Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tapbots today launched its long-awaited Tweetbot 4 update, which brings a slew of important changes to the popular Twitter client. Most notably, today's update expands support to the iPad, making Tweetbot 4 a universal app for the first time and bringing an updated look to the tablet version of the app.

tweetbotforipad-800x600.jpg
Tweetbot 4 on iPad, landscape mode​

Tweetbot for the iPad has not been updated since June of 2014 and it was never given a refreshed look in line with the design updates introduced in iOS 7, so today's new iPad app is a welcome change. On the iPad, Tweetbot 4 includes the same clean design that was introduced on the iPhone with Tweetbot 3. Tweetbot 4 includes support for Apple's newest operating system, iOS 9, and it works with the split-screen multitasking feature on Apple's newer iPads.

tweetbotsplitscreenmultitasking-800x600.jpg
Tweetbot 4 split-screen multitasking​

For the first time, Tweetbot 4 introduces a landscape view that's available on the iPad and the iPhone. In landscape mode on the iPhone 6/6s Plus or iPad, the app is able to display two windows side-by-side, so users can watch their timelines and another section like mentions or lists at the same time.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 'Tweetbot 4' Debuts With Universal iPad Support, Split-Screen Multitasking and New Activity View

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Glad to see many long-awaited features have been added. I love TweetBot but I have to keep the official Twitter app on my phone as well as there are some features that aren't available on the api like including multiple photos in a post or autoplaying GIFs.

I have a feeling it won't be long until Twitter pulls support for all third-party apps so they can serve ads to all Twitter users.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Using a bundle discount to give a discount to new users is pretty smart, although it could lead to people accidentally buying the old version unfortunately. Apple should have a built in way of giving upgrades at a discounted price...

Anyways, can't wait to get this on my iPad, I haven't used the ancient version of tweetbot on there since it hasn't had a UI update since iOS 6.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I love tweetbot but find their updates to be incredibly slow compared to the team behind Twitterific. Most of these features are available in Twitterific and have been for a long time. They also have Watch support. I still might buy it, but I'm not sure what the benefits would really be at this point.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I'm awaiting the "I'm not paying again" crowd. $5 (or £3.50, whatever it turns out to be) is great value for a universal app that works so well. I paid more for my lunch today.

Reactions: thekaiju and Galley

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Took an entire year to update and bring iPad support but it finally happened.

Glad to see many long-awaited features have been added. I love TweetBot but I have to keep the official Twitter app on my phone as well as there are some features that aren't available on the api like including multiple photos in a post or autoplaying GIFs.

I have a feeling it won't be long until Twitter pulls support for all third-party apps so they can serve ads to all Twitter users.

Multiple pictures are available through the API. Tweetbot supports it.

I don't see them killing 3rd party clients. But they will be adding ads into the stream so 3rd party sees them. Currently they lose about 1/3 of possible ad views to 3rd party clients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dearfriendx

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
Using a bundle discount to give a discount to new users is pretty smart, although it could lead to people accidentally buying the old version unfortunately. Apple should have a built in way of giving upgrades at a discounted price...

Anyways, can't wait to get this on my iPad, I haven't used the ancient version of tweetbot on there since it hasn't had a UI update since iOS 6.
Old Tweetbot versions are no longer available to purchase. So everybody will buy the right version

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007

I don't believe this will happen if Jack Dorsey is indeed named the permanent CEO. He has already made comments recently in support of developers and he is a keynote speaker at Twitter Flight.

Reactions: AJ Muni

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
Is it worth it?

running Tweetbot 3 on 8.4 iPad Air 2 Jailbroken with Fullforce and Eclipse enabled, looks beautiful. moot since not going to be on iOS 9 yet for that

But maybe for my 6s+ that's on Tweetbot 3... worth the $4.99?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Is it worth it?

running Tweetbot 3 on 8.4 iPad Air 2 Jailbroken with Fullforce and Eclipse enabled, looks beautiful. moot since not going to be on iOS 9 yet for that

But maybe for my 6s+ that's on Tweetbot 3... worth the $4.99?

Worth it a lot more on iPad.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Took an entire year to update and bring iPad support but it finally happened.

This is what I'm worried about. Yeah, it's only $5, but I'd rather spend it on a game or some other app if their support is minimal at best.

Is it worth it? ... worth the $4.99?

I'm trying to figure out what real advantages over the native Twitter client are. At least Twitter updates their iOS app regularly, unlike their Mac version. Tweetbot for Mac is $13, and if the Twitter client on the Mac is supposedly lacking like everyone says it is, I'd spend for this one first.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I love TweetBot but I have to keep the official Twitter app on my phone as well as there are some features that aren't available on the api like including multiple photos in a post or autoplaying GIFs.

They've allowed multiple photos since at least late last year

Reactions: Keane16 and modnar

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Does anyone know if it support push notifications for tweets from anyone you want like the official twitter app does (for example, when macrumors posts I get a notification). This wasnt in tweetbot 3, and none of the reviews for tweetbot 4 mention it.

Malbrute

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
I used to be a huge fan of tweetbot, but their contrast seems completely insane to me. Its great for seeing who tweeted, but terrible for reading actual tweets.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
I promptly paid for TweetBot 3 when it was released. Over the past 2 years it has received so few updates and for my iPad, of course it's stuck in the old iOS 6 version for so many years. I'm still thinking should I support the developer immediately this time. Anyway I will always get the $4.99 upgrade pricing.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
iPad update took way to long in my opinion but I hope its worth the wait. Already purchased and have no problem supporting developers who make such a great app. I think they are pretty smart about how they've gone about their "upgrade" pricing. Now we just need some 3D Touch and an Apple Watch app.

Reactions: lexvo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.