TSA Implementing New Screening Procedures for All Electronics 'Larger Than a Cell Phone'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 26, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The United States Transportation Security Administration today announced stronger screening procedures for carry-on electronics, and will require all devices larger than a cell phone to be placed in bins for X-ray screening when going through standard screening lanes.

The TSA already requires laptops to be removed from carry-on bags and placed in a separate bin with nothing above or below, and it appears this will now expand to devices like iPads and portable gaming consoles.

[​IMG]

According to the TSA, extensive testing and successful pilot programs have been going on at 10 airports, which has led the administration to expand the measure to all U.S. airports "during the weeks and months ahead."
    The TSA has found ways to "improve screening measures" by using "quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags," but requiring more bins is bound to slow down screening procedures.

The new rules are already in place in the following airports: Boise (BOI), Colorado Springs (COS), Detroit Metropolitan (DTW), Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL), Logan International (BOS), Los Angeles International (LAX), Lubbock Preston Smith International (LBB), Luis Muñoz Marín International (SJU), McCarran International (LAS) and Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX).

There's one way to get around the rules -- a TSA Pre membership. Customers who are enrolled in TSA Pre and using TSA Pre lanes will not need to remove their laptops or other electronic devices.

Article Link: TSA Implementing New Screening Procedures for All Electronics 'Larger Than a Cell Phone'

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

This is how they do it in the UK. I always have to take my Kindle out of my bag going through security there.

3. CerebralX, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017

CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    Why is TSA still a thing? Weren't they proven to be useless at catching weapons etc.? like 95% of weapons were never detected during a study carried out some time ago. Why the hell are they adding extra screening procedures when there hasn't been any attacks carried out by terrorists **** knows how long.

4. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

How about the screwdrivers that I forgot to take out of my bag and got em through every single time? Can I still get those though? #SafetyFirst

5. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Thank goodness for this. I'm enrolled in TSA Precheck. It is wonderful to not have to take your laptop, iPad out of the bag or your shoes off when going through security.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What's the logic in having to remove a kindle but not a phablet? A kindle has far fewer electronics than any cellphone.

7. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Illusion of safety. Illusion of freedom. Take your pick, government doesn't care about safety and really doesn't protect against anything.

8. NoNothing macrumors 6502

I just witnessed this and it was much faster how they had the line. They had 4 "stations" on each X-RAY conveyor with bins showing up below you (on a belt). You had 4 people loading bins at the same time and then going through one of two personal scanners.

In all, the line moved really fast because of the 4 stations and bins under the conveyor belt.

9. critter13 macrumors 6502

So if i have a kindle, iPad, and laptop in my bag i will need 4 bins... Definitely time for TSA pre
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    or can you put multiple devices in a bin as long as they aren't stacked?

10. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

I have seen this as well. It works very good... at the airports that have the equipment. Others? Not so much.

If you travel frequently, getting TSA Pre-Check and using your passport for ID will get you thru much faster. The $85 every 5 years to have pre-check and a Known Traveler ID number is worth it.

11. winston1236, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017

winston1236 macrumors 68000

Because it's a government jobs program.

12. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

This whole pre check thing just seems like a "we had to find a way to make extra cash". What is to prevent you from becoming an extremist after the fact? Perhaps it's just my ignorance of the process, but it simply seems like a way to generate money without any real security effort.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Last two times I flew we all already threw everything into the bins, including our phones and Apple watches. Then we walked through the scan-u-nekkid machine with only our clothes on--no shoes or belts. No biggie.

The only problem I ever have with TSA is in the abstract when I read of them harassing people about their medical devices and prosthetics or women and girls about their sanitary pads. That's just horrific.

My actual experiences with TSA have been courteous and professional so far.

14. norbinhouston macrumors regular

I'd love it if those that hate on TSA, because they were jedi mind tricked into it most probably, to have a separate line and board with no safety checks. No infringing on their freedoms! I bet there wouldn't be to many takers. lol.

15. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

"There's one way to get around the rules -- a TSA Pre membership. Customers who are enrolled in TSA Pre and using TSA Pre lanes will not need to remove their laptops or other electronic devices."

Just because it's more fun to create a line for poor people and terrorists, and richer people that travel a lot.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Is this new? Been doing this for years when I've flown in Europe.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

This extra paranoia only bothers the innocent citizen. The terrorist will find a way to smuggle things through. In fact, in the USA he can just ask a regular American drug addict to buy him a weapon from the gun shop then he will pay him $3000 for it.

Damage is done, that easy.

18. djdj macrumors member

The program is called TSA Precheck, not TSA Pre.

19. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

TSA Pre. $85 for 5 years, and work paid for it. Money well spent.

20. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Seeing as how my girlfriend forgot her pocket knife in her purse and was able to board 3 out of our 4 flights without being pulled aside, I already do not trust the TSA to "protect" me. All these "safety measures" seemingly just make my experience flying more inconvenient.

21. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Keeping up appearances.

22. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Security Theater.

23. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

TSA Pre√ and Global Entry have paid for themselves in time savings so many times over.

24. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

We have reached a point where it's not longer fun to travel by air.

25. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Huh ive been doing this for as long as i can remember. I even have to put my phone in the seperate trey (Europe, Middle East, Central America)

I got TSA Pre on my first time travelling to the US in 2015 and i still dont know how or why i got it lol