Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Any fans? I just finished watching the first season and was pleasantly surprised. I was a little weary going into knowing only it was about vampires but a friend of mine kept pushing me watch it. Anyway I watched the whole thing in like 3 days, it's addictive! I love how the show picks up right where it left off. very cool. Hopefully the second season lives up to the first.
thoughts?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I am... I enjoy it quite a bit. I got HBO just to watch it... :( :)

It's based on a series of novels. If you search for Sookie Stackhouse on Amazon they'll come up. The first season is based on the first book. I'm reading through that. The book mostly focuses on Sookie and Bill and not so much on the other characters though.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
Tried to watch. Can't stand the show. Personally, I don't get society's obsession with vampires, i.e. Twilight & True Blood.

I'll stick with Dexter, Entourage & Weeds.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
8pm Central, my wife and I are glued to HBO and True Blood. And yes, I agree, the second season is even better than the first.
And Entourage is a winner too.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
friggin love it! bought season 1 from iTunes and have been streaming season 2 online - best show since the sopranos. last night's episode was the best till date.

so many rich plot lines going on - makes my head spin :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i haven't seen last nights episode yet. but looking forward to it.

its a good series and although its a bit sappy and poorly written here and there (the scripting not the plot) its an enjoyable watch.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Funny how much of the plot conflict in both Entourage and True Blood revolve around boyfriends not revealing seemingly innocuous information to their girlfriends and how it ends up blowing up in their faces...

Anyway, True Blood is getting pretty strong aside from the aforementioned plot cliché that seems to occur with regularity between Bill and Sookie. Then again, I guess he's just an old-fashioned kind of guy who thinks he's protecting her.

Entourage is still great fun to watch, but I feel like they've been treading water the past couple of seasons.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I really like the feel of this show. The casting is excellent as well, reminds me of Twin Peaks which I loved.

I have just finished watching TB all the way through, and all I could think the whole time was "damn this reminds me so much of Twin Peaks". It has the same creepy atmosphere, and all the characters have some mystery surrounding them, but you can't quite put your finger on it. It just has the same feel as TP - which is great, because TP was an amazing television show.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Really? I keep seeing the "Sookie runs her mouth, Bill saves her ass" plot time and again.

1. Sookie gets her ass kicked by the Rattrays due to her own stupidity, Bill saves her life (literally)

2. Sookie gets attacked by whats his name, the bartender at Fangtasia, Bill saves her (granted not her fault). Bill gets punished by being forced to make Jessica, Sookie gets angry at Bill. . .

3. Sookie is upset that Bill "isn't there for her" (despite the fact that he's being tried for killing one of his own to save her), she runs off to Sam and gets a little too cozy, just as Bill returns. Wow, that's a nice way to say thanks.

4. Sookie takes Jessica to her parents house despite Bill's warnings not to, things to go ****, Bill saves the day, Sookie gets angry and gets out of the car, gets attacked by MaryAnne (after screaming for Bill to save her), putting them further in Eric's debt.

5. Latest episode, Sookie runs her mouth to Lorena, despite Bill's pleadings for her to stop, Godric steps in to save her ass before Lorena kills her.

The list could be a lot longer.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show, but the continual narcissism and self centered world view of Sookie is driving me up the wall! Then again, it could be that way intentionally, some characters your just mean't to dislike! It'd be pretty damn boring if everyone was courteous and insightful :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Every single character in the series has something that makes me want to kill them. But I love the show, the latest episode was a ripper. Can't wait till next week.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
got caught up on the show last night and the latest episode was great! While were naming characters we dislike -I cannot stand Mary Anne:mad:

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
got caught up on the show last night and the latest episode was great! While were naming characters we dislike -I cannot stand Mary Anne:mad:

I love her. She is one of the most mysterious parts of a generally mysterious show. What exactly is she? Why does she do what she does - just for pleasure? How does she relate to Vampires? Etc.

Fun side note - she's the actress that played Ensign Ro in Star Trek TNG.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I love her. She is one of the most mysterious parts of a generally mysterious show. What exactly is she? Why does she do what she does - just for pleasure? How does she relate to Vampires? Etc.

Fun side note - she's the actress that played Ensign Ro in Star Trek TNG.

What she is has been explained, she's a Maenad - the handmaidens to the god Dionysus (Bacchus to the Romans) who was god of wine and the inspirer of ritual madness.

And she's also bloody annoying, like every character on the show but dammit I can't get enough.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
What she is has been explained, she's a Maenad - the handmaidens to the god Dionysus (Bacchus to the Romans) who was god of wine and the inspirer of ritual madness.

And she's also bloody annoying, like every character on the show but dammit I can't get enough.

When was this explained? I watched the most recent few eps with a group of people, so perhaps I missed it.

Edit: Oh I think I remember. The shapeshifter waitress (forgot her name) explained that to Sam on the dock, right?

Edit 2: Perhaps we should add "Spoilers" to the thread title now?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm embarrassed to admit I love the show. Season 2 is picking up as of late, but I am damn tired of MaryAnn and Eggs.

Godirc rocks though.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
When was this explained? I watched the most recent few eps with a group of people, so perhaps I missed it.

Edit: Oh I think I remember. The shapeshifter waitress (forgot her name) explained that to Sam on the dock, right?

Edit 2: Perhaps we should add "Spoilers" to the thread title now?

Daphne told Sam about it while swimming off the dock...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
whats leaving me puzzled at this point is MaryAnne's motives and ultimate plan.

Eric obviously has plans for Sookie, but thats easily understood, even if they are unknown, but MaryAnne's are so weird in that we've seen a lot of the same from her... and not much progression other than her pretty much just wrecking havoc.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA

Eric obviously has plans for Sookie, but thats easily understood, even if they are unknown, but MaryAnne's are so weird in that we've seen a lot of the same from her... and not much progression other than her pretty much just wrecking havoc.

I think that eventually MaryAnne will PO one of the vamps and then go toe to toe with them - some sort of battle. Right now she is just feeding on humans, won't be long until she gets a does of Eric and his crew.

At least I hope!

Maybe a good idea. I was shocked with what happened to Jason at the end the episode.

Jason is fine, what do you mean? Are you meaning when Luke walked into the Dallas nest with a Bomb strapped to his body and hit the detonator?!

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Yea, I'm trying to figure that out as well. Can't get a handle on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.