Tripped 3GS Water sensor last night

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan42, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

Last night I was going back in a friend's house after working outside for hours on their pool equipment, and I had a glass with about a fourth of a melted ice cube in between my arm and my body, and my phone was in that hand. I bent down to pick something up and spilled the .2 oz on the phone and a drop of it went into the HP jack and tripped the water sensor.

Words can't describe how pissed I am right now that my warranty is void on a brand new phone. Even worse is that I've needed the warranty on every other iPhone I've ever had, multiple times, because the build quality is generally poor and what usually happens is my ring/silent switch goes nuts/falls off/etc. I just know that this is going to cause problems in the future.

What's even more sickening is that I left the phone on a table far away from me because I was working on pool equipment and 150 GPM pumps and the like and figured there was a high possibility of my pants getting soaked, which didn't actually happen. When it did get wet was when I picked it up from its "safe place" and went inside. If I would have left it in my pocket I would have been fine. Ugh.

Any suggestions for this problem? I just know I'm going to need the warranty later on, and we all know the water that tripped the sensor won't be related to what will break later.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could try dabbing some bleach (or maybe white paint) on the sensor. I've read about others using that method. :rolleyes:

3. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

You could just take it back to ATT and complain about something with it. I doubt they know to look at the water sensor before swapping. If there's nothing wrong with it, just tell them you want another color.

4. hellrider macrumors regular

He'll probably have to pay the $20 restocking fee, but it is a small price to pay.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

that is almost always the first thing they look at. so that wont work

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You can try to get a replacement through your homeowners or renters insurance. If it's covered under your insurance, perhaps it get lost, stolen or broken? Stepped on maybe?

Get insurance, then in a couple months, take care of it.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You could start a thread here and see how many people respond with ways to defraud a company. :rolleyes:

I vote for the insurance route providing you already have it. Otherwise, accidents happen.

8. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I wish someone sold/Apple included a headphone nub you could keep on the headphone port when there were no headphones in the unit. Everytime it rains, even drizzles I put my finger on top of the headphone jack while talking incase a drop falls in.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

How is it the responsibility of Apple or AT&T to provide you with a new phone due to your carelessness?

Maybe if you had to shell out the $199 for a replacement at the Apple store you would be more careful in the future.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

If you buy a switch easy case it comes with a port plug for the headphone jack and charging jack.

11. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Take it in. Complain that when you got the box, the box was water logged if you got it through the mail. Then just get on the phone with apple care and continue to persist (if within 14 days), I got one of my iPhones replaced like this.

It's not the best route nor the honorable route, but if you want to save $400, then do it.

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Stole the words right out of my mouth...;)

13. samcraig macrumors P6

This is exactly what I'm talking about in the thread I started. Seriously? You kept persisting? You damaged your own phone and expect someone else to bail you out?

Encouraging this behaviour shouldn't be tolerated. If you dented your own car would you bring it back to the dealer?

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I vote you return it if you're within your 14 days...because you never really did like the color of it, did you?

15. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You know, maybe if AT&T would allow insurance on the iPhone like just about EVERY other phone they sell, people wouldn't have to get creative on how to insure their property.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

A lot of master cards / and all American Express offer 60 day damage warranty's (100% coverage with no deductible). That is the route I would take - no defrauding required.

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Get creative on how to insure their property? You're going to take that angle?

Anyone can get renters or home owners article insurance on the iPhone for around $40 a year which would cover things like this.

The fact that people who chose not to make excuses and expect others to bail them out is pathetic... yes, pathetic!

As someone else posted, if you dent your new car in the parking lot do you rush back to the dealer and demand to get it fixed for free? :rolleyes:

18. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

AMEX = 90 days

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

AT&T offers insurance on smartphones?

20. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

The dent though doesn't void the warranty on your engine.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok - you drive your car into the lake (by accident)

do you take it back to the place you bought it and ask for a new car?

There - happy with that scenario since it's equivelant now?

22. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think it's so stupid how people care sooo much over what other people do to "defraud" apple! Who cares what they do?! Do you really think that you telling a few people on a forum to stop is goin to keep the other millions of people fromdoing what they want? Just relax and get over it. :rolleyes:

23. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

People care because someone has to pay for it in the end.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

"I think it's so stupid how people care sooo much over what other people do to "defraud" apple! Who cares what they do?! Do you really think that you telling a few people on a forum to stop is goin to keep the other millions of people fromdoing what they want? Just relax and get over it. "

And I think it's stupid to encourage the behavior. So if you have a problem, you can get over it.

and defraud shouldn't be in quotes. They aren't pseudo-defrauding. They have self-admittingly LIED to Apple about their circumstance.

And I care enough to post to bring awareness to it. Will it stop others? No - probably not. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't speak up.

Think globally - act locally. Period.

25. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I bet it doesn't cost apple much at all to just change the sensors and put the phone right back in one of those white boxes under the genius bar...Heck I am probably have one of those phones right now for all in know...