TP-Link's Kasa Smart Plug Mini Won't Support HomeKit After All

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

The IKEA TRÅDFRI range is excellent. While their smart plugs didn't launch with HomeKit compatibility, it was something they promised and ultimately delivered. They're also pretty cheap too, at £12 in the UK. They're not the smallest of gear, but they've been super reliable (not dropping out) and they respond really quickly.

One thing to note, you'll need a driver and bridge to run them, but once you have one of each, it's easy to add more to them. Their bulbs are great too, I've replaced all of my lamp bulbs with IKEA ones.

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yeah, a really good solution.:rolleyes:

Too difficult/geeky for most, added cost and costs time, not everyone is as smart/handy as you.

it might take you just one hour, for most though it would take lots more time, like hours or even days to understand it, it's also crap.

3. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

I believe licensing could be an issue. A recall an article last year in which a property developer discussed how new houses were being designed ‘smart ready’, with a range of features built in plug sockets, appliances etc. They claimed that they wouldn’t consider Home Kit because of the cost of licensing it, and also the range of products compatible with it.

4. Chiromac81 macrumors regular

Would this work on a space heater as well that requires a click of the on button on the heater to turn on-not just plugging it in?

In other words, will smart plugs work on devices that are more complicated then just on when plugged in and off when unplugged?

5. geekonthepc macrumors member

geekonthepc

Fair enough mate, just expressing options.

6. DangerousDan macrumors newbie

Some folks like the DIY route. Personally I’m running lots of flashed TUYA plugs via Home Assistant. Works pretty great. Started with a cheap Sonoff device to control my garage door. I love being able to just say “Hey Siri, open the garage.” from my watch or phone. Now I have house wide ad blocking, a bunch of energy monitors, weather related notifications, and other automations for the cost of a Pi 3b+.

7. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

While I don't have specific product suggestions - and am using Echo devices rather than HomeKit - I have a similar use-case. I've put all my home office monitors / printers / etc. (not computers/routers) on smart plugs. Every night I just say "Alexa... good night!" The doors are automatically locked, all house lights turned off... plus my office equipment also gets shut down. Then the next morning I say "Alexa... good morning!" and get a weather report while all my lights and equipment are powered back up. Makes it really nice! Once you get things setup and working you will quickly become spoiled by the convenience!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 ---
    The range of available products I can understand. Higher priced products also makes sense. Not sure about the 'licensing' issue though. Builders buy hardware that includes the licensing cost. Would they really have to pay an extra fee to Apple?

8. whoknows2597 macrumors newbie

Hmm. I apologize in advance for the word block.

Based on my experience, most appliances with the standard 2 prong plug will work safely with the smart plug. However, when I attempted to plug my AC which is 3 prong, it still worked as normal, provided that I pressed the “on” button on the AC unit itself. But it does not work with any HomeKit commands. No matter what I do, the smart plug cannot turn on the AC without having to press the “on” button on the AC.

My 2 prong appliances have a physical switch that needs to be flicked on/off or a turn switch like some small space heaters or lamps. As long as the appliance switch stays on the “on” position, the smart plug will power your appliances, and when you turn off the smart plug in the Home App, the smart plug disconnects from the power supply, effectively shutting down the appliance and prevents it from turning on accidentally. If you turn on the smart plug again in the App, then power is restored and your appliance will power on again without you needing to use the “on” button.

I believe there is a safety feature on heavier appliances that are 3 prong to prevent circuit breaks or because they require more power to turn on, which may explain why smart plugs cannot power them on without further assistance. Hopefully this answers your question. :)

9. Optheduim macrumors regular

I hate to say it but HomeKit is trash. Nothing ever works properly

10. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

11. Ultramove69 macrumors member

Ultramove69

12. Bswails macrumors regular

iPhones 4 years
    I agree..but the problem is for people who are not tech savvy..or maybe just don’t want to have worry about when problems arise and trouble shoot. Don’t know why Apple has been a company that doesn’t play well with others..and in this case i don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t. It hurts both companies a bit

13. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Like 24months warranty by default and up to 7 years in U.K.? Aha I see.

14. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I have a couple of Kasa smart plugs that control things like the speakers to the TV and lamps around the house. I have a homebridge VM running with the Kasa plugin and it works without issue. Every night we ask Siri to turn the TV speakers on and then off once we’re done and it works. It’s a shame native support isn’t there but if you’re prepared to put in the time to get it all working, for me it’s a none issue if it’s HomeKit certified or not.

Homebridge allows me to use our Nest thermostat with Siri too.

I prefer the option to use what I want without being tied to overpriced brands just for HomeKit support.

15. bgiuriceo macrumors newbie

bgiuriceo

Exactly right! HOOBS is the best way to go for non-Homekit products.

16. Stromos macrumors newbie

Stromos

Well ya know Nest just closed its API doors rendering my Pi Homebrige useless. I assume TP-Link and other will also head this route.
    Also its crap? Based on what? Too difficult? Like holy **** they literally have images now you write to the SD card and it boot it up.

https://hoobs.org

Only crap thing is companies like Google closing up APIs to prevent things like Homebrige from functioning. I literally want to rip my Nest thermostats off the wall.

17. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Thanks guys, i'll have to take a look at these suggestions.

18. zantafio macrumors regular

Ikea Tradfri

19. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

apple got crushed in the smart home market. Why they didn’t release an entry level Apple device that markets privacy for $60-$100 blows my mind. Instead we got a smart speaker that can’t even make it off the shelves at retailers.

20. jd3101 macrumors newbie

I can think of two smart plugs in the UK that support both HomeKit, Alexa & Google Home. Namely:

Ikea Tradfri
    WIFIPLUG

21. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

I just recently bought three iDevice smart plugs, they seem to work well.

22. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Is this a licensing cost issue? How hard could the api be?

23. Chiromac81 macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer. The basic space heater I use has only a 2 prong plug but it does have on off and other electronic buttons on a touch screen to operate it that only come on once it’s plugged

When it is first plugged in, nothing happens until you press on. Would this work or be able to be turned on and off with a smart plug?

24. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

As someone who has Cortana, Siri, Alexa, and Google I’m not convinced that having a smart speaker means anything. I rarely use my speaker to control my house as it is almost always faster to use my iPhone, laptop, iPad, hardware switch or Stream Deck. Voice controls are so slow with all of the services.

25. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

I have six Wemo mini plugs that work well with HomeKit. Costco has Wemo mini 2-paks on sale for $19.99 from time-to-time. They're currently $40 for two.

To be honest, I like the $10 Teckin plugs I got from Amazon with energy monitoring better...because of the energy monitoring. I've mainly used them to control vampire devices using the Smart Life app on iPhone and iPad, not voice control. My FiOS equipment was using more energy than my refrigerator. Teckin also has smart surge protector/power strips that also have USB controls. But, I digress, this is about HomeKit.

I was dreaming when I thought Apple would push to make HomeKit ubiquitous, stress privacy features, and make it easy for manufacturers to implement HomeKit with firmware updates like Belkin did with Wemo.