Turning in a family member

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BreakGuy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Would you ever turn in a member of your family that you knew was guilty of a crime?

Would you only turn in someone for a serious or felonious crime, such as murder, rape, kidnapping, drug trafficking etc?

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Innocent until proven guilty.

If I knew they were guilty I would try and persuade them to turn themselves in.

If not, yes I would.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, what happens if I turned my back and did nothing and they then did something even worse. I couldn't forgive myself for allowing someone else to get hurt.

As painful as it may be in turning in a family member, it prevents others from getting hurt and perhaps allows the guilty party to seek help and change the course of his/her life.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

5. eawmp1, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Turn them in, yes.
    Be there to support them in their trial and punishment, yes.
    Accept them back into my life if they were repentant, yes.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That ^^^ says it for me.

OP asked about serious crime that harms others. As maflynn says, IMO we have a responsibility to protect others if we are aware of a potential foe harm in advance.

A truly horrifying choice to have to make, but I think the correct action is clear.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If only someone had turned in Josh Powell... those two young children would still be alive.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Point taken.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It depends on the crime. Horrible acts against another human being or animal? Yeah, I'm not going to ignore that. Everything else, probably leaving it alone.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Everyone out there is guilty of something, even if it's relatively minor like speeding by a tiny amount on the motorways, dropping an apple core in flowers the park (this is littering even if it is biodegradable) etc. So it'd have to be something major.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I believe OP (above) was referring to a serious crime of violence - not dropping an apple core in the flowers in the park. Certainly dropping a dime on a family member, or anyone for that matter, for speeding a tiny amount would be excessively strict behavior. But that was not the behavior to which the OP referred.:)

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

One thing to think about is if your family member was capable of committing such a serious crime, he/she would also be quite prepared to murder YOU

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Depending on the crime or whether it effected me or not (or could in the future), I would be prepared to turn a blind eye.

14. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

^^This x2

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. As difficult as it may be, I would also turn them in.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If there was no question that the family member committed one of the crimes above then yes -- absolutely.

However, I think such clarity is rarely the case. If there is any doubt, I think family in general will give the other member the benefit of the doubt and go to great pains to defend and/or cover up a crime.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Some people are too scared of a family member to turn them in for anything. Like my friend... Her Dad hits her, but she won't turn him in :( Won't let me or anyone else turn him in either.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

19. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

No way. I might attempt to deal with the situation myself though.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How might you do that? Telling them that it's not nice to rape and murder? How might you go about being sure that they didn't engage in the behavior in the future?

And what about the victims of your hypothetical family member's crimes. And their loved ones.

No consequences for the perpetrator other than you "dealing" with the situation?

I am not suggesting that turning in a family member would be anything less than devastating to both you and the individual. But the crimes that OP uses as examples are not crimes that lend themselves to a family member "dealing" with the perpetrator.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I knew of a similar case... have you tried finding a contact person she could confide in and help her with it (i am talking of an adult) could be a school consellor.... or something who you know is trustable. :)

For murder,rape,kidnapping definitely, drug trafficking depends on the circumstances etc.

22. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

What about a ponzi scheme?

23. blesio macrumors regular

Maybe the OP could tell us what kind of crime it was, it's do much easier to judge when you know.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It depends on the family member.... sorry just being honest

A cousin, uncle, aunt, etc... I would probably turn in...

Immediate members like Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister probably not.

25. nutmac macrumors 68040

My 1 year old son once stole a toy from the toy store. I have not turned him in.