Transferring phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Secallan, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Secallan macrumors newbie

So I still own an old sliding keyboard phone and am finally earning enough money to buy myself a smartphone. If I purchase an unlocked AT&T (my carrier) iphone off ebay, would I be able to just switch the SD card over and have it work properly? Im trying to go around setting up an actual plan, I don't need data. All I need this smart phone to do is text and make calls, Im fine with using Wifi for anything else.

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Smartphones require a data plan.

Call your carrier to hear options.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Also, iPhone does not have SD card slot. If you want an iPhone, port your data on SD card to iPhone memory when needed.

4. Secallan thread starter macrumors newbie

Next question! I called my carrier and if I were to switch my information over from a Mini Sim card over to a Nano sim card, it should work? Im just trying to get other opinions
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Sorry I meant to say Sim Card.
    If I were to switch my information over from a Mini Sim card over to a Nano sim card, then put it in the iphone, do you think that would work? So I'd still have call and text, no data

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

That would be a question they (carrier) would answer best.

If your phone is old, it may not work in the new phone.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You need to figure out the plan before worrying about moving contacts over, etc.

7. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

It's not that easy. The old phone is probably not using the same coding,ask your carrier or local phone store if they can help. A smartphone withouth a data plan is useless for everything except phone calls and SMS,so if I did not want a data connection,I would have bought something cheaper than an iPhone.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can go to settings/contacts/import sim contacts.
    That will transfer the contacts you have stored on your current sim to your iphone.
    You might have to cut/trim down your sim card if its not a nano sim size.
    Also in order to take full advantage of your iPhone you'll need a data plan.
    If you're on a post paid AT&T account the system will detect you using a smartphone without an appropriate data package so they might add it automatically like they always did in the past.