Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The United States Transportation Security Administration today announced stronger screening procedures for carry-on electronics, and will require all devices larger than a cell phone to be placed in bins for X-ray screening when going through standard screening lanes.

The TSA already requires laptops to be removed from carry-on bags and placed in a separate bin with nothing above or below, and it appears this will now expand to devices like iPads and portable gaming consoles.

tsascreeningline.jpg

According to the TSA, extensive testing and successful pilot programs have been going on at 10 airports, which has led the administration to expand the measure to all U.S. airports "during the weeks and months ahead."
"Whether you're flying to, from, or within the United States, TSA is committed to raising the baseline for aviation security by strengthening the overall security of our commercial aviation network to keep flying as a safe option for everyone," said TSA Acting Administrator Huban A. Gowadia.

"It is critical for TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe. By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats," said Gowadia.
The TSA has found ways to "improve screening measures" by using "quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags," but requiring more bins is bound to slow down screening procedures.

The new rules are already in place in the following airports: Boise (BOI), Colorado Springs (COS), Detroit Metropolitan (DTW), Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL), Logan International (BOS), Los Angeles International (LAX), Lubbock Preston Smith International (LBB), Luis Muñoz Marín International (SJU), McCarran International (LAS) and Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX).

There's one way to get around the rules -- a TSA Pre membership. Customers who are enrolled in TSA Pre and using TSA Pre lanes will not need to remove their laptops or other electronic devices.

Article Link: TSA Implementing New Screening Procedures for All Electronics 'Larger Than a Cell Phone'

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
Why is TSA still a thing? Weren't they proven to be useless at catching weapons etc.? like 95% of weapons were never detected during a study carried out some time ago. Why the hell are they adding extra screening procedures when there hasn't been any attacks carried out by terrorists **** knows how long.

Last edited by a moderator:

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Thank goodness for this. I'm enrolled in TSA Precheck. It is wonderful to not have to take your laptop, iPad out of the bag or your shoes off when going through security.

There's one way to get around the rules - a TSA Pre membership. Customers who are enrolled in TSA Pre and using TSA Pre lanes will not need to remove their laptops or other electronic devices.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
I just witnessed this and it was much faster how they had the line. They had 4 "stations" on each X-RAY conveyor with bins showing up below you (on a belt). You had 4 people loading bins at the same time and then going through one of two personal scanners.

In all, the line moved really fast because of the 4 stations and bins under the conveyor belt.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
So if i have a kindle, iPad, and laptop in my bag i will need 4 bins... Definitely time for TSA pre
[doublepost=1501087287][/doublepost]
So if i have a kindle, iPad, and laptop in my bag i will need 4 bins... Definitely time for TSA pre

or can you put multiple devices in a bin as long as they aren't stacked?

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I just witnessed this and it was much faster how they had the line. They had 4 "stations" on each X-RAY conveyor with bins showing up below you (on a belt). You had 4 people loading bins at the same time and then going through one of two personal scanners.

In all, the line moved really fast because of the 4 stations and bins under the conveyor belt.

I have seen this as well. It works very good... at the airports that have the equipment. Others? Not so much.

If you travel frequently, getting TSA Pre-Check and using your passport for ID will get you thru much faster. The $85 every 5 years to have pre-check and a Known Traveler ID number is worth it.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Why is TSA still a thing? Weren't they proven to be useless at catching weapons etc.? like 95% of weapons were never detected during a study carried out some time ago. Why the hell are they adding extra screening procedures when there hasn't been any attacks carried out by terrorists **** knows how long.

Because it's a government jobs program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
This whole pre check thing just seems like a "we had to find a way to make extra cash". What is to prevent you from becoming an extremist after the fact? Perhaps it's just my ignorance of the process, but it simply seems like a way to generate money without any real security effort.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Last two times I flew we all already threw everything into the bins, including our phones and Apple watches. Then we walked through the scan-u-nekkid machine with only our clothes on--no shoes or belts. No biggie.

The only problem I ever have with TSA is in the abstract when I read of them harassing people about their medical devices and prosthetics or women and girls about their sanitary pads. That's just horrific.

My actual experiences with TSA have been courteous and professional so far.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Because it's a government jobs program.

I'd love it if those that hate on TSA, because they were jedi mind tricked into it most probably, to have a separate line and board with no safety checks. No infringing on their freedoms! I bet there wouldn't be to many takers. lol.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
"There's one way to get around the rules -- a TSA Pre membership. Customers who are enrolled in TSA Pre and using TSA Pre lanes will not need to remove their laptops or other electronic devices."

Just because it's more fun to create a line for poor people and terrorists, and richer people that travel a lot.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This extra paranoia only bothers the innocent citizen. The terrorist will find a way to smuggle things through. In fact, in the USA he can just ask a regular American drug addict to buy him a weapon from the gun shop then he will pay him $3000 for it.

Damage is done, that easy.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Seeing as how my girlfriend forgot her pocket knife in her purse and was able to board 3 out of our 4 flights without being pulled aside, I already do not trust the TSA to "protect" me. All these "safety measures" seemingly just make my experience flying more inconvenient.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Why is TSA still a thing? Weren't they proven to be useless at catching weapons etc.? like 95% of weapons were never detected during a study carried out some time ago. Why the hell are they adding extra screening procedures when there hasn't been any attacks carried out by terrorists f**k knows how long.

Keeping up appearances.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Huh ive been doing this for as long as i can remember. I even have to put my phone in the seperate trey (Europe, Middle East, Central America)

I got TSA Pre on my first time travelling to the US in 2015 and i still dont know how or why i got it lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.