Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I just returned from a research trip overseas, opting to leave the laptop at home. Worked great, using the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, but....

Part of my research involved downloading image files from library computers to a flashdrive. It didn't hit me until too late that without a laptop, there was no way to move those files from the flashdrive to the iPad, where I needed them.

Tried using the Apple Camera Adapter (based on suggestions via Google search), but the dreaded "not enough power" error popped up.

Also tried connecting the flashdrive via a USB-to-MiniUSB to the SanDisk Media Drive I took for storing photos, but no luck. The flashdrive wouldn't even light up.

Seems this kind of transfer should be possible without a laptop (especially since the files in question are images that would slide right into Photos), but I can't for the life of me find a workable solution.

Anyone have some wisdom to share?

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Thanks for the suggestion, @chscag. I’ve seen these on Amazon, but was put off by the negative reviews. Hmmm...might be worth a shot, since upon further inspection, it appears user error factored into a number of those reviews.

Fingers crossed---this would be great for the next research trip.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
If you're skeptic to the wireless ones,try the sandisk iXpand,USB at one end,Lightning connector in the other,works great for storing files and move between platforms. The companion app,that's free,also makes it possible to read file formats that's not normally work with iOS devices.

Reactions: xoAnna

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
If you're skeptic to the wireless ones,try the sandisk iXpand,USB at one end,Lightning connector in the other,works great for storing files and move between platforms. The companion app,that's free,also makes it possible to read file formats that's not normally work with iOS devices.

Great suggestion—feels a bit more reliable, but odds are, I'll try both. Always good to have a backup (as learned on the most recent trip when, for no apparent reason, the library's computer refused to recognize one of my always-reliable flash drives...thankfully, one of the others I had along worked fine).

Yet again, grateful for the shared wisdom here in the forums! :)

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Another option: purchase an SD card, and an SD card reader with a USB interface. Transfer photos from library computer to SD card using the card reader, then take the SD card out of the reader and put it in the Apple Camera Adapter. The Apple adapter won't have any idea about the origin of the photos, it just knows it is an SD card, and it's got photos on it. You should be able to acquire an SD card (of modest size) and a card reader for less than $20.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Another option: purchase an SD card, and an SD card reader with a USB interface. Transfer photos from library computer to SD card using the card reader, then take the SD card out of the reader and put it in the Apple Camera Adapter. The Apple adapter won't have any idea about the origin of the photos, it just knows it is an SD card, and it's got photos on it. You should be able to acquire an SD card (of modest size) and a card reader for less than $20.
This only works for photos,the iXpand works for ALL files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.