trading my iPad for Windows tablet!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pizz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. pizz macrumors regular

I've had my iPad now for about 3 months and for the most part i like it but Im finding that alot of basic functionality just isn't there.*

Like for instance I wanted to upload a PDF to a website and found that safari disables the upload button?!*No java or flash? also the lack of any kind of file system is a big pain. I dont like the idea a having to go through iTunes for everything. *

Unless Apple seriously beefs up it's iOS, I think I'll trade in for a windows 7 tablet :apple: **

2. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

3. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It's a consumption device, and a very good one at that. Creation? Not so much. A Windows tablet is more capable, but with less quality. You'll get flash, you'll get Java, but you'll get a horrible touchscreen, and an OS that isn't meant for that kind of input device, as well as 2 minute startups with a 3 hour battery life. If you bought the iPad to run a site or something, you probably were dropped on the head as a child.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not one of those idiots who are anti-Microsoft or whatever. I don't own a Mac, I own a Dell Inspiron 1545 (with Blu-ray. Let's see a Mac that can do that) and a desktop computer with a quad core, etc. When I say a Windows tablet is worse, I'm talking about Windows being a touch interface. As an OS, Windows is perfect in every way but for use in a touchscreen device.

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Windows tablet? Say whaaaat~?

Which one are you looking at?

I thought I'd miss a local file system and uploading from Safari, but I really haven't. I use cloud services a lot more than I did before I got my iPad.

Stop back after a couple months with your Win tablet and let us know how it's working for you.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Why are you using the asterisk like that?

Safari doesn't disable it, it's just iOS doesn't have direct file access.

I don't think Windows 7 will have much success in the tablet Market and that you should wait for a WebOS or gingerbread based device instead.

Saying that, you knew full well that an iOS based device would be dependent upon iTunes when you bought your iPad and I believe the iPad should be like that (would like some kind of wireless sync though), it is a complementary device. Not a workstation.

6. PlanetarySoup macrumors member

PlanetarySoup

You are sooo right

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you will be back ... and we will welcome you like a child who has run away only to realize ... things were better at home

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Someone didn't do his homework before purchasing. :rolleyes:

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That makes the OP a perfect windows user. ;)

10. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

All iOS products go through iTunes.... Never owned an iPod touch? :rolleyes:

13. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

Well if the iPad is supposed to replace my net book, then I at least should be able to upload files from safari, or have some kind of universal file system that all my apps can access. It should be a stand alone machine like the windows tablets. The pc tablets might not be the best thing out now but they're moving in the right direction. iOS just isn't there yet.

14. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Hey guys I am trading my Porsche for a Honda. See ya!

15. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Why do we care? Sorry not trying to sound rude but people who bought the Ipad know its capabilities and its limits.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the MBA is supposed replace your netbook:cool:

17. rasputinj macrumors regular

I just built a handful of panasonic toughbook tablets on Windows 7 with an Atom CPU. It really sucked, you can put a prettier tablet instead of the ugly panasonic it will still suck. I also have a HP tablet running XP, the only person who used the sylus was my daughter until I purchased SketchBook on the iPad. Have fun with your Windows Tablet.

18. MacMau5 macrumors member

19. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I agree that you should be able to upload (and download) files, I'm not sure how Apple can fix that, or maybe it's the websites job to fix it (to do it another way).

Nonetheless, I don't think you'll be that happy moving to a Windows slate but I guess it can't hurt (you can always take it back right?); poor battery life and weak hardware for the OS it's running don't make a good combination -- and touching the tiny controls designed for mouse input isn't great either.

20. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Oh, I'm sure there are a boatload of apps out there that let you upload files. The only thing I can think of that the iPad cannot do that a netbook can is Flash support. Anything else can be done with some apps. It's just that netbooks also get horrid battery life, come with an OS that is just too demanding of the specs they get, and they're usually heavy and not so easy to walk around with and whip out whenever you want. The form factor is easily one of the best things about the iPad.

Of course netbooks also have limitations like small screens. On a netbook, you get a small screen, and everything on the internet is small. With the iPad, pinching to zoom makes it much better for browsing the internet.

For traveling, the iPad is better thanks to a battery life that will live through the flight. It's also the perfect photography companion if you've got the CCK.

4.2 also fixes the YouTube shortage, making the iPad a great YouTube browser as well. With a netbook, by the way, you get access to a wide range of applications, but how many of them run that well? Can you play most games on the netbook? I doubt it. With the AppStore on the iPad, you get a crapload of apps, games, etc. made just for it. You can't really get that kind of quality with a netbook.

It depends on what you want out of it, I suppose. For school work, the iPad isn't that amazing. I used it for taking notes for two weeks before realizing that typing on the touchscreen is a pain and is rather slow. After bringing my laptop (Inspiron 1545) to class, yes it's heavy, yes it can only go for 6-7 hours before dying providing it's on Power Saver, and yes it's hot, but hot damn is it worth it. The teacher cannot keep up with how fast I can write notes for once, not the other way around.

That said, there are some things an iPad just beats a laptop at without denying it. I couldn't take my laptop on a plane. Couldn't take it on a train or a bus or a car for long trips (or even short ones..it's not that portable.) It's more like a work station that you can carry around and "deploy" into different environments. The difference with the iPad is that you can deploy it onto yourself rather than the environment and thus it's that much more practical.

As a business device, it's probably not too amazing at it. There may be some nice apps out there that make it pretty useful at certain tasks but obviously it'll never beat a laptop; it's not trying to. For casual use, like internet browsing, Facebook, Youtube, etc. the iPad is just better for those tasks.

For heavier use, you probably need a computer, and they made the iPad with that in mind (hence the fact that you need to hook it up to a computer to even use it for the first time.)

Anyway, that's my stance on the whole iPad vs. Netbook/Laptop argument. I wrote it purely out of months of using them. I'm not one of these people here in denial going, "aww jeah I never use my computer anymore lolz." The entirety of the iPad forum seems to be a couple of people in a circle trying to make themselves feel better about buying it. You see a ton of these threads going "iPad is still awesome :D" and "lol playbook" and a dozen more about how a person is using their iPad in X way and so on. It's sad, but that's MacRumors for you.

21. 1appleAday macrumors regular

22. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

No. For $999, he can get an awesome regular laptop with 3x better specs, with *gasp* an optical drive!

Revolutionary.

23. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Atta boy. Great move. Best of luck with it

24. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Just ignore these people.

I do understand your disappointment over the limited features of the iPad. But don't get a Windows tablet. Get a regular Windows laptop.

Windows Tablets suck. Trust me. Windows laptops OTOH, are pretty good.