Traffic Laws

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 20, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

In Minnesota, It is illegal to change lanes within 100 feet of an intersection, Where else is this illegal?

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I didn't know that. I just looked, in Ontario, Canada, it's actually legal to change lanes in an intersection. :eek:

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

you sure about that? In California athought changing lanes IN an intersection is legal it aslo considered an unsafe and there for illegal and can be cited for a unsafe lane change

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

There's no such prohibition in California unless...
    -you're passing a vehicle
    -when traveling left of the centerline
    -within 100 of an intersection

Are you sure you have the whole picture? I can't imagine overtaking a vehicle is illegal when you're on a four + laned roadway (two lanes or more each direction) at a cross street.

Do you have the Minnesota code section? I'd like to read it.

----------

Merely changing lanes (California) in an intersection is not on its face unsafe.

There is a vehicle code section that controls unsafe movement on the roadway, which does not require a lane change or passing.

Another section controls an unsafe lane change.

Another section controls passing within 100 feet of an intersection when traveling left of center.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Yes, I looked it up and thought it was illegal as well. There is no actual law against it.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/1423985-police-debunk-traffic-myths/

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't about 100 feet, but in Massachusetts, you cannot change lines at/in an intersection.

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Probably best to understand why this is the case (and it's traffic law in a lot of places - and where it isn't, it's a best practice for defensive driving in any case).

Consider a driver making a right-hand turn onto a multi-lane street. All of the traffic coming from the left is in the left hand lane, the right hand lane is clear.

That driver may decide to make the turn, seeing as how the lane he/she will be occupying is empty.

If a driver changes lanes in the intersection from the left lane to the right lane, there's going to be an issue with the turning driver.

Some areas/states are nice enough to make solid white lane stripes for those 100 feet preceding an intersection, it's a decent reminder to stay put.

How many people actually pay attention is another matter.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

yea i get you there, I see plenty of people changing lanes illegally within the 100 feet of the intersection. Turning lanes (left specifically) have a soild white line probably 300 feet long of so of an intersection, Does that mean I can blast the horn at anyone who crosses the line?

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup, it's not happening. Even if you try... good luck.

----------

Another interesting law I found out about recently. Apparently, you can't do right-on-red in some parts of NYC, but in others, you can? Not 100% sure

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Right-on-red is always illegal in NYC unless there is a sign at the intersection saying otherwise.

11. A.Goldberg, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is illegal in Connecticut as well. Living in both states I can tell you this law is not adhered to.

Also in my home state of Connecticut any device with a "video screen" (I believe that is the phrasing) is banned from being used by the driver. Therefore, technically a cop could pull you over if your car has a factory built in infotainment system, though I don't believe it's actually ever happened or the courts don't enforce it.

I know in New Jersey if you go through a yellow light your brakes (brake lights) must be on. I know a few out of state people who have been ticked for this including one who got caught on a "yellow light" camera I suppose you would call it.

You must be over 18 to drive in NYC.

In New Hampshire up until 2015 cell phones were legal to use while driving w/o a hands free device. They remain the only state that does not require seat belts for adults. I lived up there for 6 months. I can tell you, it's an interesting place. As the state motto goes, "Live Free or Die".

12. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

so it's illegal in CT to change lanes within 100 feet of a intersection?

13. A.Goldberg, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure if its 100ft before, not that I remember. I'll have to call up my driving teacher, he was this million year old Italian guy named Lou. He knew every driving law ever teaching driving for 50+ years. He'd brag that he taught Regis Philbin's kids to drive and about impressive his written driving test pass rate (which apparently didn't include people he thought were stupid). He would schmooze and buy breakfast for the state driving testers every weekend ... sounds like bribery to me. I think he's the godfather of the CT Italian mafia and in the future will use my legal information submitted 10 years ago to steal my identity. He's probably dead these days... :(

I suppose law would not be applicable to a lane change in an intersection would be a rotary/traffic circle/round about.

To add to the list-
    Technically in Rhode Island you're supposed to honk before passing on the left.*

*Sorry forgot the nuance here- it has to be a loud audible noise.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think it was 50 in Illinois, but I can't remember.

Texas has specific U turn lanes and every highway has a frontage road.

Not exactly traffic laws, but meh.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

16. three macrumors 6502a

three

Same in Washington State.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I believe you're incorrect. I don't see any Minnesota statute prohibiting it.

18. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I'm from PA and we have that same law.

19. Thekarens macrumors member

Texas has u turn lanes on the frontage road. Everywhere else you just make a u turn from the left turn lane and it's both legal and expected. At least that's how it is in Houston.

20. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

21. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

It's a law it's in the Driver's handbook

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That absolutely doesn't make sense.

If you arrive at a traffic light turning yellow, you should stop if it is safe to stop, and go through if it is not safe to stop. (Of course if you are driving too fast then neither stopping nor not stopping would be safe, that's why you shouldn't drive too fast). And of course the traffic light should be designed so that a car going at the speed limit or slightly faster, with the traffic light turning yellow while the car is at the maximum distance where it isn't safe to stop, can cross safely.

If it is not safe to stop, and you go past the yellow light, then slowing down would actually be dangerous. You stay on the crossing longer, which makes it more likely you are hit by traffic from the left or from the right. If you go past the traffic light while slowing down, you are driving dangerously.

----------

Seems they believe in natural selection.

23. Gutwrench, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Admittedly I haven't looked at the handbook for a couple years, so would you kindly just post the section? I've read all the Minnesota vehicle codes I can find and none prohibit it. I believe, while meaning well, you're just mistaken. If I'm wrong I'd like to know by seeing the section.

I'm sorry I still don't see it.
    https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Minnesota_Drivers_Manual.pdf

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The rules of the road states, don't change lines in the middle of the instersection.
    However, the lines preceding the intersection carry through the entire intersection.
    I dont know of any intersection that doesn't have a solid line preceding the intersections.
    Since the solid line means no passing zone and the solid line technically continues through the intersection then it would make it illegal.

If tickets were written for this, the T would be out of debt in 6 month.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Oh the MBTA would find a way to screw that up very quickly :rolleyes: :D