Transparent menu bar removed at last minute!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by canyonblue737, Oct 25, 2007.

1. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

See: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=263996&st=4005&start=4005

The user just installed what they claimed is the shipping version of OS X and there are no transparent menu bars to be seen. Some screenshots are appearing elsewhere without transparent menu bars, but of course tons with transparent bars ARE appearing. Could it be because some Macs don't support the transparency? This guy was running a Powerbook...

What's up?

2. Ariez macrumors regular

I think it gives u the option to turn it off or something.

They wont get rid of it though...

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think what is happening is that if it would slow down the hardware too much then Leopard turns it off.

4. lateralus1082 macrumors member

Works fine on my end

Attached Files:

5. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Can somebody confirm whether or not menu bar transparency can be turned off?

6. lateralus1082 macrumors member

No, it cannot be turned off.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah but what are you running? That other thread clearly implies it could be that he is running on a powerbook and a certain gpu may be in order.

8. lateralus1082 macrumors member

20" 2.0 Core Duo iMac

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, it probably turns it off if your hardware can't handle it.

As for there being an option to turn it off, I doubt it. I figure an app like TinkerTool or something will give you that option, though.

10. canyonblue737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the OS has the ability to turn it off but no menu option to do it... you can believe it will be a matter of days before a freeware app comes out that will trip the option no matter what GPU hardware you have running.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just received leopard and installed it. i can definately confirm that there is no option to turn off transparancy.

ive got a MBP core duo so i cant confirm whether the menubar transparency is disbaled if you specs cant handle it. people might be placing a white strip on their background picture or "hacking" the menubar to disable transparency. im not sure.

but for machines that can handle the transparency it all depends on what background you use. dark background its hardly transparent and light background is a little transparent... youll all know what i mean when you get your copy.

12. leigh.roy macrumors newbie

It seems to be determined by the background. I have a very dark background and the Transparency is off, for obvious reason. If I change it to one of the Nature shots then the Transparency turns back on.

I don't think your hardware will have anything to do with it. I can't imagine this sort of feature being more resource intensive than Expose.

13. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I am having the same problem, everything else works fine except menu bar is not semi transparent, I'm guessing its a bug or something :confused:

14. Queso macrumors G4

If it does detect and disable accordingly, this can probably be manipulated with the Terminal's defaults command once someone finds the right options. Which is great because I don't want it :)

15. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I've read this implication elsewhere, but it doesn't make much sense. A simple transparancy can easily be handled by any G4 Powerbook, after all Tiger has transparancy in the menus. If its not a bug, its certainly an odd feature.

16. danpat macrumors newbie

depends on background

I'm now up and running on Leopard and I can confirm the semi trans menu bar is still around (~sigh~) and there is not an option to turn off.

As far as 'looking' on or off it depends on the desktop image. Ive tried with a few different backgrounds and dark images do not cause the menu bar to show much transparency.

Some samples:
    http://myskitch.com/danpatmore/magical-20071026-222417.jpg
    http://myskitch.com/danpatmore/magical-20071026-222501.jpg
    http://myskitch.com/danpatmore/magical-20071026-222525.jpg
    http://myskitch.com/danpatmore/magical-20071026-222607.jpg
    http://myskitch.com/danpatmore/magical-20071026-222636.jpg

17. Queso macrumors G4

I think I'm just going to Photoshop any desktop images I use and change the top to a horizontal white bar :)

18. duyvan82 macrumors member

the menu bar will not be transparent on Macs equipped with graphic cards that don't support core animation/core image (i just don't remember which one)

19. Selenolycus macrumors regular

An example of why the transparent menu bar can lead to horror...

Attached Files:

20. Tygernoot macrumors member

21. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

What's wrong with it? Nice peach btw.:p

22. Selenolycus macrumors regular

It's too... peach, imho. I like a contrast between the bar and the desktop.

23. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I actually got a whiff of orange when I enlarged that image.

Strange how your smell can be triggered by what you see. Or is that just me?

24. Queso macrumors G4

The smell of citrus fruits can signal the beginning of an epileptic seizure :eek:

I hope you're still there.

25. mrbill macrumors newbie

I was wondering why I just have a grey menu bar at work (1.25Ghz PPC Mini) and translucent at home (Core Duo 2Ghz iMac).

Attached Files: