tvOS 9.0 Code Hints at iOS-Like Folder Support for New Apple TV [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith has explored the code and found that HeadBoard, tvOS' UI, includes support for folders. Yesterday, Apple seeded the first beta of tvOS 9.1 to developers, the first software update to tvOS 9.0.

[​IMG]
    Image via Steve Troughton-Smith​

Folders on tvOS currently work in a similar way to iOS, notes Troughton-Smith. A user would just have to drag one app over the other to create a folder. Users would also have the ability to rename folders. Troughton-Smith was able to activate the folders using the LLDB software debugger. The folders appear to use a 3 x 3 layout and sit alongside apps on the Apple TV's home screen, just like folders do in iOS.

In recent days, Apple has been updating the Apple TV's new App Store with Top Charts and Categories for better discoverability. However, those updates were server-side updates that didn't require users to update their software. Folder support would require a software update, but it's unclear which software update Apple would enable it in. Last year, iOS 8 code pointed to split-screen multitasking, but the feature didn't become official until iOS 9 almost a year alter.

Correction: An earlier version of this story wrongly indicated that Steve Troughton-Smith had found the code for tvOS folders in tvOS 9.1. He found the code in the public, released tvOS 9.0.

Article Link: tvOS 9.0 Code Hints at iOS-Like Folder Support for New Apple TV [Updated]

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

why couldn't they handle that in 9.0? seems obvious

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Pretty inevitable with the forthcoming rush of apps.

4. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I just need Bluetooth keyboard support and an update of the remote app.

5. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

3x3 huh? I see we're still focused on wasting as much screen real estate as possible. I'm sure the icons will look great on a 70" HDTV...

Attached Files:

6. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Twenty-four letters between A and Z? This is probably the worst on-screen keyboard I've EVER seen.

Seriously, I've had this thing for 4 hours now and I'm pretty much ready to send this thing back.

It's like someone was intentionally trying to make it bad.
    And just so no one could be happy, they threw away the bluetooth support for keyboards and didn't bother to update the Apple Remote App! I can use my iPhone to type on my TiVo, how does it not work on the Apple TV?!?

Gary

7. haruhiko, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

It's not 3x3 now on an iPad.

After being trained by this hideous one line alphabet touch pad remote flicking keyboard, everyone will be a ninja in using the Siri remote. It's planned.

This Apple TV thing surely is not what Steve Jobs said he cracked it in the Biography.

8. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

3x3? That's what I'd like to have on my Apple Watch!

Gary

9. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I'm excited for WWDC.

I feel like, that is when Apple will kick tvOS into overdrive.

10. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Agreed. ATV4 makes it all too easy to download apps. I might have to sell my 32gb model and upgrade to a 64gb... Silly me for thinking the low end model would suffice.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68040

It's sad that we get excited over such small things. Folders that should've been standard?...

12. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

In Apple new products are developed in secret separate teams so usually these first-gen products (e.g. iPad 1 - stuck in iOS 3.2 for a long time even after release of iOS 4, Apple Watch - native apps, and of course, all sorts of problems with the new Apple TV) seem to be out of place with the current lineup.

13. seamusk macrumors member

I hope apple does not change the on screen keyboard due to the complainers. It's much easier to navigate as a single line.

14. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

I feel like after using the keyboard for a while I've become very good at swiping at just the right speed and distance to land on the right letter. This is actually an improvement over the grid layout because unless it's in line with the previous letter it would be at least two movements to get to the next. I think once people get good at it they will realize why apple did it. My only issue with it now is that it doesn't loop back to the start at the end

15. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

I completely agree. The haters just need to return their devices and get a ROKU or something. I for one Love the new ATV.

16. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

17. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Steve T-S is an amazing person!

He always peaks behind the curtain on beta testing iOS software and finds nice hidden gems and references to future products often.

18. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

Single line text is decent for an onscreen keyboard. A grid would be worthless with this remote...

19. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

20. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

The lack of an app update is probably intentional. The issue is - if they update the remote app to work with the ATV 4, it'll likely outshine the new physical remote... especially when it comes to text input.

21. ErikGrim, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I feel like someone put the AppleTV dev team in a locked windowless shed for the last three years, and they just recently came out for air, and was puzzled as to why no one had told them about TouchID, iCloud Keychain, iCloud Photo Library and Apple Music.

22. MarkusL macrumors 6502

AKA this remote would be worthless with a grid.

23. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

I would rather they tried something different than just folders.

I would prefer it if you could create categories and have apps in a horizontal view, like it is in the Apple TV App Store or Netflix app.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's the priority right now.
    Folder are necessary too and I guess we will see them in a future release, maybe not the 9.1

25. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I'm just afraid it's a design decision rather than a bug or overlook, since tvOS is a variant of iOS and iOS natively supports Bluetooth keyboard (with even better support on the iPad on iOS 9), and the fact that the previous remote app was not given enough attention (developed by one guy)... I am just not optimistic for that.