TSMC Begins Production of A11 Processor After Initial Manufacturing Issues Resolved

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has commenced production of Apple's A11 processor, according to a new report by DigiTimes. The chip is expected to power the company's redesigned OLED "iPhone 8", scheduled to launch in the fall.

TSMC is the sole supplier of A11 chips, which could also make their way into the upgraded "S" cycle models of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus and potentially upcoming iPad refreshes this year, too.

[​IMG]

TSMC originally aimed to start producing the chip in April with a view to completing 50 million units by July, but production was delayed because of issues in the 10-nanometer FinFET manufacturing process. However, those problems have now been solved, according to today's report.
    Apart from faster A11 processors, all three rumored iPhone models may include glass bodies and wireless charging (though rumors disagree on this point). It is unclear if the two LCD models will feature the same edge-to-edge display rumored for the higher-end device and what other features will be included.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested that production issues could result in a "severe" shortage of Apple's upcoming "tenth anniversary" OLED iPhone in the months following its rumored September launch, but other sources claim production is on schedule.

TSMC was also the sole maker of the A10 chip in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, which helped lead the chip maker to revenue growth towards the end of 2016.

Article Link: TSMC Begins Production of A11 Processor After Initial Manufacturing Issues Resolved

2. Sirious, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I secretly wished that A10 and iOS 10 made it onto the 10th anniversary iPhones - all 10's.

3. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Someone please stick one of these in a bezel-less, razor thin iPad. And, oh, keep the battery life the same.

Then you'll have my money.

4. Sunny1990, May 11, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

A10 Chip & iOS10 was interduced with iPhone 7 last year, Apple has already begin production of A11 chip for iPhone 8. Sorry Your wish will never come true

5. Avieshek, May 11, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Time to be excited.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    It's actually 12nm scale fabrication in reality. So, the dream lives with A12.

6. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Utter domination in chip performance. Yet, Apple is not innovating.

Schiller must be banging his head on a wall.

7. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Stock tip: now is a great time to invest in TSMC.

Share price currently $35.41 and I reckon it should be up to $50 within 18 months.

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

"What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"

"Put it up to eleven."

"Eleven. Exactly. One faster."

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

It's an absurd state of affairs isn't it? The very basis of differentiation for iOS devices going forward is going to be integration of iOS with Apple's developed-in-house chips (Tx,Wx,Ax, etc) but the tech "journalists" can't seem to get over the fact that Apple hasn't stuck a ****ing speaker in people's house within a few months Amazon/Google doing it.

What a world. :rolleyes:

10. Critycal macrumors regular

Based on what? Public information which is already processed in the stock price?

11. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Based on roadmap and being sole manufacturer for what should be Apple's biggest selling iPhone ever - promise :D

With these things you never know, and you have to try and buy at the best time in the year. I bought TSMC when it was around $19-20. It went up nicely, then went down a bit, but has steadily climbed ever since. It's just a very solid pick for me as long as Apple continue to use them in this capacity.

If it goes sub-$30 I'd jump back in. Just my opinion.

12. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

It's weird how much people relate appearances to innovation as well. Apple could make a huge leap in hardware and performance, but if it looked similar to the current iPhone it'd get criticised.

13. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

I think he, and all of us already know that.

14. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Don't forget about the code iPhone 10,1! The 3G ruined everything!

15. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Tell me about it.

Aside from this, I'd say the Airpods were the most innovative product of last year yet they went under the radar without so much as a blip.

Shame.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is one of the most concise—yet accurate—assessments I've seen around here. That being said, Siri really needs to get it's crap together. I expect that to happen in a few weeks.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Seeing as they've been working with a team in Cambridge for the last 3 years on Siri, I expect a massive overhaul at WWDC as well.

18. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Setting aside the criticisms and posturing for just a moment, Apple is all about an ecosystem. iPhone, AppleTV, and soon Apple Home (whatever). Incidentally watch, book, pad, car.

Once Apple TV upgrades and Apple Home (whatever) is introduced, I wonder if this is the first volley into IoT on Apple's part?

How much debris (locks, lights, thermostats, etc) can it speak with?

19. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Just a reminder, if Apple keeps raising the performance of their A-series chips like they have been for the past 3 generations, it means that the iPhone will have definitively faster CPUs than Intel Core M line.

20. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

1. Goal
    2. Achieved
    3. Surpassed

21. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Bummer. I was hoping the next Ipad 12.9 inch model would have the A11 chip. But if they're delayed in production, I'm betting they save all the chips for the next Iphone models. Hopefully I'm wrong.

22. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Or his ass. I prefer that imagery.

23. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

I think the next chip will be called the B1 and not A11. Just a wild guess.

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

And the next iMac will have that Intel j8 processor with EES5 RAM? :D

25. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but for me and I'm sure some others, the problem with new models looking similar is that I think the currrent model looks terrible. I disliked it on the first iteration with iPhone 6 and all subsequent iterations. So it's not so much a criticism of re-using the same model, it's a criticism of the model itself and the disappointment of being stuck with it is just salt in the wound.

The 5S/SE is still the prettiest iPhone Apple has made. I wouldn't mind being stuck on that model (and in fact use an SE). Even the 5C was better looking, though certainly with a less serious flair.