Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
So I wanted to know what all the rave was, so I invested in a M1 Apple Mac Book Air 512Gb all other basic specs. This is my first apple product, I have strong feelings about it. I recently heard of an upgraded model with M2 chip. Apple asks if I would like to trade in my M1. Sure, they go through the hoops and when I say the offer they gave me, it's basically what I thought I would be paying after my trade in. $440 bucks. it's like I basically just took it out the box. Kudos, to you guys who able to bite the nail and trade in rather than just paying full price. That's ridiculous!

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
nothing is worth trading into Apple except possibly iPhones but even then they keep reducing the prices of them. I update all my gadgets frequently and have to make peace with buying something that I may not be able to sell for what I want on the used market or as quickly as I would like.

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
The MBA I purchased for £1200 was offered a trade in by Apple for around £300.
that’s not enough to cover the same upgrades I applied to keep the same memory and disk.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
The MBA I purchased for £1200 was offered a trade in by Apple for around £300.
that’s not enough to cover the same upgrades I applied to keep the same memory and disk.
Exactly. I’m not sure why Apple reduced the values so much but they effectively killed their trade in program other than the iPhones but maybe that was the point.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Keep in mind the Apple trade-in service is a convenience, but not considered competitive with other Apple trade-in vendors such as MacMeAnOffer.com, CashForYourMac.com (and a handful of other reputable places). And there's selling outright with places like Swappa, for example. Is it worth the hassle versus Apple store trade-in? For some, yes. Others, no.

Last edited:

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
nothing is worth trading into Apple except possibly iPhones but even then they keep reducing the prices of them. I update all my gadgets frequently and have to make peace with buying something that I may not be able to sell for what I want on the used market or as quickly as I would like.
dearly noted, guess this was my opportunity of learning

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
Ahhh…

Well, IMO, I wouldn’t have upgraded, coming from an M1, there was hardly any performance gain benefits, perhaps the new design.
I refused the offer! I did not purchase the lastest and greatest M2. For my first Apple product it's nice. I am/was and Android Lifer

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
with such a hefty price tag, I would of thought they would of been more generous
The general Apple trade-in is approximately 30% of the retail price, but keep in mind they don't factor in RAM and some other upgrades. Sometimes Apple may increase its trade-in prices, and as they did recently, sometimes they decrease them. It can change often.

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
Complaining about trade-in value is a waste of time. Either you can afford to upgrade or you can't.
Rude are we Sir, my complaint is the low ball offer after spending a premium amount of cash for a 2 year old Soc. Never said I couldn't afford it, it was an option the Apple Store gave me.

• Haha

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
Keep in mind the Apple trade-in service is a convenience, but not considered competitive with other Apple trade-in vendors such as MacMeAnOffer.com, CashForYourMac.com (and there are a handful of other reputable places). And there's selling outright with places like Swappa, for example. Is it worth the hassle versus Apple store trade-in? For some, yes. Others, no.
thank you for that information, such a blessing there are helpful people for us new to the Apple eco-system

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
The general Apple trade-in is approximately 30% of the retail price, but keep in mind they don't factor in RAM and some other upgrades. Sometimes Apple may increase its trade-in prices, and as they did recently, sometimes they decrease them. It can change often.
understood, thank you

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
I'm actually considering grabbing one of the iPhone 14 models, music is my love so I need at the least 512gb! Is there really that much of a difference from the regular version and Pro Max. I'm just reading the rumors right now but have no clue other than Samsung when it comes to phones. Thank you in advance for any info

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Rude are we Sir, my complaint is the low ball offer after spending a premium amount of cash for a 2 year old Soc. Never said I couldn't afford it, it was an option the Apple Store gave me.
I wasn't rude to you. I don't even know you nor did I have a reason to be rude. I simply stated an opinion. Giving a high dollar trade-in value would cut into Apple's profit margin and they won't let that happen. And to make things even more grim, Apple uses a third party to mail-in trade-ins that has a horrible reputation for taking advantage or people and not being honest with the condition upon receipt and low-balling people, so the company can make even more money.

Macs are not investments. They are expensive tools we choose to buy.

Reactions: 3Rock and AlexMac89

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
I wasn't rude to you. I don't even know you nor did I have a reason to be rude. I simply stated an opinion. Giving a high dollar trade-in value would cut into Apple's profit margin and they won't let that happen. And to make things even more grim, Apple uses a third party to mail-in trade-ins that has a horrible reputation for taking advantage or people and not being honest with the condition upon receipt and low-balling people, so the company can make even more money.

Macs are not investments. They are expensive tools we choose to buy.
my assuming apologies, it came off as you were attacking a new apple customer. I'm literally just getting into the eco-system. I only know all things Samsung.

• Haha

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
IMO Apple trade in makes most sense for a machine that is about 4 or 5 years old, when the market resale value has diminished enough that it may not be worth the hassle and risk of selling privately for not much more than the trade-in value.
For a newer machine the difference between market value and trade-in value is much greater, that you are giving up a lot by trading in.
For an older machine the trade-in value is often peanuts.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple doesn't set the trade in values; that is handled by a 3rd party company. But really, you will never get as much for a trade in as you will by selling it privately.

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
IMO Apple trade in makes most sense for a machine that is about 4 or 5 years old, when the market resale value has diminished enough that it may not be worth the hassle and risk of selling privately for not much more than the trade-in value.
For a newer machine the difference between market value and trade-in value is much greater, that you are giving up a lot by trading in.
For an older machine the trade-in value is often peanuts.
Very informative, thank you

Reactions: wilberforce

601_skny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2022
Apple doesn't set the trade in values; that is handled by a 3rd party company. But really, you will never get as much for a trade in as you will by selling it privately.
I’m gonna keep and give it to a family and buy the new and improved one! I seen a lot of consumers doesn’t like the new design I really like the design changes. Thank you for the information

Reactions: darngooddesign
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.