Traveling with your ipad (flying)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Hola,

Usually my iPad(2) stays at home, without a case at all, not even a cover. Never needed one. I like the "naked" feel of using it, and I'm careful enough with it that I've never needed one.

I am going to Myrtle beach in late august and I'd like to take it with me. What are your experiences in traveling with your iPad?

1) how is an iPad handled going through airport security? Can you put it in your bag or do you have to put it in a tray?

2) i assume I'll need a case. I'll probably buy one on eBay for cheap. Any recommendation? Ideally a thin lightweight case that just prevents scratches.

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I travel a lot, and I have never had to take my iPad out of my bag going through security... unlike a laptop

Perhaps an InCase neoprene sleeve?
    Not sure they are available for the iPad 2 or not, but would assume they are

I am currently using the BookBook case for my iPad 1

3. shotts56 macrumors 6502

In the UK you do need to take your iPad out of your bag, just the same as a laptop. This was brought in a couple of months ago.

4. Papanate macrumors regular

I travel with a iPad and a MacBook Pro. The iPad stays in my computer bag while the MBP lives in a NeoPreme sleeve outside the bag.

I have one of the magnetic leather covers on the iPad which has served me well. I also like the 'naked' feel - but I would never travel with it unprotected.

FYI If you are flying in/out of RDU the TSA people there are worse than average - they may make you take out your iPad in which case protection would be Mandatory.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

in the us i have never had to remove it. security is no problem. i have the ipad 1 with original case. this is probably the most beautiful case i have ever seen, and i am very much in love with it. amazingly, it is also one of the least expensive. unfortunately, it is not good for the ipad 2.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/B

you might want to try a waterfield sleeve.
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/suedejacket-ipad.php

or, if you are a little more daring, the g-form.
    http://g-form.com/product/ipad-extreme-sleeve/

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've been through Heathrow several times and have not

7. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

You're sometimes lucky but 9 times out of 10 you need to take it out anywhere in Europe.

8. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

Schiphol also used to not need it taken out, but they do now...3 times ive had to take it out in a row now.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Same in Scandinavia, you have to take it out, heck in Denmark you have to take your laptop out of the case aswell

10. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I've never had to do that...

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In the US laptops typically have to be taken out naked and put in a tub by themselves

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

No. The TSA modified its rules several years ago, and I have not had to remove my laptop from its sleeve since then.

On my last flight I didn't have to remove my iPad from my bag. It is entirely possible that they will ask you to do so at some point (there is variation after all), so it would be a great idea to have some kind of cover.

13. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Some sleeves are allowed now. I flew out of Dallas last week. They had pictures of approved format bags for laptops at the security area. I removed my laptop but did not remove iPad from my case.

14. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I got one of those fancy Wenger Swiss Army backpacks and it has a dedicated iPad/laptop compartment. It has the airport friendly label on it--you can just zip the whole thing apart and lay it out on the belt and run it through. Theoretically, that is. I have not flown since buying my iPad, but on my last flight, I sure wished I had one.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I take mine on flights all the time. It doesn't have to be pulled out of your bag like a laptop does. I carry on two bags - my purse, and a slightly larger bag just big enough for my Kindle and my iPad. (I don't do the whole "carry everything I own and try to cram it in an overhead bin" routine - I just check my damn bag and be done with it.) The purse, bag and my shoes go in one tray. Have never had anyone look twice at it.

For covers, I confess mine isn't cheap. But it's gorgeous, and very protective. Check out iPad cases at www.oberondesign.com. Here's mine!

Attached Files:

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

That's good to know. My very least favorite thing to do when traveling was get through the security checks with a laptop--I hated it so much I usually didn't bring one. You already have to worry about taking off your shoes, jewelry, watch, etc., getting your bag on the belt, going through the scanner. Having yet another dedicated bin for your laptop is just a pain. Plus I just hate having an extra bag to lug through the airport. I sold my laptop when I got my iPad 2 and have not regretted it yet. It fits very nicely in a backpack.

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I zip through security - I wear slip-on shoes, no belt, no jewelry. I'm usually standing there on the other side waiting for my bin to come out, because it's backed up behind everyone else's bin while they re-dress themselves!

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

We took a trip to California last summer. I decided to take my laptop with me. We also had my three year old son, a stroller, our luggage, and our carry ons. My wife was pregnant and wasn't able to help much with carrying things. By the time we got through security, I wanted to drop kick my laptop bag. Yes, it came in handy during the trip, but only because I didn't have a smartphone or an iPad at the time. One or the other would have been much nicer. iPad 1 had just come out and I saw several people with them at the airport. I think that's when I decided I wanted one.

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hee. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'd probably be more tempted to dropkick the kids, rather than my MBP!

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To be honest, your mileage may vary
    There is not always a consistent travel experience when it comes to airports, time of day or TSA agents

The bottom line... if they tell you to take it out (laptop or even iPad), you just do it

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I feel ya on that one, sister.

At the time, we only had one, and he was being surprisingly easy going that day. My laptop bag on the other hand was getting heavier and heavier on my shoulder as time went on, and kept slipping and flopping around while I was lugging all the other stuff.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I've flown in an out of Heathrow several times in the last few months and never had I take my iPad out.

24. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

25. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Wow these are very nice. I don't want to spend that much though =)