Traffic conditions in notification centre!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Krissypantz2828, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

How do we use this again. I have the settings for it all checked off but I forgot how to use it lol..what I mean is..is there something else I have to do in order for it to tell me how long it will take to get somewhere?

Thanks!

2. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Leave your house and it'll tell you how long it'll take to drive back home. I work from home so that's all I get, as there's no where else I go with high regularity. I think if you go to work elsewhere at a regular time it might tell you how long to get to work when you're at home too?

3. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

But I do leave the house and it doesnt tell me anything LOL Is there another setting that I am forgetting or something?

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Seemed like it took a while (couple weeks) to start to show up. Then I started to see it a lot, but there are times when for some reason, it 's not there. So perhaps it will be more reliable in the GM.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Took mine 23 days to appear. Others reported simliar, many reported less. Has not been consistent.

Then again... it's beta.

Like you say, hopefully it'll be more robust and make more sense come GM and public release.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

My understanding of it as well was that it would also work with meetings you had in your calendar and give you an indication of time needed to get to them if there was an address etc stored. My experience so far is that this isnt really happening.

7. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Every morning it tells me it will take me about 34 minutes to get to work and then in the afternoon that I have about 34 minutes to get home. I don't have "work" on my calendar every day but I do have my work address set in my contact card so I guess it just assumes I go there every day (I will make a point to check on Saturday to see if it thinks I work weekends).

I haven't thought to check for my outside appointments.

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I have a home and work address but bearing in mind my office is a 2 min walk up the road it doesnt really work for that and doesnt show. The times i have seen it working have been when i've been further away from home. Last weekend i was returning from friends and got a note on there as to how long it would take and also got one when returning from an airport a while ago. I think it just sort of does it for any time you appear to be a distance from your home address.

I'm yet to get anything relating to going places though that are in my calendar.

9. Azy macrumors regular

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

My assumption was it'd use your frequent locations history to determine WHEN you work, when you're most likely to travel home etc.
    hence why it takes a while to configure.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Try turning it off and on in NC and that might jump start it for you. It worked for me after I did that.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I finally got traffic in notification center last night. It just showed up after weeks of nothing. I did nothing special to jump start it.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This stupid thing never worked for me so I finally just turned it off.

14. kdhoe macrumors member

I had traffic notifications after a couple of days. It works pretty good.
    I work at 2 locations, mostly on Wednesdays and Fridays, and the iPhones notices that too.
    Also my iPhone wants me to get a drink every Sunday because I went to a bar 2 Sundays in a row. That's already 1,5 months ago and I still get traffic info every Sunday to get to that bar :D

15. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Ok thanks for all the replies wow :) I have it in there now. I thought I clicked all the settings but I guess not! So used to turning then off with new betas! [​IMG]

Sorry for consuming your time, but then again someone else might find this useful :p

I guess I will have to wait now for it to remember places I go. Is there a way to see a history of frequent locations? or no?

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings-->Privacy-->Location Services-->System Services (at the bottom)-->Frequent Locations.

17. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

That shows you a history?

18. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, it shows your past locations - where and when you were there.

20. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Well mine doesnt BOOOO probably because I just turned it on.

21. mittencuh macrumors member

mittencuh

I turned it off after it kept telling me how far away from work I was over the long weekend ;-)

22. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Yes, I had to make sure both Next Destination and Frequent Locations were turned on, and then it takes about 2-3 weeks of repeated tracking in order for it to start working.

One interesting thing I noticed about frequent locations, not sure if this was posted or not before, but as your Frequent Locations are tracked, the built in Weather apps notices those locations, and automatically adds weather for those locations. For example, I just went on vacation last week to Virginia Beach and Washington DC. I haven't opened the Apple Weather app in weeks, yet when I opened it today, there were presets in there for Virginia Beach and DC. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I thought it was kind of cool.

23. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, it won't show it if it has been turned off. It will start recording your frequent locations in the next day or two.

24. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Ok thanks

25. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I believe you have to actually have your contact info in the phone, and have your address entered so that the phone KNOWS where "home" is, just the same as "work"...

If you go to a place every day that doesn't mean it's "work" necessarily.