Twitter for Mac (formerly Tweetie) to Launch with Mac App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RazorianFly has outed a screenshot of the Mac App Store which shows an official Mac twitter client.
    The release should look familiar to fans of Atebits's Tweetie for Mac. The future of Tweetie had been in question after Twitter acquired the developer back in May. The primary reason for the acquisition had been for Tweetie for iPhone, but it seems they have now rebranded Tweetie as the official Twitter client for Mac.

The Mac App Store is expected to launch at noon eastern on Thursday, Jan 6th.

Article Link: Twitter for Mac (formerly Tweetie) to Launch with Mac App Store

2. Joe-Diver macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

I don't really tweet myself....but I'm excited about the app store.

3. headfuzz macrumors 6502

headfuzz

A Twitter client. Great. How is this a shining example of the benefits of the Mac App Store, exactly...?:confused:

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

You obviously know nothing of Tweetie and its development history.

5. mirffy macrumors member

Looking forward to this. Have been waiting for an update for a *long* time!

6. The General macrumors 601

What did you expect? Photoshop for $4.99?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

8. griffd macrumors newbie

pricing for apps we already own?

does anyone know how they will handle pricing for apps we already have purchased directly from the developers? I can see myself re-buying upgrades to apps I've already purchased on the same platform.

9. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yes. Very much so. I have used both versions of Tweetie (iOS and Mac) before they became "official."

I would love to see this.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Now THAT would be a killer feature.

Even without that this has been a long time coming.

12. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

And these whole screen, no multitasking, apps from the Mac App Store are a step forward?

13. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

What?

14. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Finally. And "tomorrow?"
    Dang. :)

IMHO, Tweetie was hands down the best Twitter client for iOS/Mac OS X. Seemed a smart acquisition for Twitter.

15. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

The App Store apps will use full screen because of the sand box. That means that while using the app you can do nothing else at the same time.

For example, you can't watch EyeTV and Tweet simultaneously with Mac Store Apps. Sure you can switch between them and I understand that it has to be this way to lock the apps down, but I think it is a step backwards.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

God, yes. Why it didn't have that feature from the start, I don't know.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you visiting here from an alternate universe?

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Here's one example: http://realmacsoftware.com/blog/mac-app-store-pricing

They're cutting the price of RapidWeaver 5 to $39.99 for the Mac App Store "for a limited time," to let 4.0 owners have an upgrade price. I imagine that will be the most popular way. Previous owners get a reduced upgrade price + it's a launch sale.

19. goobot, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011

goobot macrumors 601

goobot

YES! i was hoping for this. i love the ipad and iphone version so much. they are put together amazingly. plus the beta for the web version is really cool too.

unfortunately the current ios version dont sync with each other (ipad to iphone and visa versa.) i agree it would be very cool and hope it comes soon!

20. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

ummmm... you have no idea what you are talking about. the mac app store is not iOS app running sandboxed, nor is it mac apps running standboxed... it is REGULAR, HONEST TO GOD, Mac OS X Apps, just like the ones you buy today from Best Buy or online from a software website. The differences?

1. Central location to buy the apps from.
    2. Apps must have a new way to install so the App Store can handle the install process, no more .dmg files sitting in your download folder on the desktop.
    3. Apps must be allowed to install on any number of machines as long as they share the same iTunes user id.
    4. Apps must be approved by Apple for content and various other concerns.

That's it, these are the same apps as you bought before just in a new way. For example, RealMac's RapidWeaver, a full up Mac OS X HTML builder will be on the store tomorrow. Twitter for Mac (formely Tweetie for Mac) will be on the store tomorrow, it too is and was a full Mac OS X app.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm still ticked at Loren and MacHeist. Many of us purchased last year's bundle because we were promised a free early beta upgrade to Tweetie for Mac 2. I understand there was the acquisition, but not one word of following through with the agreement. Now with the update going live tomorrow, it would seem we were swindled.

22. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

even thou i found a few bugs on the iPhone app Tweetdeck syncs both on your iPhone app and Mac client..

they're both free btw, and tweetdeck has a VERY impressive interface, if i wasn't so used to using Twitbird tweetdeck would be my app of choice..

worth trying out

23. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think you're getting confused with the full screen feature in Lion. In Lion, the green Zoom button is being re-purposed to provide one-click access to an optional Full Screen interface that developers can choose to implement for their apps (a la iPhoto '11).

24. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Echofon syncs with iOS. I use Echofon on the Mac and it syncs my read/unread tweets with Echofon on the iPhone & iPad. I've never been a fan of Tweetie, I think Echofon is 100x better!

http://www.echofon.com/