• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
How do we use this again. I have the settings for it all checked off but I forgot how to use it lol..what I mean is..is there something else I have to do in order for it to tell me how long it will take to get somewhere?

Thanks!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Leave your house and it'll tell you how long it'll take to drive back home. I work from home so that's all I get, as there's no where else I go with high regularity. I think if you go to work elsewhere at a regular time it might tell you how long to get to work when you're at home too?

Comment

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Leave your house and it'll tell you how long it'll take to drive back home. I work from home so that's all I get, as there's no where else I go with high regularity. I think if you go to work elsewhere at a regular time it might tell you how long to get to work when you're at home too?

But I do leave the house and it doesnt tell me anything LOL Is there another setting that I am forgetting or something?

Comment

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Seemed like it took a while (couple weeks) to start to show up. Then I started to see it a lot, but there are times when for some reason, it 's not there. So perhaps it will be more reliable in the GM.

Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Seemed like it took a while (couple weeks) to start to show up. Then I started to see it a lot, but there are times when for some reason, it 's not there. So perhaps it will be more reliable in the GM.

Took mine 23 days to appear. Others reported simliar, many reported less. Has not been consistent.

Then again... it's beta.

Like you say, hopefully it'll be more robust and make more sense come GM and public release.

Comment

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
My understanding of it as well was that it would also work with meetings you had in your calendar and give you an indication of time needed to get to them if there was an address etc stored. My experience so far is that this isnt really happening.

Comment

Tammster

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Every morning it tells me it will take me about 34 minutes to get to work and then in the afternoon that I have about 34 minutes to get home. I don't have "work" on my calendar every day but I do have my work address set in my contact card so I guess it just assumes I go there every day (I will make a point to check on Saturday to see if it thinks I work weekends).

I haven't thought to check for my outside appointments.

Comment

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
I have a home and work address but bearing in mind my office is a 2 min walk up the road it doesnt really work for that and doesnt show. The times i have seen it working have been when i've been further away from home. Last weekend i was returning from friends and got a note on there as to how long it would take and also got one when returning from an airport a while ago. I think it just sort of does it for any time you appear to be a distance from your home address.

I'm yet to get anything relating to going places though that are in my calendar.

Comment

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
My assumption was it'd use your frequent locations history to determine WHEN you work, when you're most likely to travel home etc.
hence why it takes a while to configure.

Comment

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Try turning it off and on in NC and that might jump start it for you. It worked for me after I did that.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I finally got traffic in notification center last night. It just showed up after weeks of nothing. I did nothing special to jump start it.

Comment

kdhoe

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Belgium
I had traffic notifications after a couple of days. It works pretty good.
I work at 2 locations, mostly on Wednesdays and Fridays, and the iPhones notices that too.
Also my iPhone wants me to get a drink every Sunday because I went to a bar 2 Sundays in a row. That's already 1,5 months ago and I still get traffic info every Sunday to get to that bar :D

Comment

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Ok thanks for all the replies wow :) I have it in there now. I thought I clicked all the settings but I guess not! So used to turning then off with new betas!
yge6ygu7.jpg

Sorry for consuming your time, but then again someone else might find this useful :p

I guess I will have to wait now for it to remember places I go. Is there a way to see a history of frequent locations? or no?

Comment

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok thanks for all the replies wow :) I have it in there now. I thought I clicked all the settings but I guess not! So used to turning then off with new betas! Image

Sorry for consuming your time, but then again someone else might find this useful :p

I guess I will have to wait now for it to remember places I go. Is there a way to see a history of frequent locations? or no?

Settings-->Privacy-->Location Services-->System Services (at the bottom)-->Frequent Locations.

Comment

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Yes, I had to make sure both Next Destination and Frequent Locations were turned on, and then it takes about 2-3 weeks of repeated tracking in order for it to start working.

One interesting thing I noticed about frequent locations, not sure if this was posted or not before, but as your Frequent Locations are tracked, the built in Weather apps notices those locations, and automatically adds weather for those locations. For example, I just went on vacation last week to Virginia Beach and Washington DC. I haven't opened the Apple Weather app in weeks, yet when I opened it today, there were presets in there for Virginia Beach and DC. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I thought it was kind of cool.

Comment

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I believe you have to actually have your contact info in the phone, and have your address entered so that the phone KNOWS where "home" is, just the same as "work"...

If you go to a place every day that doesn't mean it's "work" necessarily.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.