Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Truley surprised Apple actually did this and backtracked on their smooth user interface priority. This is fantastic! I’m wondering if they just couldn’t get SDR to HDR conversion to look right which doesn’t surprise me.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Even works for Netflix, started a film up and it switched to 1080P 24.

You have to set it to match HDR and Frame rate and verify the resolutions supported first in the video settings.
Is your tv 4k ?
I don’t understand this , if you turn this setting on and you watch a 1080p movie in Netflix , the tv will change resolution from 4k to 1080p
But why would you want that ?

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Is your tv 4k ?
I don’t understand this , if you turn this setting on and you watch a 1080p movie in Netflix , the tv will change resolution from 4k to 1080p

Because most 4k tv’s have really good upscalers and will do a better job than the Apple TV.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is your tv 4k ?

Because I want to watch the movie as close as possible to how the director intended it. It it was released in 1080p, and 1080p is the highest quality available, then I want to watch it in 1080p.

It's like, if you had a 128kbps MP3, what would be the point of converting it to a 320kbps MP3 before listening to it? You're adding nothing, and potentially making it worse.

Reactions: dman67

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Because I want to watch the movie as close as possible to how the director intended it. It it was released in 1080p, and 1080p is the highest quality available, then I want to watch it in 1080p.

It's like, if you had a 128kbps MP3, what would be the point of converting it to a 320kbps MP3 before listening to it? You're adding nothing, and potentially making it worse.

But your tv will be displaying the image at the resolution of the screen. If your tv is a 4k panel it will be converting the image to 4k

Reactions: Jayderek

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

No way! The director did not intend for it to stay in 1080p. If it was shot on film then he won't even of considered TV AND nowadays all sport film documentaries are shot on 8K Phantom or 8K RED cameras. Heck, even Hollywood is shooting on RED!!!
I really don't believe 'how the artist intended BS - for over 40 years the UK and Europe have had their films from Hollywood speeded up 4%. Now you try on a 1210 or CDJ speeded up a track to 4% - it's a totally different direction!!!
Plus my DVDs from 10 years ago are truly oversaturated when compared to iTunes HD so the director has lost something on the way here!

Reactions: Agent2015

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
One step at a time bro. This is BIG news!

Totally, yea. This is a huge improvement.
[doublepost=1509410326][/doublepost]
But your tv will be displaying the image at the resolution of the screen. If your tv is a 4k panel it will be converting the image to 4k
No, it won't be converting it if I turn off the automatic upscaling feature. If the input signal is 1080p, it is displaying 1080p. It just happens to be using 4 physical pixels for each data pixel, in that scenario.

No way! The director did not intend for it to stay in 1080p. If it was shot on film then he won't even of considered TV AND nowadays all sport film documentaries are shot on 8K Phantom or 8K RED cameras. Heck, even Hollywood is shooting on RED!!!
I really don't believe 'how the artist intended BS - for over 40 years the UK and Europe have had their films from Hollywood speeded up 4%. Now you try on a 1210 or CDJ speeded up a track to 4% - it's a totally different direction!!!
Plus my DVDs from 10 years ago are truly oversaturated when compared to iTunes HD so the director has lost something on the way here!
Right, I used the wrong turn of phrase. I meant to say, I want to stay as close to source material as possible.

Any kind of conversion or processing never does anything good. At best, the output is as good as the input. At worst, the quality is noticeably degraded. Usually, somewhere in between. Processing can't add information that isn't there. In other words, the only way I will "upgrade" a movie or tv show is to obtain in a better source material.

If it is a DVD, I want to play it in DVD quality - no resolution up-converting, no motion interpolation, no fake HDR, none of that nonsense. Same applies to audio, I won't turn on fake surround sound effects or anything like that. If that movie later comes out in 1080p, awesome, I'll watch that source. If it becomes available in 4k, awesome again.

If the movie was shot in 8k, then I would love to get an 8k tv and an 8k source. But that isn't available yet. For now, if a movie is available only in 1080p, then that is how I will watch it.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I just wish that Apple had implemented auto frame rate detection way back with ATV2 and 3. How the heck could those engineers of sat through a iTunes film and not noticed the panning judder/stutter? It's so obvious especially when you've upgraded from the DVD and you know the film inside and out :) Especially for a company that prides inside on attention to detail!

It's clear that Apple are finally taking ATV seriously :)
Anyway, well done guys at Apple. Good job!

Last edited:
Reactions: oneMadRssn

Mamaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
No, it won't be converting it if I turn off the automatic upscaling feature. If the input signal is 1080p, it is displaying 1080p. It just happens to be using 4 physical pixels for each data pixel, in that scenario.

Can I ask you the brand and model of your TV set ?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
That's what upscaling is.

A 4k TV displaying a 1080p image that is not upconverted will not fit the screen. You just get a shrunk down image in the middle of the screen.

https://www.cnet.com/news/can-4k-tvs-make-1080p-look-better/

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewstirling

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Agreed. If you’re watching a 1080p source full screen on a 4k tv then something is upscaling it. Though in fairness, I would far rather my tv dealt with this than the Apple TV

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I have left mine on 4k 60hz out for everything (TV can handle it) and the results are good. I am not so worried over the Apple TV up converting. The switching however adds a new dimension (better) but wonder now if the Dolby and HDR10 method of delivery can be clarified and addressed. That would be the icing on the cake.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Apparently if your tv can handle both then the files are played in their native format. If not, Apple is applying some kind of conversion between hdr modes

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Do you have plex
Can you test if the frame rate thing works with your own plex movies
Plex is using the native video player of the Apple TV, so yes, its working fine with Plex.

Not working with infuse, because they use their own video player. But I bet Infuse will update its software very soon to implement that feature.

max_os17

Suspended
Oct 2, 2017
Does the auto switching work on a 1080p tv with 1080p 24p or sd 50p (old bbc programmes) videos from your own libary or is it just 4K ?

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Plex is using the native video player of the Apple TV, so yes, its working fine with Plex.

Not working with infuse, because they use their own video player. But I bet Infuse will update its software very soon to implement that feature.

Yeah they’ve said they’re looking at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.