tvOS 12: What do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jclo, May 17, 2018.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Fix the App Store category section. It currently does NOT list all available apps by category. And the strange part is the app icons appear in the landing page scroll but not when you open it. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

2. JeffPerrin, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018

JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

+1000!! And keep in mind these are just Apple's editorial picks (with many categories rarely updated).

Nothing more frustrating to a developer than working hard to push an app to tvOS only to find there's no easy way for people to discover your app! o_O

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think in general Apple has to really improve app their app stores. tvOS is a great example, but the problems extend much further.

My number one complaint is the lack of forgivability in search. If you don't spell an app name exactly right, it might not show up in the results.

Searching for keywords seems to mine the descriptions of the app, which is abused by some developers. It's like the search engines of 1990s searching only <meta> html tag of websites. Basically, finding the right app or the best app is nearly impossible without going online and researching the options on a computer.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

1. Safari, or some type of web browser

This should have been added at day 1.

2. Better support for multiple users

The TV App and universal search are basically useless if multiple people are using it. If my wife was the last person using Hulu, and I want to use the universal search to watch something in Hulu, it almost always loads it into the last person on Hulu. Multiple user support would also be nice for game center related stuff.

3. Games, better quality and maybe some good ports

This may not be something Apple can directly do with a new version of tvOS, but maybe they could do some behind the scenes type stuff to get some momentive going for game development.

It would be nice if Apple and Nintendo would get together to bring a virtual console app to the ATV.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Web browser on TV have been tried many times before and they have all failed.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Examples? Why did they fail?

At least for me, the web browser worked well on the Wii. I haven't tried any other web browser on the TV other than a Mac Mini.

7. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Home App - I'd like the return of continuous play of tv episodes when watching a series ( used to work prior to tvOS10 ), and for tv episodes to be marked as watched when they're in a playlist ( used to work prior to tvOS11 ).

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

Look at Ninteno Wii... ...to see why its a failure.

However, today we all have over scans pop-ups up on smart TV's, tweeting at the same time in split screen on overlay transparency type dialog boxes, while also watching our favorite footy match, and DVR type stuff.. in picture in picture type views.

Could be do-able as long as it is NOT full screen.. No interruptions. We have our phone for web browsing, but since more and more of this stuff is on smart TV type devices because users want it. it would also make sense for Apple TV to do it. as long as there is the option as well to turn it off in Settings.

The only thing really stopping a web browser is the remote.. But since we've switch to the Siri remote now anyway, that should close the gap more.

9. tomyun macrumors newbie

tomyun

iCloud Keychain and Touch/Face ID integration. It doesn't feel alright that I have to always look up my iPhone to type in weird password strings one letter by one whenever signing-in for the apps including app store.

10. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Wow!! I hope Apple see your post!

11. signull macrumors newbie

12. leonkoum macrumors newbie

leonkoum

13. davcole macrumors newbie

Now this would be the game breaker!!

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

That's why there is a search option.. Actually, luckily there is one because it wouldn't be discovered otherwise.

Perhaps this was why Apple implemented a search option in the first place, so they can host apps front and center to their own liking, and as long as users know the name of the app they can search for, everything will be ok.

I do like Apple's way :p It definitely goes together well with their slogan "Think different" ..It's about as different as you can get,

15. JeffPerrin, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

The problem is the search algorithm is very poor, and easily manipulated. For example, it took a long, long time of doing my own marketing before my iOS apps would even become visible in search results for directly related terms. Even though I have some of the only surround sound apps in the iOS app store! For a long time they were buried deep in the search results under apps that had very little, or even nothing to do with the search terms. (thanks to keyword stuffing and the like)

16. marvin_h macrumors newbie

marvin_h

Where did Apple promise this?

There was one unofficial comment from an Apple person who misspoke about how Siri works in the same quote, in the Verge, when the ATV4K was released and everyone keeps quoting that dubious comment as some kind of promise.

But no one at Apple will confirm it. Doesn’t feel like a promise. Feels like a wish. And I wish it were true, too.

17. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Like others have said. MULTIUSER SUPPORT. I don’t mind not having it on an iPhone or even an iPad but you really need it on ATV

18. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

I wish a proper ap4k t.v. App for ipad inc iCloud integration.

19. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Atmos.

DTS passthrough, including DTS-X.

Apple needs to get its audio support out of the dark ages if they really want to be high end.

20. davcole macrumors newbie

21. Hildy macrumors newbie

I’d like to see @TV extend mesh networks, they are typically positioned throughout the home and could dedicate bandwidth to their streaming activity as part of the network.

Further convergence would be nice, I think someone suggested adding a hard drive and making them the NAS server housing a family’s iTunes library. I wish you could replace Time Capsule backups and all of that old functionality with a meshed device. Rather than forcing customers to a monthly iCloud storage solution which for some is sub-optimal.

Perhaps Atmos and some of the sound enhancing or pass through solutions are being held back to promote an Apple solution using multiple Homepods... Homepods should add to a mesh network too by the way.

22. Andrewtst, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

- Dolby ATMOS
    - Safari web browser

I not stay at USA or UK, so I hope below is available.
    I do have iTunes USA and UK account but I prefer my country local account as it is easier for me to buy content in local account.
    - "TV" apps for all country
    - "Siri" for all country
    - "TV Shows" for all country
    - 4K titles is equally same in all country

23. seastar, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

seastar macrumors newbie

YCbCr4:4:4 support for 4k resolution
    10-bit color support that can be selected by user
    HDR10+ support
    YouTube 4k support

24. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

This would be unnecessary since there isn't any content in that format anyway.

25. seastar macrumors newbie

This is not related to content, it is related to color space format.