Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Twelve iPhone 12 Details You Might Have Missed

Gruuuvy

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Az
"Won't move the needle"??? My response is WRONG! Why? Read an article recently that a high percentage of Apple users already thought their phones were 5G. The conclusion is most Apple iPhone users use their phones due to ease, ecosystem, and comfort; 99% of Android and Apple users are not Geeks or Tech aficionados. They may know how to update apps but only 1 % know how to get into the BETA side of the OS.... Predict this production will be a MAJOR HIT, and Apple's marketing event will help this sell better than the iPhone 11. Apple's marketing event might not of went over big for all the Dudes who are the biggest reviewers for all tech but the market isn't just comprised of dudes. This is a phone for women as well and let's be honest, women are a major accessory buyer and when it comes to tech Apple's ecosystem is a major accessory from 16-60 year olds...

Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Important to note the sensor of the iPhone 12 Pro Max is different than the iPhone 12. People just think it's a different telephoto lens and sensorshift, but really it has a bigger sensor with bigger pixels = cleaner photos.
This sucks. Stop doing this apple. Size should be the only differentiating feature. Thought with 11 you finally sobered up.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome
Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
5G mmWave is basically a net negative on the phones. Why apple went along with this gimmick is not clear. Do they really need extra money from Verizon. Less battery life, less stable structure. Pointless.

Reactions: MartyvH
Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
But who is gonna watch a video for 17 hours. Are you working, do you have bills to pay, do you cook, put your phone down, go outside, get some fresh air, talk to people, meditate, use other devices, sleep, eat, shower, do number two? There is life outside of that 18 hrs.
Its not video its everything. I never recharge my 11 Pro during the day. And for work I am a very heavy user. My 8 was needing to be charged by late afternoon. The 11 Pro was wonderful. The Pro should not have less of anything compared to the 12. Its just makes a mockery of your 200 bucks.

Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I still don’t get how they can call it a pro phone while the lightning port maxes out at usb 2.0 speed.
Imagine if you record a 10s of GB of 4K or Slo Mo video and the fastest way to transfer it is using a usb2.0 speed lightning cable.
Did not know this (stopped plugging my phone in except for photos awhile ago). This is sad. But they probably save pennies and its “good for the environment”.

Comment

Biorunner

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
London
That picture made me uncomfortable in so many ways. 🤐

This is clearly a bait comment but I’m gonna bite anyway.

Are you uncomfortable because it made you realise something you don’t like about yourself or did you see something a little different and have an episode of irrational fear?

I personally didn’t like the picture but only because it didn’t really sell night mode to me. The colour was too saturated and the lighting looked a little harsh.

Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68030
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its not video its everything. I never recharge my 11 Pro during the day. And for work I am a very heavy user. My 8 was needing to be charged by late afternoon. The 11 Pro was wonderful. The Pro should not have less of anything compared to the 12. Its just makes a mockery of your 200 bucks.
If your work depends on your phone, then getting a battery pack is essential. For the average everyday user. It’s not essential. For me, I only get to use my phone for one hour at work. But the reality is, it’s still a phone and it should not in any situation require excessive use. For me, it’s a complimentary device. If it wasn’t the Apple would not be making Macs and iPads. We need to be more rational about our device usage.

Comment

Macaholic868

Contributor
Feb 2, 2017
So, iPhone 13 will likely remove wired connectivity to the computer thanks to this MagSafe connector thing. Also, there will be absolutely no way I can recharge my iPhone on the go or in the wild unless that MagSafe charger has USB-C port at the other end, which I doubt. Time to buy duck tape for recharging on the go.
If Apple removes the charging ports eventually then you can safely bet that third party accessory makers will produce a MagSafe compatible case that has a charging port that can be used to charge the phone just like they already make cases for iPhones with an additional battery pack built into the case that can be used to extend the battery life on existing phones. Most of those cases allow you to plug them into power and recharge both the iPhone and the additional battery in the case at the same time.

I’d be shocked if Apple didn’t make cases like that available at launch if they do eliminate wired charging. It will be a problem that many users will need a solution to and if Apple can make even more money per sale on average by hawking a solution to a problem they create you can be sure they’ll do it. See what they are doing with earbuds and power bricks on the iPhone 12.

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The pricing thing is really annoying coming from Apple. I mean they literally push the $699 pricing as if that's the actual baseline price. This makes Apple feel like Xiaomi, who always announced a flash sale price in their announcement (real market price is higher).

Seriously Apple, you are a trillion dollar company, do you have to stoop so low to use that cheap marketing trick? All so you can have pocket change from Verizon and have them do advertising on your own keynote? It smells. Is Qualcomm really hurting your pocketbook Apple?

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This isn’t really the details we missed. These are mainly the differences mentioned in the keynote. There aren’t many this year, and yet this roundup misses a big one that isn’t readily apparent: a much bigger sensor inside the Pro Max wide camera. The advanced camera features are pushing me towards the Max this year. I’ll probably regret it since I don’t like phablets. But it’s 2020 and I don’t care any more. Having longer battery life will probably be good for the upcoming calamity in the US anyway. Gotta capture the downfall of modern society in 4K60 10-bit Dolby Vision! I’ve got solar chargers.

Reactions: matrix07
Comment

awhk

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
First year skipping the upgrade since the 3GS. Wanted a 6.1” Pro but when I compare specs with my 11 Pro Max, it’s not worthwhile.

Comment

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
While I admit newer A14 chips having greater efficiency, but somehow why is very hard for Apple for making bigger battery paired with high efficiency chips = all day long battery life.

Each time they accomplish more power efficient chips, they also looking chance to squeeze out battery capacity as small as possible.

Comment

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I still don’t get how they can call it a pro phone while the lightning port maxes out at usb 2.0 speed.
Imagine if you record a 10s of GB of 4K or Slo Mo video and the fastest way to transfer it is using a usb2.0 speed lightning cable.
Apple has got to protect their iCloud service.

Comment

nikhil88

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
I really wanted to get an iphone 12 mini and since there were reports that cheaper iphones 12s will be manufactured in India, the prices should be less however they have still jacked up prices so much in India. We'll have to shell out almost $950 for mini, 1100 for iphone 12, 1600 for pro and 1800 for pro max.

Comment

Zammir

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Las Vegas
I’m confused, are iPhones all unlocked from the Apple store? I ask because I have AT&T and would like to take advantage of the discount, but then is it any different than getting the sim less one?

Comment

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
So isn't this proper zoom for taking pictures of things far away?

No phone has a true zoom lens like on an SLR/DSLR. They have several fixed focus lenses, and then they have digital zoom to simulate the affect. The 2.5 factor would be like 125mm lens on an old film camera which is a pretty healthy telephoto

Comment

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
Iphone X= 2716 mah crap battery life
iphone xs= 2658 mah crap battery life
iphone 11 pro= 3046 mah very good battery life
iphone 12 pro= 2775(alleged not confirmed)
Well if they did mention their capacity, your parents would have a clear idea of Apple mocking them with marketing tricks like 18-20 hours of video playtime...Reducing total capacity is unacceptable...

That small upgrade on the battery on the 11 Pro was not enough to increase battery life in a meaningful way. They also increased the efficiency with the A13 and made the display 15% more efficient.

A14 should be even more efficient on 5nm node (around 15%). I doubt most people will notice any difference, unless 5G is really bad for battery life.

But the battery size alone is never the full picture of battery life.

Comment

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
While I admit newer A14 chips having greater efficiency, but somehow why is very hard for Apple for making bigger battery paired with high efficiency chips = all day long battery life.

Each time they accomplish more power efficient chips, they also looking chance to squeeze out battery capacity as small as possible.

That's likely because they made the device thinner. It went from 8.1mm to 7.4mm.

We are now closer to the 7.1mm on the iPhone 7 that i enjoyed a lot. The 7.7mm from the X felt very fat in comparison.

Never had any problems with battery life of the X, so for me they could go even thinner.

Comment

Tevosn

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Do people like the design of this years phone? I’m mainly thinking of the iPhone 5 like edges of the phone, I always thought it was unpleasant to hold and was glad when they ditched that in favor of a more rounded phone.

Comment

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Making feature exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro Max is absolute ********. Forcing people to get the most expensive model, even if you don’t want a humongous screen, is a dick move Apple.

Comment

Coolkiwi

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
London
What I don't understand is if you can still charge your phone using the usual USB plug with a connector that connects to the bottom of the phone or if the only way you can charge the new ones is with a MagSafe charger. Does anyone know the answer?
You can look at the AR ‘photos’ on the Apple website. Rotating it towards the bottom, it still shows the usual Lightening Port.

Attachments

• 53B09A07-6590-4532-B1E3-91C8B25266D4.jpeg
    53B09A07-6590-4532-B1E3-91C8B25266D4.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 15
Comment

Coolkiwi

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
London
Do people like the design of this years phone? I’m mainly thinking of the iPhone 5 like edges of the phone, I always thought it was unpleasant to hold and was glad when they ditched that in favor of a more rounded phone.
I’ve always preferred the squared off look, but admit I always put a cover on it to protect it, so don’t feel the ‘sharpness’ of it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.