Trouble adapting to iPad resolution coming from iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cowbellallen, Jul 17, 2011.

1. cowbellallen macrumors regular

I guess I've been spoiled, but I have to admit I get a bit of a headache while using the iPad. It's still a joy to use, but I can only use it with a stand because anything else within arms reach tends me to make my eyes a bit tired.

For those of you that noticed this when you first bought your iPad, could you tell me if this is something that goes away and you just get used to it? I love the functionality of the device, but just looking at it kinda makes me a bit nauseous.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

3. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Can't say I have had this problem, maybe due to the screen size I don't notice as much :confused:

4. Stefx73 macrumors regular

You would hate my 60" LCD TV and my 24" LCD computer monitor
    LOL

5. macrat macrumors regular

And my 55" 3D HDTV and iMac 27. :D And yet my iPad 2 remains my favorite device. My iPhone is simply used for taking and receiving calls nowadays and as a tethering device for the iPad.

6. aleni macrumors 68020

yes im spoiled too by the iPhone's screen. the ipad seems blurry than your lcd tv or monitor because you don't watch them as close as the iPad.

by the way i try to use the iPad in landscape mode so it gives you bigger font when looking at the website and try to see them not so close to my eyes.

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I am using my Evo 3D (high pixel density screen) and iPad 2. There are times when I wish iPad 2 had a little bit higher pixel density, to text would be crisper, but it really does not bother me.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've never experienced this issue, going from my iPad first gen to iPhone 4. I still think my iPad has a brilliant screen.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I agree...for a portable device, my iPad2 display is beautiful to watch video, view pictures, documents or pdf's or FaceTime with...I have no complaints with the display...

10. Shakko macrumors member

While I never felt nauseous going from using the iphone4 retina display to my ipad2, the pixel density definitely sticks out and you will notice the pixels on the iPad when using it up close. But, after a while, you just adjust to it and it doesn't seem to be a bother anymore..

11. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't know what my problem is, but after about 3 weeks I still haven't gotten used to the resolution. Kinda upsetting cause it was a pretty expensive device. My own fault though that I didn't realize this problem when testing it at the store.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

This is when I first realized I needed bifocals. :D

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

There is still nothing like the iPhone 4 screen, but I find the iPad 2 screen to be quite vibrant and crisp, even though it's not a "retina" display.

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Try using in landscape mode. That's the way I use mine. That should help.

Also, not to be rude, but are you in your early 40s? If so, that could have something to do with it. My vision changed a lot in my early 40s. Something to do with the muscles around the lens in the eye losing their ability to readily contract. This is why suddenly, at 40, we need reading glasses. I've noticed when I go from one "eye intensive" task to another, my eyes take forever to adjust.

And then, after the reading glasses, the rest of you falls apart. ;)

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

One more question - what are you using it for? If you are reading books versus surfing or watching videos, it's probably going to affect you more. I personally have never enjoyed reading on my iPad or iPhone - it's just too hard on the eyes. For reading, it's Kindle, all the way.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I love reading on mine. I read regular books, but I especially love magazines. I'm currently addicted to The Daily and I also read Wired every month. If I were reading strictly fiction every day, I would probably just get a Kindle, but I find as I'm getting older that I'd rather sit and read articles. Novels tend to cause me to doze off for some reason. When I'm reading news or magazines, the subject matter constantly changes so I stay more interested. So for those kinds of publications, there is nothing like an iPad.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You can actually get that content on a Kindle as well. But you are right, news and magazines are a bit different. For one thing, you don't read a magazine for 3 hours in one sitting.

When I'm talking about reading, I'm talking about diving into a book and not surfacing for a few hours, like I do. That's when an iPad will give you a serious case of eyestrain.

18. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've needed reading glasses since the fifth grade o_o Does that mean I'll start falling apart when I'm 30?

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Pretty much. You are doomed!

20. snow blind macrumors regular

Hmm... I frequently read for 4+ hours at a time on my iPad2 and have no eyestrain whatsoever. Maybe it's because I manually adjust brightness... maybe it's because I have "good eyes"? All I can say is i've never experienced that and I read a full book on mine ever few days.

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

And yet, you are snow blind. Ha!

There are always exceptions to every rule. However, it's pretty much a given that reading for long periods of time on a backlit screen (a tablet, a phone, a computer) is generally more uncomfortable over long periods of time than reading a printed page or something that closely mimics a printed page.

I daresay if you were to conduct an experiment with yourself - reading a printed book for a couple of hours and then transitioning to your iPad for a couple more hours, you'd notice a difference, even if slight.

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

It really is up to the individual user. I used my Kindles extensively since they were first introduced but haven't gone back since the original iPad came out. The other day we went to the neighborhood pool and I borrowed my son's newest-generation Kindle to read. Don't really care for it. It's superior to the iPad in direct sunlight, but that's about it. Under nearly every other lighting condition I prefer the iPad (and I read at least a book a week on it - in addition to lots of websites/Flipboard on my daily train commute). My Kindle 2 has sat unused for the last 15 months.

23. snow blind macrumors regular

Haha.. didn't even think about the user name :D

Oh no.. you're correct on that... when outside I only use my kindle. In a normally lit room either is fine... however, in a dimly lit room the kindle or a real book with a lamp is much nicer.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Again, I'm talking hard core reading. Not one book a week, more like one (or more) books per day! One a day is normal for me - 2-3 per day on the weekends or when I'm on vacation.

Since the OP never said (and I just realized this thread was originally posted a few weeks ago) what he/she was doing on the iPad, my only point was to say that if the OP is reading for many hours a day, rather than just surfing the web or answering emails, etc., that could be one reason why he/she was having trouble adjusting to the screen.

25. vega07 macrumors 65816

Yes, I was troubled at first because we are really spoiled by the retina display. But I just got over it and learned to accept it.