Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wow, I'm amazed more wasn't made of Reznor's involvement with Beats. The man is a stellar talent, and a forward thinker on technology in music.

Didn't he release a few of his tracks as Garageband files a few years back so people could do their own remixing?

Now that would be an interesting direction...

Yes, Bite the Hand that Feeds came out in very-editable GarageBand format--it was fun to mess around with! I changed his voice to a woman.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Not suddenly, this guy has been pushing computer music technology longer than most of you have had jobs. He was one of the first to give desktop computer sound edit suite developers a reality check on z-transforms concering music filtering for different music genres.

These are probably the most straight up facts this thread is going to get.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Still missing one that got away?

----------

Not suddenly, this guy has been pushing computer music technology longer than most of you have had jobs. He was one of the first to give desktop computer sound edit suite developers a reality check on z-transforms concering music filtering for different music genres.

And YES, the guy can code.

Both of these comments make no sense either due to poor grammar, spelling, or general lack of coherent thought. If Trent Reznor was pushing music technology for so long, as you (attempt to) state, where is the progress or results? Playing in your basement and coming up with random ideas doesn't count for s...

Apple is trotting out the early 1990's music all-stars. Except... its the 2000-teens. It makes no sense.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Even though his participation in new Apple music services could in part just be consequent of his preexisting role with Beats, I still feel like this could be a great indication that they're working seriously with a lossless/much-higher-quality format.

If he is having significant input on higher-quality delivery, I think that's a really promising sign.

Memorymoog

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I don't assume to know more than the industry higher-ups that give out these awards, nor do I have anything against Reznor (never liked NIN, just not my style). I was sitting in the movie theater with my wife for The Social Network, with absolutely NO prejudice about the score, and I HATED IT. I am a musician, albiet not a film score composer, and I just didn't get it. It was overbearing and, at times, down right odd. I'm sorry, but if you NOTICE the film score while the actors are trying to tell a story, then you have a problem. I was truly shocked when I heard that score won an award.

Years later, I'm in the same theater with the same wife to see Gone Girl. Mid way through the film I feel like I'm in an aquarium with a simulated submarine sonar ping mixed in for good measure. I say to my wife, "Trent Reznor?". "Yep." "Ugh."

Everyone likes different music & styles indeed. Personally love lots of NIN & Reznor's work. As far noticing a score, for me I notice if it stands out as something good. I really appreciate that kind of stuff though. Think about The Social Network without that score though....not very interesting. It created lots of tension & build up for otherwise many plain scenes.

Cabby

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Both of these comments make no sense either due to poor grammar, spelling, or general lack of coherent thought. If Trent Reznor was pushing music technology for so long, as you (attempt to) state, where is the progress or results? Playing in your basement and coming up with random ideas doesn't count for s...

Apple is trotting out the early 1990's music all-stars. Except... its the 2000-teens. It makes no sense.

Yeah music and technology haven't progressed at all since the 90's.... :rolleyes:

If they were simply "trotting out early 1990's music all-stars" they likely wouldn't have picked Trent Reznor. He's a creative and smart guy with a different perspective on things. If they want him on staff to put in his two cents, they certainly have the money to, so what's the big deal. You seem pretty defensive about the whole thing.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Very big fan of Reznor. Definitely a guy that get's it. His is or at least was very against huge labels scooping up all the cash for artists and eventually terminated his contract and released his ablums for free on myspace back when that was a thing.

Very talented and seems like he really wants to do right by the artists.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple make a lot of money from iTunes music sales. I can't see them wanting to lose that so whatever solution they come up with will have to generate the same amount of revenue. I don't know how many streaming music subscriptions that adds up to but my guess is it's a lot more than Beats has right now.

Artists are already complaining that they're not making any money from streaming music subscriptions. I can't see how a further push in this direction is going to help them.

IMO the only thing worth shouting about at the Grammys would be a full out launch of iTunes HD Music to rejuvenate flagging music sales. Especially if it was accompanied by a new range of speakers engineered to delivered the best quality sound.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Reznor is there for window dressing. What the hell does he know about how to stream music? He's suddenly a programmer?

Actually, Reznor knows a lot about programming. He has written some of his own music software that he uses to make music. He also has a team of very talented individuals that help program equipment NIN uses for live shows. Including custom applications that control PC Kinect cameras for live shows, lighting, and displays.

I remember back in '97 or '98 when he had a Mac Server farm and created a live orchestra/marching band completely from a synthesizer using 12 Mac Pro towers. It was later deconstructed and remixed for the album The Fragile.

You'd be surprised but musicians tend to know technology & electronics better than you think

Memorymoog

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Apple make a lot of money from iTunes music sales. I can't see them wanting to lose that so whatever solution they come up with will have to generate the same amount of revenue. I don't know how many streaming music subscriptions that adds up to but my guess is it's a lot more than Beats has right now.

Artists are already complaining that they're not making any money from streaming music subscriptions. I can't see how a further push in this direction is going to help them.

IMO the only thing worth shouting about at the Grammys would be a full out launch of iTunes HD Music to rejuvenate flagging music sales. Especially if it was accompanied by a new range of speakers engineered to delivered the best quality sound.

It would be great if they would offer a choice of what format you want: mp3, flac, etc. (add flac support) & different bit rates. Otherwise Itunes HD is just a marketing term.

I just don't think that matters to most people...esp when the majority are streaming low quality on crap headphones/systems anyways. I don't see that as a priority to Apple.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
It's been my experience that programmers and coders don't have a clue as to what customer's needs are. It takes someone else to tell them.

Reznor is there for window dressing. What the hell does he know about how to stream music? He's suddenly a programmer?

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
It's been my experience that programmers and coders don't have a clue as to what customer's needs are. It takes someone else to tell them.

This is pretty much why linux distros will never have a decent UI lol

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
So with all the talented software engineers and creative talent apple has. They think a frontman for a rock band can create something that is good. Let's see what happens here then....

So with all the talented software engineers and creative talent apple has...
... why did they never seem to be able to make a streaming service that works
... why did they decide buying Beats was a good idea

Many times Apple and others have hired new talent when they don't feel they've managed to find what works. There's nothing wrong with acquiring businesses that are successful or have come up with great ideas. How many businesses did Apple and Google buy in the last year? And that's with all their talented software engineers and creative talent.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
I don't assume to know more than the industry higher-ups that give out these awards, nor do I have anything against Reznor (never liked NIN, just not my style). I was sitting in the movie theater with my wife for The Social Network, with absolutely NO prejudice about the score, and I HATED IT. I am a musician, albiet not a film score composer, and I just didn't get it. It was overbearing and, at times, down right odd. I'm sorry, but if you NOTICE the film score while the actors are trying to tell a story, then you have a problem. I was truly shocked when I heard that score won an award.

Years later, I'm in the same theater with the same wife to see Gone Girl. Mid way through the film I feel like I'm in an aquarium with a simulated submarine sonar ping mixed in for good measure. I say to my wife, "Trent Reznor?". "Yep." "Ugh."

That is the wonderful thing about the music industry. There is enough different music find something you like and something you don't.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I wish he and Apple good luck. Streaming may be here to stay but I have to disagree with Mr. Rezner. I LIKE having "ownership" of my purchased content on my LOCAL drives. This includes music, videos, and everything else. It is the entertainment industry pushing for "streaming" as they don't want anyone to "own" anything. It is all about control. That is the end game here.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I pray that Beats will replace the atrocity that is iTunes.

Monkeys throwing feces at a wall is surprisingly more useful than iTunes.

hutchitl

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Reznor is not there to create the latest streaming algorithm, he's there to find new CONCEPTS of how streaming can work. For example, should we download the next 3 songs to your device while listening to the previous one? How should we organize stations? Should there be stations at all? Should music change based on your mood? Not HOW to CODE it, but the IDEA of it. Throwing hundreds or thousands of ideas at a wall, and then going back and back and narrowing down to the right ones takes a LOT of time and thought.

I think Reznor is also involved because he has a lot of pull in the music industry. So by working on various projects Reznor can determine how artists can be financially rewarded while creating an innovative and exciting listening experience for the consumer.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008

He's likely not a programmer (he could be for all I know - it's not that hard to learn), but if he isn't - THAT is the whole point.

STEVE JOBS wasn't a programmer either.

Apple gets it that you don't just let the nerds create products, or you'd end up with.....Microsoft. You also need big thinkers who understand the real world - in this case they've acquired Beats who employs musicians and music industry experts.

When they first bought them, I too was like, WTF? Headphones? But they also got all of the streaming deals Beats already negotiated, without the record labels holding them by the b@11s just because they're Apple.

When record labels and Metallica were all freaking out about Napster, MP3s and piracy, Apple + iTunes saved them.

Now they are all freaking out about Spotify and falling digital sales...and Apple is poised once again, to save them.

As is their secret formula, they waited the appropriate amount of time to come to streaming. And they'll bring the best Hardware, Software, and Big Thinkers to deliver the best solution....not first, but best.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Trent has changed his tune a bit since praising the old pirate music site, Oink.cd then ;)

He's now a corporate man, through and through. I guess it's too be expected when you settle down and start having kids.

----------

NIN has always been good but that whole Ghost thing kind was bland.

Hesitation Marks sounds like he was singing songs other people wrote...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.