TSMC Rumored to Be Sole Supplier of A-Series iPhone Chips in 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, a report by The Korea Herald suggested that Samsung Electronics could be returning as a supplier for the so-called A12 chip in 2018's line of iPhones, after being removed from the A-series chip supply chain in 2016 and 2017, years in which Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company took on all of the orders. Now, industry observers reported upon by DigiTimes are predicting that TSMC is "still likely" to retain its title as the sole manufacturer of A-series chips in 2018.

In today's report, TSMC's integrated fan-out wafer-level packaging technology -- which the supplier uses in its 7-nanometer FinFET chip fabrication -- is looked at as largely superior to any progress made by Samsung in the same field. Samsung is said to be "aggressively vying" for A-series orders from Apple ahead of 2018, but DigiTimes' sources state that even the company's close ties to OLED might not be enough for Apple to add Samsung as a secondary A-series supplier for the reported three iPhones launching in fall 2018.

[​IMG]

In Tuesday's report, it was rumored that Samsung Electronics co-CEO Kwon Oh-hyun already made a deal with Apple concerning 2018 iPhone chip production during a visit to Cupertino last month. Otherwise, The Korea Herald's report was light on details, with no clear indication on exactly how many orders Samsung might have gained from such a deal besides believing the company would "share some parts" of A-series chip production with TSMC.

If Apple kept TSMC as the sole A-series manufacturer in 2018, it would mark the third year in a row that the supplier created iPhone chips alone, following the A10 in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and the A11 in the upcoming "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus." Otherwise, a return to dual-sourced A-series chips in 2018 would be the first time Apple made that move since 2015, when both Samsung and TSMC supplied the A9 chip in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, which frustrated some users when TSMC's technology was discovered to boast marginally better battery life.

Article Link: TSMC Rumored to Be Sole Supplier of A-Series iPhone Chips in 2018

2. Sunny1990, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

3. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Seems like "analysts" and online "journalists" will report any irrelevant and unconfirmed ******** in iPhone-season just to make a quick buck.

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Some company/companies is/are going to to make Apples A series chips. As an analyst, I will be 100% correct.;)

/freelance elves make A series chips:eek:

Did not see that coming.:D

5. bandalay macrumors regular

bandalay

6. Thunderhawks Suspended

When I see the tsmc logo I see a lot of holes.

So, maybe the rumors stand for A- .........
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2017 ---
    You beat me to it:)

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am not sure how it would work, but I think it would be interesting and helpful if MR would start keeping track of the people and groups that make claims like this, and grade them on their accuracy after products get released.

With all the conflicting rumors in the past year, it would be nice to see who was right.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Maybe they don't make enough money with iPhone SoC to pay an agency for the new design.
    But seriously, we just had the report about Samsung being a supplier in 2018...

9. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Now you just need another report saying that Samsung will be the sole supplier for the A-Series iPhone chips and you have a rumor to the liking of everyone!

10. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Wasn't it Samsung only a few days ago? I check these rumors out of habit daily and even I can't keep up.

11. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

So much for the "it's a Samsung phone" Macrumors guy.

12. Rocketman, Jul 20, 2017

Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

If Apple simply leases more production equipment for TSMC to increase surge capacity of the superior 7nm technology with layering or stacking, that would substantially reduce the annual bottleneck. If Apple were to further settle on 7nm as "good enough" for the foreseeable 3-4 year future and focus on the chip design and features within that technology envelope, we could easily see a 2x to 3x improvement in performance from taller stacks, better software and hardware integration and further integration of purchased technologies and personnel. Far lower costs over time as equipment is amortised and production lines are not as heavily modified. Not lower prices. Higher margins.

The "next thing" is 5G LTE anyway. A radio chip not a CPU. If they can get Qualcomm to simply honor FRAND they already agreed to.

13. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

I like it in a retro kind of way.

14. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I've said before ..... every day another "expert" covers another "base" with another statement about product A, until all "bases" are covered. Then, unsurprisingly, when product A is launched, "expert" is hailed an in-the-know and considered an authority on such things because one of the "bases" they covered was correct.

I think Football Team A will win, or lose, or draw, and I believe Football Team B will also win, lose or draw. Team A win against Team B .... look at me I'm nostrodamus.

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yup, straight out of 1985.

16. Relentless Power, Jul 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because rumors conflict with each other and there is no validation unless they are proven accurate. That's what makes them rumors, Macurmors reports them regardless.

Also, why wouldn't your iPhone be working fine depending on which chip your iPhone has?

17. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I remember when people were complaining about not getting a Samsung chip, but then it was revealed that the TSMC chip was better. lol

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Seriously if there's a rumor for only Samsung and another one for only TSMC, at that point they're just guesses.

19. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

At least if they are all coming from one source we won't have the issue of one phone running a bit faster than another like in past phones .

20. lexvo macrumors 65816

I agree, be it my iPhone, iPad or iMac: as long as it's running good it's OK with me. I kinda lost interest in what CPU's are in my devices.

21. citysnaps macrumors 601

Why do people care? It makes little to no difference from the consumer's perspective. Though it's hugely important from Apple's.

22. tipoo macrumors 6502

1) Thing will happen
    2) Thing won't happen

See, analysts are always right!

23. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

True - - and since Apple went with TSMC over Samsung - - they picked the faster one.

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Apple could very easy just work with someone like Texas Instruments to make these stateside. this is was American are losing so many high tech jobs.

25. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

TSMC is the good chip, Samsung is the bad chip. Chipgate is real, everyone better believe it