TSMC's A9 Chip Outperforming Samsung's in Early iPhone 6s Battery Benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus last month, it was discovered that Apple is dual sourcing the A9 chip for the new devices from both TSMC and Samsung, with the chips from the two companies measuring at slightly different sizes due to different processes used in manufacturing the chips. As users began to determine which chips were used in their devices, data began to point toward a 60/40 split in favor of TSMC, although the ratio has shifted toward 50/50 as more data has been obtained.

Benchmarks have suggested there is little if any difference in chip performance between the two A9 variants, but some recent battery testing (via Engadget) is hinting at the possibility of significantly better battery life for models with the TSMC-manufactured A9 chip.

We should caution that data points remain few at this time and controlling for variables to accurately focus the comparison only on the differences in the A9 is difficult, but these limited tests are generating significant amounts of interest in our discussion forums and elsewhere.

Perhaps the most dramatic result comes from a reddit poster who compared Samsung and TSMC versions of the iPhone 6s Plus using the battery life test included in Geekbench 3, finding the TSMC version lasting nearly two hours longer than the model with Samsung A9 chip.

[​IMG]
    Geekbench battery tests on TSMC (left) and Samsung (right) iPhone 6s Plus variants
    We asked John Poole of Primate Labs, the developers of Geekbench, for any insight into the dramatic differences being observed in some cases, and he noted there have been rumors of TSMC's 16-nanometer process being "superior" to Samsung's 14-nanometer process in power consumption. He was, however, surprised by the amount of difference in observed battery life considering the various components have essentially identical performance benchmarks. Ideally, further controlled testing can be performed to offer a more accurate comparison between the variants.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: TSMC's A9 Chip Outperforming Samsung's in Early iPhone 6s Battery Benchmarks

2. iLoveiTunes macrumors regular

3. kcirtap00 macrumors regular

4. tob! macrumors regular

5. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

That's quite a big difference. Glad I've got the TSMC chip ;)

6. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Here we go...

I am sure people will start returning cause they got samsung chip with their 6s.

7. MysteriousStain macrumors member

MysteriousStain

At the foot of a mountain and beside a river
    So much for all the whining about wanting the Samsung.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The phones with the Samsung sourced A9 also bend easier.

9. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Remember a week ago when everyone was saying they were going to return their TSMC devices for Samsung devices?

10. tob! macrumors regular

Seriously, maybe his 6s with the Samsung chip just has a bad battery. 2hrs difference seems way to obvious. I really don't think Apple is that stupid.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I can confirm that my 6S battery is way worse than my 6 of past. I do have the Samsung chip, and I really could care less. however I can kill my battery with little use in less than a day.

13. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

and two weeks ago EVERYONE in the thread was hoping they'd have the Samsung one assuming it was superior cos Samsung and smaller (and based on no knowledge about anything what so ever, so blind faith)

I have no idea which chip I have, or really care - but my 6s battery is definitely much worse than my 6, which is odd as I thought iOS9 would improve things and i never even bothered to install iOS9 on the 6....

14. Crossmax macrumors member

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

16. Attirex macrumors 6502

17. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

This is awesome. I thought mine was performing better on the battery than my 6plus. I have the 6splus with TSMC chip.

I would be pissed if I got a samsung....

18. Ashwee macrumors member

Ashwee

19. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

I have the Samsung in my 6s Plus and battery life has been phenomenal. Can anyone else confirm the battery difference or just this one guy?

20. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I just hope this is not a case of one chip is better than the other. If so the ones with the worse one will feel ripped off. Also you can't ask Apple for a specific chip in your iPhone. You get what your given. Makes the situation all the more worse for the consumer who really has no idea of what they are getting before they buy.

21. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

People without a background in statistics should not use the term significant so causally. With an N of 1 you can't claim a statistically significant difference. There may be real differences, but anecdotal crap like this just fuels clicks and wild irresponsible posting.

22. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

Wait - I thought it took less current to switch smaller transistors at the same speed? Samsung chip should have better battery life...? Unless the Samsung chips are syphoning off electrons and sending them to those funky edge phones.

23. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

*grabs the popcorn, sits back in his recliner with his iPhone 6*

This is going to be good. This industry provides hours of free entertainment. :)

24. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68020

OldSchoolMacGuy

Benchmarking a single phone doesn't tell you much. Click-bait content as usual.