Twitter May Soon Remove 'Likes' in Ongoing Effort to Promote Healthy Conversations

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twitter is reportedly planning to remove "likes" from the social media platform as its CEO Jack Dorsey told employees at an in-house event last week that he was "not a fan of the heart-shaped button," and that it would be eliminated "soon" (via Variety). In a Tweet, the Twitter Communications team said it is "rethinking everything" about the platform to incentivize healthy conversation, neither confirming nor denying the rumor.

[​IMG]

The removal of the like button is said to be aimed at improving the quality of debate on Twitter, preventing people from showing favoritism in a tweet thread by liking the comments they agree with. Everything else in terms of tweet interaction appears to be staying intact, however, so users can expect retweets and replies to look the same as they currently do if the like button disappears.

It has now been three years since Twitter first rebranded "stars" and "favorites" to "hearts" and "likes." At the time, the company said that the original star system was "confusing" for new users and that hearts would be more straightforward. Since then, Twitter has come under fire for its lax responses to certain user harassment claims and safety practices in its tweet threads, leading to privacy updates and reporting features.

More recently, the company confirmed that it will bring back the classic reverse chronological timeline as an option for users. Over the years, Twitter has introduced a curated timeline that mixes in ads, Tweets liked by friends, follower recommendations, and more, instead of the original and simple reverse chronological list of tweets. The return of the reverse chronological timeline will kick off as a test for some users this fall.

Article Link: Twitter May Soon Remove 'Likes' in Ongoing Effort to Promote Healthy Conversations

2. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

I can think of another website which should probably do the same. The irony here is I will probably receive likes for this.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2018 ---
    Same thing.

3. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Psychologically, that is a turn off. That is why neither Facebook nor Twitter (or even MacRumors) have "dislike" or thumbs-down capabilities.

There is a real opportunity to ENHANCE upvote/downvote capabilities on social media but that won't generate additional revenue and so it won't be implemented.

4. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

This seems like a big step backward in terms of interaction with the timeline.

5. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

If what you are arguing or posting is valid, then by all means it deserves the likes or thumbs up or hearts galore. Removing the upvotes only puts everyone on an even platform, regardless of the content they choose to share or spew

6. lunarworks macrumors 65816

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

8. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

I will never understand how you can expect “healthy conversation” in an open forum.

9. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

You have to remember that thanks to the modern educational system we're all winners and all deserve a trophy.
    If you get upvotes and I don't it'll make me feel very inadequate and hurt my feelings.
    This way (no up or downvotes) we're all equal.
    See?

10. Valbunny macrumors member

Valbunny

I personally don’t use Twitter. But this is great, in my opinion likes/dislikes in general, just creates cancer more often than not. (Reddit) :oops:

11. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I'd have voted with a "laugh" vs a like for this one!

Likes are good but maybe they should be changed to "agree" or "correct" or "thanks" instead of like. There are plenty of times on MR that I see a post that is useful in providing information that I'd say "thanks" or "correct" to.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

No, no, no.....I hate this idea. It was bad enough when Macrumors got rid of the dislike button.

13. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Some people liked mean things so now no one can like anything? The same logic would remove the reply button and even the tweet button.

14. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Sounds like you haven't experienced that. I'm a long-standing member on a few fora... 18+ years on one of them. There are plenty of places on the internet where considerate people congregate. We can talk about anything and everything without disrespecting and insulting other members. On those sites, I get along better with those members than with members of my extended family. lol.gif

15. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Are Facebook and Twitter competing to be the most unscrupulous and tone-deaf company on the planet? Sure seems like it. They should probably focus on removing literal Nazis and credible threats of violence from their platform instead of stupid **** like this.

16. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

17. AgustoPinochet macrumors newbie

AgustoPinochet

I moved to Gab.com because twitter kept censoring free speech. Now gab is being shutdown, I'm off to minds now.

Twitter curates their "trending" list and artificially silences users with opinions they don't agree with, it's completely biased and anti-free speech. Removing the like button is just the next step in making twitter more of tool to guide public opinion to that of what the shareholders want rather than true organic debate (the last thing they want).

18. augustrushrox macrumors member

Twitter is the problem with Twitter.

19. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Funny thing is one of my favorite forums uses up votes and down votes. Conversations are much more civil and on topic. Rather than showing them separately. It is an overall tally. If someones comments hit an overall -5 they are automatically hidden. So, anyone spewing nonsensical rhetoric, &c. Get wiped away from view. But you have the option to expand and view the comment if so desired.

Just think of here. All the constant trolling, Apple bashing comments, what would Steve Jobs do or complaints about products which have nothing to do with an article would disappear. Like an iPhone rumor article then people complaining about the lack of updated Macs would be down voted into oblivion or Tim Cook doing something on his free time filled with complaints about lack of focus on the Mac. I like MacRumors but it gets very negative. Perhaps it is nostalgia but I remember it being much more civil and enthusiast filled ten to fifteen years ago.

Down votes might actually help with Twitter and Facebook civility. Then people might see that their vile comment which gets 100 likes actually gets 10,000 dislikes or their comments are hidden from the conversation unless someone chooses to expand it. At any rate it might encourage at least some to keep a civil tongue. Especially if friends, family, colleagues and those they admire down vote them.

Unfortunately, there is also the issue of what is being down voted. If some article about a horrible event is linked. Are people down voting your comment or the tragedy?

20. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Hey! Talk to Apple. They know a few things about removing features people actually use :p

21. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Pick one:
    • High level of engagement with a broad audience
    • A healthy conversation
    You can't have both.

22. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Hey..... you might be on to something.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's more along the lines of simply "people".

24. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Actually, MacRumor's used to have a downvote function in the javascript. It wasn't exposed through the UI, but you could pull up a web debugger and downvote comments. I know because I used to do it. Haven't checked if it's still there in awhile.