Twitter May Soon Remove 'Likes' in Ongoing Effort to Promote Healthy Conversations

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Ideal solution:
  • Remove the "Likes" button. Twitter is right. This button is toxic.
  • Add "Save" button, which is private and unknown to the person who tweeted the message.
  • Comment is no longer optional on retweet. RT count is also private to the person who tweeted the message.
  • Add a subscription ($0.99/month or so) that allows only the account holder to see their retweet count. "Save" count remains private.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
It was Kanye West that advised Jack Dorsey to have an option that remove likes from Twitter
Really? Well I don’t think Kanye cares about that stuff anymore, so I’m not surprised he’s making a suggestion that will up-end one way his peers soak up validation.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I spoke to someone in a shop today. They asked why I looked confused. I told the chap that I didn't understand what cloning was. "You and me both" he replied. I didn't know if he was joking cos there wasn't any Emojis to see And what is worse. He never told me if he liked my comment. Apparently its because he didn't have a Like feature on his face. What's the world coming to, readers? I asked Siri to think for me as usual and it didn't understand either. Life is so unfair isn't it? Siri? Google? Alexa? Can the human brain still think independently without a WiFi connection? I've never tried!

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
So liking a post shows favoritism? It’s an easy way for someone to express “I agree with this” without adding another post and cluttering things up. This is stupid.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
Good, hope it results in more content and less attention seeking.
Probably retweeting will be more instead, of those who then can’t like posts.
So, we’ll see what changes it will do o_O

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Turns out that being the place where crazy white racists crow before going to shoot down eleven people in a Pittsburgh synagogue isn't a very good business model.
Yeah, it's funny how more often than not, it's people who spew incessant hate speech on every platform they can are those who whine about how their free speech is under attack... constantly ignoring the fact that it's not the government who's silencing them. Gab was a cancer on the internet full of hate speech and racist/sexist/xenophobic idiots. It should've been shut down a LONG time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: tubular

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
What is “healthy?” Never having your feeling hurt?
Depends who you ask. Censorship of any kind (like removing the like feature) is unhealthy. However social media seems to be making a push towards exactly what you stated, incubating people in an environment where they won’t come across “bad things”

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Why? Likes seem fine. Most people just use it to acknowledge that they read something. But brining back chrono feed is a good step. I'm glad these companies are finally realizing they can't be so arrogant with these changes after Snapchat got destroyed for it.
[doublepost=1540857472][/doublepost]
Depends who you ask. Censorship of any kind (like removing the like feature) is unhealthy. However social media seems to be making a push towards exactly what you stated, incubating people in an environment where they won’t come across “bad things”
The problem is you end up seeing uncensored stuff from people you don't know and will never meet, so the audience is kinda captive. This encourages people to spam angry posts and other crap that almost nobody wants to spend their time reading, and people get driven away. If you were only communicating with your friends, fine, leave it uncensored.
[doublepost=1540857981][/doublepost]
I will never understand how you can expect “healthy conversation” in an open forum.
I don't know what discussions you're having, but it's usually healthy where I hang out. :p
[doublepost=1540858418][/doublepost]
You've been spending a lot of time in public squares in ancient Rome? Or did you mean the more popular plural of forum, forums, used to refer to things like online communities?

:p

edit: and of course by being grammar police I've stepped all over the healthy debate point you were validly making. whoops!
Latin nouns get different endings based on usage. If it were Latin, you wouldn't spend time on "fora" but on "foris," the plural ablative or locative (tbh I don't remember the exact difference, but same ending anyway).
[doublepost=1540858603][/doublepost]
Lack of free speech is exactly why Twitter is garbage. They play favorites, promote agendas, and manipulate discourse.
That's not the issue, except for the people who want Alex Jones tweets. The platform is full of utter garbage. Not the kind that anyone would censor, just bland and pointless tweets, plus ads/spam. The only real purpose is for famous people.
[doublepost=1540858996][/doublepost]
I personally don’t use Twitter. But this is great, in my opinion likes/dislikes in general, just creates cancer more often than not. (Reddit) :oops:
Dislikes on Reddit are annoying. The likes are part of the system, though. They want to rank posts. Except dislikes are useful in one way, to provide the "controversial" tab, which I find interesting and unique.

I've been on the Subreddit for Bitcoin and the one for Bitcoin Cash. Mortal enemies. Everyone is liking and disliking everything accordingly. It encourages vast amounts of cancer, but maybe it's good that those people have their time tied up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisnotmyname

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
So you actually think anyone cares what you like or not? You reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Likes are just farts in the wind. Wasn’t that a rock song? Anyway.....

Kids growing up today will never know the time “before” likes. Then again nice big suborbital EMP and we all back in the 1800’s.

Maybe Amish are smarter than we think.
If i gave a crap what you thought i would probably jst shoot myself.

Dude... kighten up. It’s
So you actually think anyone cares what you like or not? You reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Likes are just farts in the wind. Wasn’t that a rock song? Anyway.....

Kids growing up today will never know the time “before” likes. Then again nice big suborbital EMP and we all back in the 1800’s.

Maybe Amish are smarter than we think.
If I gave a crap what you thought I would just....

Dude. Lighten up. It's called hyperbole. Remember that? Or did you drop out before 3rd grade?

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Why? Likes seem fine. Most people just use it to acknowledge that they read something. But brining back chrono feed is a good step. I'm glad these companies are finally realizing they can't be so arrogant with these changes after Snapchat got destroyed for it.
[doublepost=1540857472][/doublepost]
The problem is you end up seeing uncensored stuff from people you don't know and will never meet, so the audience is kinda captive. This encourages people to spam angry posts and other crap that almost nobody wants to spend their time reading, and people get driven away. If you were only communicating with your friends, fine, leave it uncensored.
[doublepost=1540857981][/doublepost]
I don't know what discussions you're having, but it's usually healthy where I hang out. :p
[doublepost=1540858418][/doublepost]
Latin nouns get different endings based on usage. If it were Latin, you wouldn't spend time on "fora" but on "foris," the plural ablative or locative (tbh I don't remember the exact difference, but same ending anyway).
[doublepost=1540858603][/doublepost]
That's not the issue, except for the people who want Alex Jones tweets. The platform is full of utter garbage. Not the kind that anyone would censor, just bland and pointless tweets, plus ads/spam. The only real purpose is for famous people.
[doublepost=1540858996][/doublepost]
Dislikes on Reddit are annoying. The likes are part of the system, though. They want to rank posts. Except dislikes are useful in one way, to provide the "controversial" tab, which I find interesting and unique.

I've been on the Subreddit for Bitcoin and the one for Bitcoin Cash. Mortal enemies. Everyone is liking and disliking everything accordingly. It encourages vast amounts of cancer, but maybe it's good that those people have their time tied up there.
You have a South Park profile pic and you’re arguing for censorship? Really?

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
You have a South Park profile pic and you’re arguing for censorship? Really?
Yeah, cause I turn on South Park when I want to watch South Park. I go on social media when I want to hear about my friends, not about my friends' friends' radical ideologies. I'm sorry but there is only a small minority of people who really want to follow Alex Jones and such, and they still can, just elsewhere.

Just like I don't watch South Park with my girlfriend, only with the "bros." There's a time and place for everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedwigg

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I'd have voted with a "laugh" vs a like for this one!

Likes are good but maybe they should be changed to "agree" or "correct" or "thanks" instead of like. There are plenty of times on MR that I see a post that is useful in providing information that I'd say "thanks" or "correct" to.
I agree. Our site uses multiple “likes.”

gdmedia

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Austin, TX
Are Facebook and Twitter competing to be the most unscrupulous and tone-deaf company on the planet? Sure seems like it. They should probably focus on removing literal Nazis and credible threats of violence from their platform instead of stupid **** like this.
[doublepost=1540898783][/doublepost]A “healthy” conversation, to Jack Dorsey, is one that complies with the globalist corporate agenda. Right now Twitter is already concentrating on the “literal nazis”, which, to them, means anyone on the right they find politically threatening. Since our 1st amendment prevents the government from doing it, corporations are doing the job of removing dissent. And they’re just getting started.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
If i gave a crap what you thought i would probably jst shoot myself.

Dude... kighten up. It’s

If I gave a crap what you thought I would just....

Dude. Lighten up. It's called hyperbole. Remember that? Or did you drop out before 3rd grade?
HaHa.....not sure who needs to lighten up. Guess some couldn’t tell I am rattling the cage with food for thought.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is only going to decrease engagement overall and increase unnecessary RT’s or useless comments to denote a “Like”.

Petetastic

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2018
Of all the problems on Twitter, when was the “like” feature ever a problem? I would think an edit button would be more useful. And maybe restricting bots, mitigating harassment, and shutting down users who threaten things like nuclear war.

I mean, come on.