Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Can wait to try audio sharing with 2 sets of airpod pro (spatial audio).

is spatial audio supported on Apple TV? Note on Apple website regarding spatial audio:
  1. Works with AirPods Pro. Requires iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPhone SE (2nd generation).
no mention of Apple TV.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

speedlimiter

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
I haven’t ever seen 4K H264 streams in YouTube-DL

4K H.264 was normal on YouTube a few years ago. They officially said, they don't encode them above 2k anymore but I guess, they still did the whole time. Of course they wanted their VP9 codec to succeed, artificially limiting what the end user could get.

Reactions: entropys and John.B

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
YouTube has supported 4K in H.264 for years. They just limited viewing for end users.

As there's no hardware acceleration in current generation Apple TVs, my bet is on Apple getting special access.
Although there are many third-party video players that support software accelerated playback of 4K in various codecs. Like Infuse

dan71

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
is spatial audio supported on Apple TV? Note on Apple website regarding spatial audio:
  1. Works with AirPods Pro. Requires iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPhone SE (2nd generation).
no mention of Apple TV.
That is sad if it is true,
thanks

ryank425

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
YouTube has supported 4K in H.264 for years. They just limited viewing for end users.

As there's no hardware acceleration in current generation Apple TVs, my bet is on Apple getting special access.

Not true since 2017 videos

Reactions: John.B

Doug Jacobs

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Anybody know if the new TVos includes a sleep timer? Seems like the simplest of ideas that does not exist in the current TVos

Reactions: Orionfox

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What new feature would you want?
At the very minimum, 3-year old Apple TV 4K should be spec bumped to A12X, HDMI 2.1, Wi-Fi 6, and 64/128GB storage.

A10X and HDMI 2.0 are fine for streaming apps, but they are showing age with Apple Arcade. A10X is a Nintendo Switch class processor, which is fine for 1080p but frame rates suffer on 4K. A12X is an Xbox One S class processor, which can upscale 1080p games to 4K without frame rate issue. HDMI 2.1 with ALLM and VRR (similar to proprietary G-Sync or FreeSync) will reduce judder and lag.

5-year old Apple TV HD should be bumped to A12, HDMI 2.1, Bluetooth 5, and Wi-Fi 6, but maybe bundled with $19 Apple Remote (updated with Bluetooth and design refresh) to achieve lower price point ($149 Apple TV HD - $59 Siri Remote + $19 Apple Remote = $109).

Other ideas from most likely to least likely:
  • Less polarizing redesigned Siri Remote (new design is mentioned on iOS beta)
  • Apple designed gaming controller
  • Built-in microphone (instead on the remote)
  • Soundbar form factor
  • Built-in camera for indoor security and webcam

Reactions: 480951 and Wags

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Apple is also bringing Audio Sharing for AirPods to the Apple TV, which means two sets of AirPods can be connected to an Apple TV 4K at the same time. This will let multiple users watch movies and TV shows without disturbing others in the room.

That is really cool, and I called this years ago! I’m not going to dig through my posts, but I remember making a comment back when AirPods were new saying that it would be a neat feature for multiple AirPod users to listen to ATV, especially in multilingual households. One person can listen/watch in English and the other in Spanish, for example.

Not sure if that’s the intent here, but would be cool nonetheless.

EDIT: Okay, I went digging. It was 3 years ago. Almost ?

Looking into the future, a really cool feature they could add is multilingual playback. Imagine streaming a movie that's in English. Someone, say a friend, wants to listen in Spanish. They pop in their AirPods and are good to go. No need for distracting substitles.

Last edited:

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Why no HLG/HDR 10+, HDMI 2.1/eARC support? Also HDR for iTunes tv shows? Why has this stuff taken so long?

Also, any word on a permanent fix to using HomePod as home theatre speakers? I noticed they had homepods in stereo in the presentation connected to Apple TV

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
At the very minimum, 3-year old Apple TV 4K should be spec bumped to A12X, HDMI 2.1, Wi-Fi 6, and 64/128GB storage.

A10X and HDMI 2.0 are fine for streaming apps, but they are showing age with Apple Arcade. A10X is a Nintendo Switch class processor, which is fine for 1080p but frame rates suffer on 4K. A12X is an Xbox One S class processor, which can upscale 1080p games to 4K without frame rate issue. HDMI 2.1 with ALLM and VRR (similar to proprietary G-Sync or FreeSync) will reduce judder and lag.

5-year old Apple TV HD should be bumped to A12, HDMI 2.1, Bluetooth 5, and Wi-Fi 6, but maybe bundled with $19 Apple Remote (updated with Bluetooth and design refresh) to achieve lower price point ($149 Apple TV HD - $59 Siri Remote + $19 Apple Remote = $109).

Other ideas from most likely to least likely:
  • Less polarizing redesigned Siri Remote (new design is mentioned on iOS beta)
  • Apple designed gaming controller
  • Built-in microphone (instead on the remote)
  • Soundbar form factor
  • Built-in camera for indoor security and webcam
Could use Mac Mini form and turn into ARM. Could use for entertainment and home hub.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Pleasant surprise about the 4K. My understanding was the only the A12 and faster were capable of decoding AV1 4K video. The codec is very intense and (unless there's a new work around) doesn't utilize any of the hardware decoders in Apple's current chips much less the aging A10X. Regardless, if this is true for the old model it is a welcome upgrade!

I wonder if bluetooth reliability will improve along with sharing? My AppleTV 4K has a much much worse range than either my iPhone or iPad.

Reactions: Ghost31

Chrisbc

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2015
Will audio sharing work with the Apple TV HD with Siri remote? I believe it’s the 4th generation (model A1625)

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
I hope they finally fix the YouTube app to work with homepods, it’s royal pain to have to select the HomePods then restart the video because the sound got out of sync.

Reactions: firewire9000

Mayostudent

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
Now could YouTube or Apple do something about the audio on AppleTV? I can’t seem to get more than stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.