Turn off 3G for good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhaque, Sep 29, 2008.

1. nhaque macrumors member

So I got my Iphone.. yay! But I don't have a data plan, it's too expensive :D for me, so here's my question for you: Is there any way that I can turn off the 3G function for good so I don't have any crazy bill later on:p. I know it can be turned off on the iphone, but is that 100% secure, or is there a better way? plz help

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm not sure that you'll be able to maintain a 3G iPhone without a data plan. Even if you turn the 3G off manually on your iPhone, technically you still have a 3G data plan. Your first bill should include the $30 data plan fee, sorry...:(

3. dranakin macrumors 6502

Last I checked, you can remove the 3G data plan. Search around - there are quite a few threads about this.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ True, but the last I checked 3G iPhone owners were receiving text messages to contact their AT&T representative regarding the use of a 3G iPhone and requiring the establishing of a data plan or they would be charged $.01 per kb. :eek:

5. dranakin macrumors 6502

Well, even if AT&T imposed this charge/KB upon the user, it wouldn't matter as he/she no longer has a data plan to use...

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

When I signed up with AT&T they screwed something up and a few days later I received a text indicating that if I didn't pick a data plan, I would be assigned one. I called and a CSR straightened it out, but since then I've been wondering about these posts that seem to imply you can get an iPhone from AT&T without data. Not that could go 20 minutes without it, but can you really get away with not having a data plan at all for more than one billing period?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only way I've read to permanently stop the iPhone from using the phone's data network is to jailbreak it and run a tool.

8. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Depends where you're located. In Canada, it is totally possible to use an iPhone without a data plan, and to get Rogers or Fido to block data on your account to prevent accidental charges. You just have to call and ask.

9. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

You might turn off 3g, but your still using edge, And you can't turn that off. But seriously why buy an iphone if your not even going to use the Internet, no point of spending 200 on a phone that you can't even use the data on.

10. LuckyLyons macrumors newbie

Why the heeeeeeeeeell would you buy an iPhone and remove the data plan!? That's like buying a car without an engine. It'll just sit there at your house and look pretty, maybe you sit inside it and listen to the radio every once and a while... :p

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I agree. The whole idea of the iPhone is to have internet....

12. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Seriously, what's the point. If you can't afford the phone bill, probably shouldn't have bought the phone.

13. iphonecode macrumors member

That is not true, phone bill is very expensive for 3g... :rolleyes:

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I agree with the last couple of posts here, if you cannot afford the 3G, why did you buy it ?

You should buy a much simpler phone without a data plan and just buy an iPod Touch

I would recommend a samsung t519 ( extremely thin)

[​IMG]

Or any of the recent sony erricson camera phones ( autofocus and flash are great)

[​IMG]

15. firewood macrumors 604

You can easily turn off 3G is General Settings.

But that won't turn off cellular data!

For that you have to contact your carrier and request that they block all data access from your plan.

Else you could run up a huge data bill on Edge by accident.

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

I'd imagine the problem is people bought the phone out of pure peer pressure. Then they get the bill and crap themselves. Then they find out the only way out is to either pay an ETF and cancel the whole thing or pay full price for a lesser phone and turn off data. Now, if the data plan is causing pain, how are any of those other options any more palatable? If it's either turn off the data or get a bad credit rating because I got in over my head, "You shouldn't have gotten it in the first place" isn't an answer. How about a dozen people enter the same viable solution, for a change? I think the OP has already figured out it was a bad decision.

17. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

What's not true about his statement? When you buy the iPhone, you sign a contract requiring a certain minimum monthly expenditure. If you can't afford that or you think it's too expensive, then don't sign up in the first place.

Jeez, no wonder our economy is so jacked...People bite off more than they can chew and then cry when they actually realize it.

18. unixfool macrumors 6502a

You just listed the only viable solutions. It's sad, but thems the breaks. Paying an early termination fee beats paying monthly fees that may quadruple the ETF.

19. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I could've sworn credit checks were initiated when purchasing phones...

20. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Christ am I tired of hearing people on their high horses proclaiming that anyone who doesn't want a data plan, regardless of whether they can afford it or not, is unworthy of an iPhone. God forbid people should want to save $30 a month while still having a good cellphone, iPod, and wifi device.

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

They probably are, at least for new customers. Doesn't mean people can actually afford the plans, though. Also, some people can afford the plan, but don't WANT to pay that much for the service. That's completely reasonable, but they shouldn't sign up in the first place, then.

Along those lines, my mortgage company approved me for a mortgage that would've cost me nearly every penny of my monthly pay. I guess they didn't think I need to eat or pay for other things, too.

22. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

More power them them, if they can find such a device without breaking their agreement. The high horse I'm sitting on is about committing to something and then trying to break the commitment.

23. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I should have clarified, I was referring to cases where it is legitimately possible to have an iPhone with no data plan, eg. in Canada. I can understand the haughtiness in the US, where the cost of a data plan is known and anticipated. But as a far as I can see, the OP hasn't stated where he's located yet.

24. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Actually, that's exactly what it SHOULD mean.

I totally disagree. When you man up and sign the dotted line, that means you understand and agree that you can make the payments. If you factor in that you have to eat BEFORE you sign and realize that you may not be able to eat, then you're being honest and not setting yourself up to failure. It's called RESPONSIBILITY. Most grown-ups should have it.

25. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

whats the point then of having an iphone over the ipod touch ?

We're not on high hoarses, it just doesn't make economic sense

I wouldn't buy a dvd player just to play cd's