TSMC Sources Claim 'iPhone 8' Will Have Touch ID Integrated into Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 26, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has successfully finalized a solution to integrate Touch ID fingerprint recognition directly into the display of its upcoming "iPhone 8", according to a new report on Friday.

Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) said it spoke to sources from Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), who apparently confirmed Apple's achievement during a technology convention held in Taipei on Thursday.

Among several design changes TSMC reportedly discussed at the TSMC 2017 NA Technology Symposium was the lack of a home button on the redesigned OLED iPhone, owing to Apple's use of "an optical fingerprint sensor to enable authentication directly on the screen" in the absence of a physical Home button.

[​IMG]

In addition to the fingerprint recognition, the sources claimed the new iPhones will also come with "invisible infrared image sensors to enhance the functionality of the high-pixel camera" and to enable augmented reality functions.

If true, news of Apple's on-screen fingerprint recognition solution will come as a relief to watchers tracking the development of Apple's "tenth anniversary" edition iPhone. Reports that the company has been researching ways to integrate fingerprint sensors directly into screens go as far back as June 2015, but more recent sources have claimed Apple has struggled to find a solution that overcomes the production challenges involved.

Specifically, Apple was said to be facing low yield issues of its in-house fingerprint sensor solution, which may have been forcing it to consider three possible alternatives: remove Touch ID from the 5.8-inch iPhone entirely and rely on other forms of biometric authentication instead, place the sensor on the back of the device (similar to the one on the Samsung Galaxy S8), or delay production of the phone.

The security of existing face and iris recognition technology has already come into question, while the idea of a rear-mounted Touch ID fingerprint sensor has received a largely negative response from current iPhone users. Suggestions that Apple could announce the OLED iPhone in September alongside typical "S" cycle iPhones but delay its availability have also been met with skepticism.

Additionally, today's news also lines up with previous rumors claiming Apple has been aiming to finalize its fingerprint sensor specification in May all along, in time for mass production in late July, which would fall in line with the company's usual annual iPhone production timeframe.

The other design changes mentioned by sources at TSMC suggest additional biometric authentication such as iris/facial recognition could be used to augment Touch ID via a high pixel-density front-facing camera, which is expected to feature next-generation 3D-sensing capabilities powered by PrimeSense technology. The report also claims the screen ratio of the displays on the new iPhones will be adjusted to 18.5:9 instead of the previous 16:9.

The "iPhone 8" is thought to have a redesigned steel and glass chassis, an edge-to-edge OLED display, and could carry a "premium" price, compared to previous models. Apple is expected to debut the new iPhone in the fall alongside updated versions of its current 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch device lineup.

(Via DigiTimes.)

Article Link: TSMC Sources Claim 'iPhone 8' Will Have Touch ID Integrated into Display

2. Sunny1990, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Great!! I am more than happy.Touch id on the back was a silly idea

3. BulkSlash macrumors member

BulkSlash

4. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Thank feck for that (until tomorrow when some other "highly-regarded in-the-know", debunks this and reports TouchID will be on the back)

5. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

6. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I think the fallback plans couldn't really be considered due to the negative response and the fast it made it feel incomplete, not to mention is it would take away a feature that is both unique and 'magical'.
    I'm so glad that we are going to end up seeing this.

7. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Sounds like an Apple Galaxy iPhone S8.

That's fine with me. Shaping up to be a great phone.

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

the iPhone 8 "is is"

this is going to be a cool upgrade if all that actually makes it into the phone. Not sure exactly what I want other than a bigger screen on the smaller 7 size phone and something other than a "huge performance upgrade" like the say every year even though no games use the power available. Infinity Blade I think was the last game to really push the phone at that time.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

Now, this is much better! I don't think any of us want Touch ID on the back of the phone.

10. Nozuka macrumors 68020

optical? how is that supposed to work behind a display?

ultrasonic sensors made more sense to me.

11. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I so hope this feature makes it into the end product instead of a backside sensor. If they also manage to shave off the moronic camera bump, it will be a winner.

Pet peeve: I dearly miss the headphone jack. I know, I know, Apple won't go analog again because courage and mercantilism and whatnot, but considering how improved the cirrus logic DAC is on the 2016 MBP, it makes me miss it on the phone even more.

12. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Would not expect anything less from Apple. Looking good.

14. Geert76, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

May 2017: rumours of TouchID into the display. Loyal Apple fan: "Good, cause I never will get an iPhone with the TouchID on the back!"

September/October 2017: Keynote Tim & Co. new OLED iPhone 8; we got something amazing for you, TouchID on the back of our new OLED iPhone 8, Jony adds to it: ''Best innovation we ever created followed by a video with the famous voice of Jony...

This same loyal Apple fan as in earlier May 2017: "when do the pre orders start Tim, got my creditcard ready! come on Apple!"

15. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Now remove that glass back and change that stupid camera and we have a perfect iPhone

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Haha how is this rumor any more or less credible than the others (other than this is the one we all prefer so we want to believe it to be true)?

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't believe Apple would put the sensor on the back. It's too much of a compromise that greatly detracts from ease of use. So with that...

Yes, of course Apple has no problem with TSMC disclosing yet announced Apple technology. Yes, TSMC would risk its relationship with Apple by doing so for a quote in the renowned EDN. Yes, Apple is having low yield issues that risks the sun's axis shifting. Yes, that story is retreaded more often than Black Friday mobs trampling on an 80 year old grandmother to get to a $10 TV. Oh, and then the Digitimes kiss of death.

Other than that this story is as true as the tale of Yurtle the Turtle.

18. wizard macrumors 68040

I'm not sure why Touch ID on the back is such a negative for people. If it leads to a edge to edge screen I don't see people rejecting such a placement.

19. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

20. Jacquesvw macrumors regular

WHATTT!!!, no Touch ID on the back? Timmy will never allow this, waayyy too functional.

21. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

iPhone with a galaxy s8 type display? Yes please.

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Um Touch ID is on the front of the phone now...

23. wizard macrumors 68040

There is nothing moronic about the camera bump. For a given sensor and optical technology you need a certain amount of physical hight to deliver optimal photographic results.. I much prefer a high performance camera over a needlessly thing phone.
    You never know, Apple could find consumer pressure too hard to resist. I kinda mis the jack myself but I suspect Apples real motivation here is to seal up the phone as much as possible to avoid water damage.

24. DanielDD macrumors 6502

That's design over function. We need to click the Home Button to unlock our phones, so the best place to put TouchID is in the Home button itself.
    On the other hand, having it on the back makes it impossible to unlock a phone resting on a table.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's awkward to use. On the front you can hold the phone with one hand and use any finger from the other. Or you can one hand it and use your thumb. Or if it's sitting on a table you can use any finger from either hand. (Obviously, yes, you have to teach the finger to the phone, but most people teach multiple fingers from both hands. I know I do).

With the sensor on the back you can't activate with your fingers if it's sitting on a table -- eyes, yes, but not finger. That is a security compromise to ApplePay and any app that uses TouchID for verification. You can't naturally hold it with one hand and activate with another. It would be like Hands Yoga. And holding with one hand is also awkward because of the way you have to hold your hand to reach the sensor. It increases the likelihood of dropping it because of the looser grip.
    Then there are all the issues with cases, esp. ruggedized ones that makes getting to the sensor even more challenging.