Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

tvOS 14 Brings Apple TV Support for AirPods Audio Sharing and Watching YouTube Videos in 4K

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
Did anyone else notice a smaller HomePod next to the larger current HomePod during the HomeKit presentation Or am i just seeing things?!

Attachments

• F1F0AA08-7DC8-4793-9E8E-1BC63961F83A.jpeg
    F1F0AA08-7DC8-4793-9E8E-1BC63961F83A.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Wolfpup
Comment

throAU

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I await confirmation that Apple have now started to support vp9 in hardware on ALL their products that include vp9 hardware acceleration.

Stop with this pointless codec war and let users watch content in the codec they like without killing their performance, user experience, and battery life!

Reactions: Wolfpup and nol2001
Comment

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Pleasant surprise about the 4K. My understanding was the only the A12 and faster were capable of decoding AV1 4K video. The codec is very intense and (unless there's a new work around) doesn't utilize any of the hardware decoders in Apple's current chips much less the aging A10X. Regardless, if this is true for the old model it is a welcome upgrade!

I wonder if bluetooth reliability will improve along with sharing? My AppleTV 4K has a much much worse range than either my iPhone or iPad.
I’m surprised too. its probably going to be doing a software level decoding which means that little A10X is going to be working hard good thing Apple put a fan in it.

Reactions: gnomeisland
Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Does 4K YouTube playback mean that Apple now supports the VP9 codec?

I'm not sure. YouTube uses the VP9 video codec for 4k, which Apple doesn't use, so I'm not certain what has changed.

For some reason, the blame tends to somehow be that Apple is doing something to deny YouTube or that Apple isn't supporting VP9, but YouTub is the one using the non-standard standard (not many use it).

YouTube has not bothered to support the standard YouTube uses in their own app.

Keep in mind that Plex will play VP9 on the AppleTV, so it's clearly not anything Apple is stopping YouTube from doing. YouTube has made the choice to not support 4k on ATV.

Comment

frumpsnake

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
I can't see Apple bothering to implement VP9 when
a) it is inferior to HEVC from a quality perspective
b) its only technical benefit, royalty free status, has been challenged by (admitted patent troll) Sisvel who have launched a patent pool with Dolby, Ericsson, JVC, NTT, Philips, Toshiba etc. patents behind them
c) its only practical benefit over HEVC is 4K Youtube...but they have already begun moving to AV1 for 1080p, 1440p, 2160p and 4320p.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it but I think Apple's general plan is AV1 > HEVC > AVC, and thats all there is to it. But they have been late to the open source party before (eg FLAC).

On the flip side, if Youtube "own" the app, they could very well have capitulated and done VP9 in software like in Infuse. But it seems odd for Apple to take credit for it at WWDC.

But speaking of which, also, AV1 software decode has been in Infuse for a good 9 months now.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Did anyone else notice a smaller HomePod next to the larger current HomePod during the HomeKit presentation Or am i just seeing things?!
They are the same size.
[automerge]1592877006[/automerge]
I suppose fixing YouTube's horrible TvOS interface isn't on the table...
That’s YouTube’s horrible interface everywhere. They even implement their own @#$@#!% keyboard for account logins which doesn’t support using your phone to type! AAAAAH

Reactions: ipedro
Comment

jamauai

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
4K currently not showing up in tvOS 14. Must require an update on YouTube's side first. But this is huge, and easily the biggest news for AppleTV. Let's hope this carries over to iPad and Safari as well.

Yeah, both VP9 and AV1 4K YouTube content are showing up as AVC1 in 1080p for me on tvOS 14. Really hoping it’s just a matter of YouTube updating the app.

Unfortunately, I don’t see 4K in Safari YouTube on macOS Big Sur. Side note: Chrome has the option to prefer AV1 when available, but not Safari.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure. YouTube uses the VP9 video codec for 4k, which Apple doesn't use, so I'm not certain what has changed.

YouTube is moving from the VP9 codec to the AV1 codec, which is supported by all the major content providers. So chances are that the tvOS YouTube app now supports AV1 4K streaming and that is how the AppleTV can now show 4K YouTube content.

Reactions: entropys
Comment

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
It must have been Apple. If Google caved, they would need to re-encode all their 4K videos to something the Apple TV supports.
As EPO75, et al mentioned above, my money is on AV1, which is a newer standard that both Google and Apple have agreed on. Which, yes, would mean Google would have to boil the oceans to re-encode all of YouTube’s 4K videos.

Last edited:
Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What new feature would you want?

Make the next HomePod the tv. AirPlay 2 has gotten so reliable and lag free that a HomePod 2 with built in tv could stream wirelessly to any TV in the house with an AirPlay stick plugged into the HDMI port and to TVs with AirPlay already built in. HomePod is the centre of Apple’s home entertainment strategy. It now runs tvOS. The other shoe has yet to drop.

Comment

ParagJain

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Does it bring screentime type of controls to of AppleTV? Also, can anyone share the model compatibility list with the new tvOS ? thx.

Comment

frumpsnake

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
24fps is really 23.976 fps. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No, 24.000 and 23.976 are seperate (and valid) frame rate standards, both in Blu-Ray and Streaming. Apple TV does not handle 24.000 well.

This is an issue for eg. Netflix. For some reason, all of their original films are 24.000 when their original TV tends to be 23.976.

Comment

mogga71

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2017
London
Has it? I stopped using Infuse (wasn't worth the rental fee IMO). Will it play 4k HDR AV1 on the AppleTV 4K? Stutter free?

Infuse plays anything....even 100Gb 4k HDR files flawlessly. The best AppleTV app and the best video playing app on any platform IMHO. Don't use Plex any more as it struggles with big files and having to have server software can be a pain. Basically if Infuse can see a file, it will play it in my experience. If Apple allowed Atmos playing within the files it would be perfect.

Comment

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Note that Apple say we can watch "the latest" YouTube videos in 4K. That's because YouTube are planning to start encoding 4K content in AV1, which Apple support. It's unlikely to mean we can watch any existing 4K YouTube as they're all in VP9.

No momentum of HDR either which is actually vastly more important than 4K. YouTube HDR can be in HLG (Which Apple still refuse to support) or HDR10 (which they do support).
[automerge]1592895861[/automerge]
Does 4K YouTube playback mean that Apple now supports the VP9 codec?
No, it means AV1 which YouTube doesn't yet use but will do in the future.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.