'Tweetbot 4' Debuts With Universal iPad Support, Split-Screen Multitasking and New Activity View

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 1, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tapbots today launched its long-awaited Tweetbot 4 update, which brings a slew of important changes to the popular Twitter client. Most notably, today's update expands support to the iPad, making Tweetbot 4 a universal app for the first time and bringing an updated look to the tablet version of the app.

[​IMG]
    Tweetbot 4 on iPad, landscape mode​

Tweetbot for the iPad has not been updated since June of 2014 and it was never given a refreshed look in line with the design updates introduced in iOS 7, so today's new iPad app is a welcome change. On the iPad, Tweetbot 4 includes the same clean design that was introduced on the iPhone with Tweetbot 3. Tweetbot 4 includes support for Apple's newest operating system, iOS 9, and it works with the split-screen multitasking feature on Apple's newer iPads.

[​IMG]
    Tweetbot 4 split-screen multitasking​

For the first time, Tweetbot 4 introduces a landscape view that's available on the iPad and the iPhone. In landscape mode on the iPhone 6/6s Plus or iPad, the app is able to display two windows side-by-side, so users can watch their timelines and another section like mentions or lists at the same time.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 'Tweetbot 4' Debuts With Universal iPad Support, Split-Screen Multitasking and New Activity View

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yeah! Finally, i'm buying it as soon as I'm home.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Glad to see many long-awaited features have been added. I love TweetBot but I have to keep the official Twitter app on my phone as well as there are some features that aren't available on the api like including multiple photos in a post or autoplaying GIFs.

I have a feeling it won't be long until Twitter pulls support for all third-party apps so they can serve ads to all Twitter users.

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Using a bundle discount to give a discount to new users is pretty smart, although it could lead to people accidentally buying the old version unfortunately. Apple should have a built in way of giving upgrades at a discounted price...

Anyways, can't wait to get this on my iPad, I haven't used the ancient version of tweetbot on there since it hasn't had a UI update since iOS 6.

5. djcode24 macrumors member

djcode24

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

I love tweetbot but find their updates to be incredibly slow compared to the team behind Twitterific. Most of these features are available in Twitterific and have been for a long time. They also have Watch support. I still might buy it, but I'm not sure what the benefits would really be at this point.

7. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I'm awaiting the "I'm not paying again" crowd. $5 (or £3.50, whatever it turns out to be) is great value for a universal app that works so well. I paid more for my lunch today.

8. JackieInCo Suspended

Requires iOS 9. Not losing my jailbreak over this. I'll wait.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

When that day comes....bye bye twitter. I'm out.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015

OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Took an entire year to update and bring iPad support but it finally happened.

Multiple pictures are available through the API. Tweetbot supports it.

I don't see them killing 3rd party clients. But they will be adding ads into the stream so 3rd party sees them. Currently they lose about 1/3 of possible ad views to 3rd party clients.

12. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

Old Tweetbot versions are no longer available to purchase. So everybody will buy the right version

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

I don't believe this will happen if Jack Dorsey is indeed named the permanent CEO. He has already made comments recently in support of developers and he is a keynote speaker at Twitter Flight.

14. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

15. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Is it worth it?

running Tweetbot 3 on 8.4 iPad Air 2 Jailbroken with Fullforce and Eclipse enabled, looks beautiful. moot since not going to be on iOS 9 yet for that

But maybe for my 6s+ that's on Tweetbot 3... worth the $4.99?

16. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

So the developer pulled the old Tweetbot apps? They don't even show up for me in my Purchased tab. :(

17. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Worth it a lot more on iPad.

18. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

How so? Every iOS device made after 2010 supports iOS 9.

19. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

This is what I'm worried about. Yeah, it's only $5, but I'd rather spend it on a game or some other app if their support is minimal at best.

I'm trying to figure out what real advantages over the native Twitter client are. At least Twitter updates their iOS app regularly, unlike their Mac version. Tweetbot for Mac is $13, and if the Twitter client on the Mac is supposedly lacking like everyone says it is, I'd spend for this one first.

20. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

They've allowed multiple photos since at least late last year

21. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

Does anyone know if it support push notifications for tweets from anyone you want like the official twitter app does (for example, when macrumors posts I get a notification). This wasnt in tweetbot 3, and none of the reviews for tweetbot 4 mention it.

22. Malbrute macrumors newbie

Malbrute

I used to be a huge fan of tweetbot, but their contrast seems completely insane to me. Its great for seeing who tweeted, but terrible for reading actual tweets.

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I promptly paid for TweetBot 3 when it was released. Over the past 2 years it has received so few updates and for my iPad, of course it's stuck in the old iOS 6 version for so many years. I'm still thinking should I support the developer immediately this time. Anyway I will always get the $4.99 upgrade pricing.

24. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

iPad update took way to long in my opinion but I hope its worth the wait. Already purchased and have no problem supporting developers who make such a great app. I think they are pretty smart about how they've gone about their "upgrade" pricing. Now we just need some 3D Touch and an Apple Watch app.