MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will likely unveil its next-generation "iPhone 12s" or "iPhone 13" lineup in around two and a half months from now, and ahead of time, Taiwanese research firm TrendForce has outlined its expectations for the devices.

iphone-13-yellow.jpg

A summary of TrendForce's expectations:
  • Apple will unveil four new iPhones in September, including a mini model, a standard model, and two Pro models. September is the usual month for Apple to unveil new iPhones, but the iPhone 12 lineup was announced in October last year due to reported COVID-19-related production delays.
  • The new iPhones will have a smaller notch above the display, but will otherwise have a similar outward design as iPhone 12 models.
  • The devices will be powered by Apple's next-generation A15 chip manufactured based on TSMC's 5nm+ process.
  • All four iPhones will be equipped with OLED displays, while the two Pro models will also feature a 120Hz refresh rate for smoother content.
  • The new iPhones will have the same storage capacity options as their iPhone 12 counterparts. iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 models are available with 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB of storage, while 12 Pro models have a 512GB option.
  • The rear camera system on all four iPhones will be equipped with sensor-shift image stabilization, a feature that is currently exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro Max. For the new Pro models, the Ultra Wide lens will gain autofocus.
  • The LiDAR Scanner will remain limited to the Pro models.
With the pandemic showing signs of easing in the United States and Europe, TrendForce forecasted that annual iPhone production for 2021 will grow by around 12.3% on a year-over-year basis to 223 million units. The research firm believes the "iPhone 12s" lineup will account for nearly 40% of that total production volume.

Article Link: TrendForce: iPhone 13 Lineup Will Remain Limited to Maximum 512GB of Storage

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2020
They have to put the batt % number back if the notch is getting smaller I hate the fact they don’t have it now it’s because they don’t want us seeing it drop down so much

kc2kth

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
From a marketing perspective Apple should not call this the ‘13’. Call it the 12s and then skip to 14.

For my wife and I this will be our upgrade from existing 7 Plus (hers) and 8 Plus (mine). Her 7s is starting to go and battery on my 8s is basically shot.

From a marketing perspective Apple should not call this the ‘13’
Yeah, as a US-based company, it would be a bit surprising if they actually called it the iPhone 13 as a marketing name.

Gotta love Apple marketing though - take the current base model: it's called the iPhone 12, but it's internally referred to as the "iPhone13,2", and it's actually a 14th-generation iPhone!

Phuz01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Max iPad Pro capacity is now 2TB; 512GB for a mobile device with professional video/photography specs is beyond stingy. I was planning an upgrade from my 512GB 11 Pro Max, but without a capacity bump, there's no way I'm spending the kind of cash they want for a new Pro Max, even with 5G. Hoping this report is incorrect.

gmarm

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
Yeah, as a US-based company, it would be a bit surprising if they actually called it the iPhone 13 as a marketing name.

Gotta love Apple marketing though - take the current base model: it's called the iPhone 12, but it's internally referred to as the "iPhone13,2", and it's actually a 14th-generation iPhone!
Would be so much simpler if we could have iPhone + year, but I don't see this happening

Cosmosent

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I can't speak to outside the States, but here, the cellular carriers "Shot their Wod" with the 1st-Gen 5G iPhones !

That doesn't bode well for the 2nd-Gen 5G iPhones having much market success, irrespective of whatever Features & Capabilities they may offer.

The Xs & Xs Max were far better iPhones than the X (due mostly to more DRAM), but the X was the first super-Hyped iPhone, & as such, Reported iPhone Revenue actually went down 2% year-to-year.

I suspect a BIGGER hit will occur this time; I'm predicting 5-10% hit.

Populus

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Is Touch ID still believed to be a part of the 13, or has it been set for a later model?
I am VERY afraid of this, because I don’t want to be typing my passcode every now and then while I’m on the street or in a facility wearing a mask. Hopefully Face ID has evolved enough to detect faces with a mask on (and no, I’m not getting an Apple Watch)

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
I don't quite agree. For people that like to keep their whole photo libraries on device like myself, it would have been great.

Sorta curious to know what the size of your storage is now. I keep a fair amount of photos / movies on my 256 gb phone, and I have 100 gb remaining. Are people just reacting to the rumors (not news), or are their current 512 gb phones chock full?

senttoschool

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2017
From a marketing perspective Apple should not call this the ‘13’. Call it the 12s and then skip to 14.

For my wife and I this will be our upgrade from existing 7 Plus (hers) and 8 Plus (mine). Her 7s is starting to go and battery on my 8s is basically shot.
No 14 either. Super bad luck number in China.

Reactions: amartinez1660

bradman83

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

Apple had no qualms about using 13 for iOS/iPadOS 13 two years ago, or the A13 chip in last year’s iPhone 11. I do think it’s possible this year’s model might simply be called the 12S instead of the 13 given how minor the changes are. They’ve only skipped S models twice since the 3GS - from the 7 to the 8 (likely because they simultaneously released the X and wanted the two to be closer in model numbers - skipping 9 entirely) and from 11 to 12, because the case design changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.