Not sure why anyone has trouble with Wemo mini from Costco. The HomeKit firmware update upgraded mine to HomeKit just fine.

Older packages may not have reflected that they are HomeKit compatible. The ones I purchased right after the holidays last year had a sticker on the outside of blister pack. The last 2-pack I bought in June had updated product information inside the package.

https://www.wemo.com/press-releases/wemo-mini-smart-plug-now-compatible-with-apple-homekit.html

13. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know exactly which smart switch not to buy.

14. ihackalot macrumors member

ihackalot

Seriously, struck? Not so much when you realize the same iPhone Xr in Europe is about $300 more expensive.

15. Yuck9 macrumors newbie

It will not. I have a A/C unit that needs a button pushed to start unit.