Truth in the August Reveal rumor?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Derkatwork, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I heard the rumor that Apple is releasing the touch early this year. The rumor says "sources within apple" (which in my mind means about a 3% chance) say the date for announcing is August 16. Any good intel on this? Or is it another thing that may happen but likely won't.

2. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

3. jahall macrumors newbie

I don't know if this helps with the speculation, but I was at Staples on Saturday and they had 0 iPod touches, and a nice worker-fellow checked and apparently they are getting a restock on the 15th...which coincides nicely with a Aug. 16 reveal.

IMO, this doesn't make sense because
    a) they don't release new models during the school promo period (I just picked one up, my old one had a frayed charging cord + extended warranty, and as I was getting a MBP regardless, I got all the money back for the old one and a free one after the
    rebate :))
    b) they usually don't restock right before a new release.
    ...unless they hold off on actually selling it until September.

So I don't know if that's any help to you, but there it is. (All the rumors and all this thinking has just gotten me more confused.)

4. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

thanks for the input man.

i have another question,when the device DOES get released,will it be a worldwide release on day one?i live in new zealand and i dont want to wait till long after the yanks get it.

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont know. I dont think so.

And if a august release date was true, there would have been some very strong rumors by now.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Because you called us 'yanks', the official NZ release date is now Jan 31, 2011. Good job, you ruined it for everyone. ;) I kid, I kid.

7. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

It wouldn't make sense to hold items for a month before selling them. How often do they restock? If they restock monthly, then these may be 3rd gen.

Another idea to ponder. In the above example, it is mentioned that there were no ipods. Were they being cleared for new ones?

Also, "yanks"? Really?

8. Josh0806 macrumors member

Not necessarily. The iPad had tones of speculation about it before it was released, however, no strong rumors ever really came out. The few times that proper leaks have occurred are with the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 3G (and the camera never happened). Besides, I'd say we've seen some strong rumors. We've seen the front plate (supposedly) leaked and a design of the back from a case manufacturer (admittedly, I'm skeptical about the truth in that story).

9. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Someone somewhere must know. There would have been invites to various reporters or something. Or would the supposed invitees be sworn to secrecy?

10. jahall macrumors newbie

The guy at the store did mention in passing that Apple calls back the iPods when new ones come out. I can't remember much else of what he said though.

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I hope it is true. (my birthday is the 17th :D)

But really it's much more likely to be late August or early September (it's been early September for the past 5 years, so that is certainly the most likely timeframe)

Everyone, hope for mid-August, though!! :)

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Typically, invites go out the week before a product announcement event, so if the mid-August reveal rumor is true, invites should be going out sometime this week.

13. Biker macrumors regular

Or today XD

14. Josh0806 macrumors member

I've just realized that GDC (Game developers conference) kicks off on August 18. This could see the reveal of the Nintendo 3DS so maybe apple will have they're event a few days before to take some fire away from the 3DS announcement (seen as the iPod touch is a gaming machine).
    Just a thought!

15. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Why would apple care about showing up Nintendo? They aren't exactly competitors since one is an mp3/video player and the other is a full fledged console (portable). The touch is not the gaming machine that Jobs makes it out to be (as that is a convenient excuse for a lack of serious upgrades last year. If you could play mario kart, mortal combat, final fantasy, etc then I would accept his statement that it is a gaming device. In a couple of years it might be.

16. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Pretty much every retailer here clears stock before the new iPods come out, though a lot here don't have open cases like before so I can't really see what they have in stock. I know that Target's case was devoid of a few models in July already, but since they have remodeled there is no longer a clear iPod case so you can see whats in stock. I know for a fact Sears clearances iPods since I have seen clearance ones there before. If new models are coming out in August or even Sept then it makes sense for stores to empty out their stock and not restock until the new ones come out.

Sams club is the only one that has a whole bunch of iPods in stock right now, though I suspect they just stock a lot of the current model for back to school. I am sure they pull their stock when they get a shipment of the new model in.

17. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Well we dont know anything about the 4G iPod Touch. Lately Apple have been promoting it as a great gaming device, so who knows, maybe Apple is trying to break into the gaming industry with the iPod touch 4G.

18. Josh0806 macrumors member

Exactly. Maybe the touch isn't a gaming device but that's where apple has been promoting it!

19. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Truthfully, the iPod touch can't really compete with the 3DS, with the technology behind the 3DS is far superior than the iPod touch has, in terms of gaming.

I mean, people will want to know and see how Nintendo pulled off a Glasses-free 3D screen with the Graphics they already have on the device.:p

20. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Of course it can't compete (yet anyways). It is currently not a strong gaming device. Will it evolve into a console type of device with its own titles given a couple years and some apple marketing? Its highly possible. Currently it is at the level of flash games, and in a decent number of cases a little above flash games.

The 3DS screen is perhaps the "glasses". I have no experience with it so thats a total guess. But thats off topic.

21. flytrumpet macrumors member

22. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

It's about time the touch gets some competition, the Zune HD doesn't even compare to the touch at all, no real apps, can't watch YouTube, and no iTunes. The Samsung player that's going to be announced will have android which has apps and a pretty good UI. August would be a good date to announce this new touch, but it just seems odd not announcing new other iPods with the event.

23. aalu91 macrumors member

didn't hear about this device till now...sounds very interesting. Has potential. Just needs better marketing.

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Agreed.

I dont think one Samsung device will make Apple jump the release date about a month.

25. Blackened macrumors regular

I think with the coming advancements to the touch, facetime, back facing camera with flash, retina display (allegedly), they've decided to give it it's own reveal date.

I think in the coming years we'll see separate refresh dates for, iPad, iPhone, touch, and then the rest of the iPod line lumped together.

What I think will happen this year is apple will make the reveal for the iPod Touch 4 in mid August, but we probably won't see them for sale until early September, around the time they reveal the rest of the iPod line.