Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Twelve iPhone 12 Details You Might Have Missed

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No phone has a true zoom lens like on an SLR/DSLR. They have several fixed focus lenses, and then they have digital zoom to simulate the affect. The 2.5 factor would be like 125mm lens on an old film camera which is a pretty healthy telephoto
Is this comparable to the zoom on the latest Samsung and Huawei phones?

Comment

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
But who is gonna watch a video for 17 hours. Are you working, do you have bills to pay, do you cook, put your phone down, go outside, get some fresh air, talk to people, meditate, use other devices, sleep, eat, shower, do number two? There is life outside of that 18 hrs.

It's not about watching video for 17 or 18 hours, it's a rough guide for what kind of battery life you can expect. The 12 Pro has less battery life than the 11 Pro. It's not much of a difference. It has 94% of the life when used like this, but I could see how some heavy users may be thinking about upgrading, know that it's 5nm, and then being disappointed that it's not longer battery life.

Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Iphone X= 2716 mah crap battery life
iphone xs= 2658 mah crap battery life
iphone 11 pro= 3046 mah very good battery life
iphone 12 pro= 2775(alleged not confirmed)
Well if they did mention their capacity, your parents would have a clear idea of Apple mocking them with marketing tricks like 18-20 hours of video playtime...Reducing total capacity is unacceptable...

And this is exactly why they don't advertise in terms of capacity, because at the end of the day it leads to this massively flawed comparison. As iPhones develop, they become more efficient (e.g. 5 nm process), so they can deliver the same performance with a lower capacity battery. When I was a kid I had a torch that would eat its way through two D-cell batteries (that's maybe 10,000 mah) in a matter of hours of reading comics under the duvet. Today I can run an LED torch off a 500 mah battery for days. So would you say my old torch was better?

Why get hung up on battery capacity when what really matters is how long your phone will last between charges?

Last edited:
Comment

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina
So isn't this proper zoom for taking pictures of things far away?

No lol. Most flagship Android phones have 3 to 5x actual zoom in, as where the pro max is only 2.5x. Supposedly won't catch up with the rest of the world until 2022, though I bet the pictures will look the same across all lenses, as where the color balance looks drastically different on some of the Android phones between lenses.

Comment

SnakeEater1993

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2020
And this is exactly why they don't advertise in terms of capacity, because at the end of the day it leads to this massively flawed comparison. As iPhones develop, they become more efficient (e.g. 5 nm process), so they can deliver the same performance with a lower capacity battery. When I was a kid I had a torch that would eat its way through two D-cell batteries (that's maybe 10,000 mah) in a matter of hours of reading comics under the duvet. Today I can run an LED torch off a 500 mah battery for days. So would you say my old torch was better?

Why get hung up on battery capacity when what really matters is how long your phone will last between charges?
But the thing is this year iPhones' battery capacity was reduced AND they have worse battery technology...new cpu will struggle to compensate for these TWO factors that are worsening battery life...

Comment

SnakeEater1993

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2020
So, iPhone 13 will likely remove wired connectivity to the computer thanks to this MagSafe connector thing. Also, there will be absolutely no way I can recharge my iPhone on the go or in the wild unless that MagSafe charger has USB-C port at the other end, which I doubt. Time to buy duck tape for recharging on the go.

Because a lot of people are obsessed with thinner device. Because Johnny Ive dictates that thin device like a piece of paper is the future of smartphone. Because thin device are generally lighter so people playing with their phone at the bed won’t feel tired lifting a piece of paper. The list goes on and on.
EVERYONE's demanding better battery life, nobody wants thinner devices...to play with at their bed...not everyone is a 12 year old...jesus
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The iPhone 12 Pro is such a middling product that is sure to be a poor seller. The other 3 phones have a reason for existing.

Why couldn’t they just give the 12 Pro the same cameras as the Max? It can’t be price or profit, because the price difference isn’t huge, and the larger screen and battery would account for a lot of that difference anyway.

I feel like Apple could have given the 12 Pro the same camera at a very similar price, but decided it’s something they’ll fix in the iPhone 13.

Reactions: temptee
Comment

Jeffey47

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Apple quietly adds the Chinese GPS (BeiDou) coverage to the whole iPhone 12 line for the first time. BeiDou provides better global signal coverage and more location resolution compare to GPS.

Here is copied from Apple iPhone 12 spec. page:

• Built-in GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
EVERYONE's demanding better battery life, nobody wants thinner devices...to play with at their bed...not everyone is a 12 year old...jesus
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I want better battery life over thinner device. But, Johnny Ive want thinner device. Turns out, what I want is not what Ive want. So we get thinner device year after year at the cost of battery life.

Comment

robertosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
France
Another detail, iPhone 12 mini is the iPhone with highest pixel density ever made.

Attachments

• 534190A7-51FE-4365-9710-0F0F92138007.png
    534190A7-51FE-4365-9710-0F0F92138007.png
    594.9 KB · Views: 9
Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
does anyone know if this new magsafe feature is going to basically kill a ton of old wireless chargers(as in not work with the new iphones)?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.