tvOS 12: What do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jclo, May 17, 2018.

1. priitv8 macrumors 68040

It is in the sense, that no consumer space content has been distributed in anything but 4:2:0.
    So the 4:4:4 setting could theoretically only benefit the tvOS GUI, but not the HD/UHD content you will be watching.

2. seastar macrumors newbie

iTunes library may not support 4:4:4, but Apple TV is not just for iTunes. There are YouTube, Netflix, CuriosityStream, games, apps. If Apple TV supports 4:4:4, image quality will be higher. I also have Minix Neo U9-H, and it supports YCbCr4:4:4 on resolution 4k 10bit HDR. Apple TV 4k supports YCbCr4:4:4 on HD resolution, but not on 4k HDR resolution, and it doesn't give any information about bit depth (8-bit or 10-bit). I like apple TV so much, but these things should be supported by Apple TV 4k.

3. Narcaz macrumors 6502

4. priitv8, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

priitv8 macrumors 68040

That is all nice, but please show me any evidence that anyone is producing UHD / HDR content beyond 4:2:0 10-bit. This is the current UHD bluray standard and definitely the de-facto standard for consumer delivery. Be it disc, satellite, cable or online streaming. Hence none of these will gain from increased color bandwidth provided by 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 sub-sampling. Because color signal has already been discarded during the compression.
    I would be happy to learn, that industry has moved forward from it.
    Apps and tvOS UI are a different story, here I do agree with you.

5. seastar macrumors newbie

Assume that you bought a latest technology TV that supports latest technologies. You want your Apple TV support the same technologies with your TV, such as 4:4:4 sub-sampling and HDR10+. I agree with you, subsampling may not be necessary so much, but it would be nice so much to see Apple TV supports it.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68040

I did. But this technology does not bring back the discarded color that went missing in the production studio.
    I know, I am so heavily stressing on the moving pictures usecase, because that's what I am using the device for.
    I do not care much about the apps on aTV frankly.
    I could master my home videos in 4:4:4 color, but that would not make sense either, as all consumer cameras only output 4:2:0 8-bit video to date. You'd need a professional Red, Arri or Sony camera with raw output to gain anything from wider color channel. At the end of the workflow it will end up in 4:2:0 today for most consumer formats.
    I am not even sure digital cinema distribution is any better than that.

The bottom line - I do not see the point to obsess with spec's for spec's sake. The real user experience is what matters. This reminds me also about obsessive discussions about "we need Dolby Vision". I still need to be convinced in it's superiority over HDR10.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I agree with you in general. There is no content out there using that color standard, so why bother? However, I like to think of it as a chicken and egg problem. Perhaps people would make 4:4:4 video if there was ubiquitous consumer hardware that supported viewing it.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I know this is about tvOS (software) - but man I wish we could get a different remote or an additional "Pro Remote" that was nicer to hold/interact with and had a couple more buttons (like Mute & Power - maybe even some reassignable ones too - quick App launching ones would be nice).

We use a bunch of ATV's as Cable replacements (with YouTube TV) and my hatred of the Siri remote is extreme and real. I wish they'd pull some design thoughts from the Roku remotes.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Perhaps. If that'd really matter. People who this day and age still buy DVD-s definitely don't care.
    Plus, we'd need capable cameras as well.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

First, god no. The only thing worse than the Siri remote is the Roku remote. I absolutely detest that remote, with it's spongy feel, branded buttons, and redundantly/confusing symbols.

Second, I do agree. However, you can use third-party remotes with the AppleTV. I've used the Harmony 200 from time to time, and it's pretty darn good for a universal remote.
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Remote-Three-Devices/dp/B005O81U9S

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

You do realize Apple wouldn't have those problems though..

It's a conceptual issue.
    The "super minimalism" thing is the problem.

If Apple did a Roku style "more normal design" remote, it'd have great feeling buttons, typography and symbols and no branded anything.

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I actually love the design of the Apple TV 4K remote. It's a work of art. As ATV is the only thing that I use for my TV, it's the ONLY remote that I care to use. My only gripe is that the trackpad is a little unresponsive at times compared to my old ATV 4 back in the day.
    In all honestly, there's zero that I don't love about Apple TV. It just works - perfectly :)

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I don't see what your complaint is, then. As far as I can see, that's what we have today.

The Siri remote is basically a Roku remote with better feeling buttons, without branded buttons, and without the redundant buttons. Also it's thinner and has a trackpad instead of the D-pad.

My main gripes with the Siri remote are: no mute button and no dedicated power button. I also don't like that it's symetrical front to back, which causes confusion when picking it up without looking. I think mute can be added as double-tapping the volume down button. I think the TV/Home button is unnecessary - holding down Menu does the same thing - and thus it should be changed to be a dedicated power button. The bottom should be extended about a half-inch.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

From above:

I agree with everything you said below..

So we agree - we'd like a more ergonomic/sensible shape with some additional buttons.
    I'm totally with you

15. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

...a color space format no existing or forthcoming content takes advantage of. None. It would be completely useless on this device.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, sorry. I just had a knee-jerk reaction to your mention of Roku. I think that remote is one of the worst remotes ever made.

17. chiefdave macrumors newbie

Would like to see Netflix integrated in to the TV app. And for those of us in the UK a Channel 4 app with TV app integration.

Add in a way to access local content via the app rather than having to go to Computer.

The biggest thing I want is the ability to change MetaData as you can with music. There's so many shows on iTunes that have the wrong information. I've got more than one show where for some reason one season doesn't appear in with the rest of the show but is show name, season x instead. Drives me mad.

And the current setup doesn't handle special, one off episodes at all. For a show like Doctor Who that has a lot of them you have a season 0 that is a complete mess of episodes and extras.

Finally some basic intelligence for movie sorting, so movies in a series appear in order whatever their titles rather than, for example, The Lost World appearing nowhere near the rest of the Jurassic Park movies.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

tvOS12: Apple should eliminate that irritating "icloud" message they introcuded when you don't have an Apple music subscription..

Since iCloud on tvOS is only needed for photo sharing on signing on.. you really don't need to sign in to listen to Apple Music, just iTunes account, unlike others, which is why i've always said, that's a big deal..

Now we have this irritating message every time i turn on/restart Apple TV 4.

I hope Apple realizes their mistake, and go in-line with out devices Mac and Apple TV 3, "Sign in to iCloud FIRST to listen to music"

Otherwise, this just means Apple can irritates to death if they choose. and without any option to disable this, you cannot do a thing about it. I'm sorry, i updated.

https://imgur.com/5jiezJh

19. brynsmith23 macrumors regular

This is what i want.

Atmos
    True HD / DTS MA or X
    HDR +

Just would love a decent HD sound via streaming, its not the 90's anymore, 5.1 Dolby Digital is ok, but for me its the sound that makes the movie and then the screen.

While its great that there is Dolby Vision out there, some of us only have HDR+ (although i haven't seen any content in HDR+ as of yet)

20. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I'd settle for 5.1 DTS-HD and TrueHD.

21. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

It’s not just for Photo’s, it’s also used for games too ie: Scores, Level progress etc.

22. Bob1985 macrumors member

Bob1985

- disallow auto-preview on all apps
    - stream lossless video files from a local server/HDD (MKV format) and send unadulterated, uncompressed video and audio out HDMI
    - allow users to organize their favorite content under one or more menu icons
    - AI upscaling to 4K or 8K