Transparent background HOW?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by africano, Nov 22, 2016.

1. africano macrumors member

Hi,

I have seen an example of a video of someone talking on top of their business card. So, when it is scanned with an app (augmented reality) it trigger the video to play and the video has a transparent background. This means that the person appears to be standing in the business card.

I have videoed in front of a green screen but I cant figure out how to export the video with NO background....at the moment I have either the video with green screen behind or with a black background after exporting from greenscreen app.

Can someone help??

Thanks (I have been assured that it is easy....and that a tutorial is coming but I want to figure it out first!)

Thanks!

2. dorsal macrumors member

The black background is your alpha channel. You need to combine that file with your business card file. Many apps can do it.
    Such as this for iMovie:

3. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

You need to export the green-screened clip using a codec that supports the alpha channel (i.e. transparency). Many codecs don't, that's why you end up with a black background instead. Try ProRes4444; it creates large files but handles alpha well. If that doesn't work, try the Animation codec.

Also, if you get a choice between "Millions of Colors" and "Millions of Colors+", choose the latter.

I hope this helps!

4. africano thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies....but need further clarification....at this point I have recorded the video and saved from GreenScreen App.

My video has a black background (after exporting from GreenScreen App). Now what do I do.....What program do I use?

Thanks.

5. africano thread starter macrumors member

6. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

I don't know the app you are using. What export options does it give you, in terms of codec and other settings?

The fact that you are seeing a black background (instead of transparency) suggests that you need to export it differently. Again, ProRes 4444 is your friend. But without knowing what options your app supports, I don't know what else to tell you.

Have you contacted the app's support?