Twitter May Soon Remove 'Likes' in Ongoing Effort to Promote Healthy Conversations

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Some people liked mean things so now no one can like anything? The same logic would remove the reply button and even the tweet button.
No kidding! Next thing we'll have is pre-defined conversations and responses.

People "like" responses - or not - as an acknowledgement. Remove that and we might as well be shouting at the wind!

Techwatcher

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
If what you are arguing or posting is valid, then by all means it deserves the likes or thumbs up or hearts galore. Removing the upvotes only puts everyone on an even platform, regardless of the content they choose to share or spew
But some celebs literally get likes just for posting (and most of the time it’s garbage). So this will be good in some areas.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

People "like" responses - or not - as an acknowledgement. Remove that and we might as well be shouting at the wind!
So you actually think anyone cares what you like or not? You reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Likes are just farts in the wind. Wasn’t that a rock song? Anyway.....

Kids growing up today will never know the time “before” likes. Then again nice big suborbital EMP and we all back in the 1800’s.

Maybe Amish are smarter than we think.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Lol this will only support people being silent and afraid to speak up. Likes are an easy way to show you support something without having to interact with trolls.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Sounds like you haven't experienced that. I'm a long-standing member on a few fora... 18+ years on one of them. There are plenty of places on the internet where considerate people congregate. We can talk about anything and everything without disrespecting and insulting other members. On those sites, I get along better with those members than with members of my extended family. View attachment 799236
Not saying I haven't experienced that, I have on several of my forums but I still run across some unhealthy conversation and have to redirect it to a designated section or remove the commentary all together. Even here they've implemented specific sections reserved for more "intense" conversation. Twitter is wide open and essentially the town square of the world right now, hard to expect people to remain civil in such a setting where there are really no limits and there's nowhere else for good or bad intentions to go aside from deletion.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Lol this will only support people being silent and afraid to speak up. Likes are an easy way to show you support something without having to interact with trolls.
Trouble is latest generation takes to heart these likes. Suicide rate up by 25% for boys and 75% for girls. Stop careing so much what other people think. Too much weight given to opinions.

Tofupunch

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
I'm new to twitter so I don't really have an opinion on whether they should or should not get rid of it. I just wanted to mention that the animation when you tap the heart is SUPER cool. I was tapping and untapping it repeatedly yesterday just to admire the detail and care that went into it. Haha.

Reactions: martyjmclean

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Removing the Likes won’t solve anything. It’s the bots, the blatant harassment etc that are the issue. Twitter needs to step of and ban folks that are just outright nasty for the sake of being nasty. But they won’t cause ‘free speech’.

And I actually tweeted that thought directly at twitter and Jack, not that I expect them to listen.
[doublepost=1540834825][/doublepost]

It’s also the only way that you can save a tweet if you are using a 3rd party app. Which many do cause the official twitter apps kind of suck. But Twitter won’t let them access the ‘bookmark’ feature they recently added

Reactions: Morris

jhulgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
AL
Finally! Someone understands the real problem with Twitter. It’s not bots, anonymity, thriving hate platforms or amplifying echo chambers. It’s not lack of attracting new users, sh*ting on 3rd party clients, or lack of creative solutions to revenue and monetization.
It’s the ❤. Remove that and Twitter will be swimming in smiles and cash.
Oooooh, fuzzy internet hugz.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Twitter is a literal trash platform. Amazing how they destroyed it
I won’t say all of twitter is trash but yes a lot of it is between the trolling, bots, ‘sponsored posts’ etc. same with Facebook and Instagram. Time for someone to start a new platform to kill all of those. One that doesn’t use ‘free speech’ as the excuse to do nothing about blatant nasty behavior etc

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I won’t say all of twitter is trash but yes a lot of it is between the trolling, bots, ‘sponsored posts’ etc. same with Facebook and Instagram. Time for someone to start a new platform to kill all of those. One that doesn’t use ‘free speech’ as the excuse to do nothing about blatant nasty behavior etc
The underlying "problem" inherent to humanity will still be present.

ruka.snow

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
It's about time the like and dislike fad on websites dies. Liking a post adds nothing of value.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
But they won’t cause ‘free speech’.
First amendment right of free speech pertains to the “government” not impinging on free speech.

No constitutional grounds exist preventing private business from exercising their right to ban, censor, remove or prevent anything said printed or broadcast.

All the would be constitutional lawyers on the web would be but hurt bad, however they are totally wrong regarding what twitter or other message boards can ban.

Twitter can remove anything they want to remove. The removed words can be voiced openly at the town square, but won’t have the following it had on web.

Reactions: Borin and ck2875

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Sounds like you haven't experienced that. I'm a long-standing member on a few fora... 18+ years on one of them.
You've been spending a lot of time in public squares in ancient Rome? Or did you mean the more popular plural of forum, forums, used to refer to things like online communities?

:p

edit: and of course by being grammar police I've stepped all over the healthy debate point you were validly making. whoops!

Reactions: sracer

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Although it shares some reaction space with the retweet button, I rather like the like button.

I think twitter needs to do the hard work calling out to it by focusing all resources on combatting bots and professional trolls rather than fiddle with cosmetic changes such as deleting the like button; which to me is a sign they have no idea how to handle these platform abusing accounts.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Sounds like you haven't experienced that. I'm a long-standing member on a few fora... 18+ years on one of them. There are plenty of places on the internet where considerate people congregate. We can talk about anything and everything without disrespecting and insulting other members. On those sites, I get along better with those members than with members of my extended family. View attachment 799236
15 years ago, I started a couple groups like that. We knew each other closer than I know any of my friends or family. I sold one site to deeper pockets to ensure its survival, and it collapsed due to regular outages within 3 months. :( The other started out nice, until a 20-something troll turned up, berated all other posters relentlessly, drove over half the membership out, then followed them across three other forums, until donating to the biggest group in our sport as a generous soul, before using his donor status to take it over and go right back to sh*tposting again, which continues to this day. Thousands of posts per week. It was unreal, no one could keep up with him. Turns out he was a Google employee with unlimited time and money, and one hell of a grudge against pretty much everyone and everything. I thought they worked those kids pretty hard over there, but what do I know. The regulars became a bit more cautious about making "internet friends" on a public forum, and we all scattered. Since then, I've learned to put my efforts into cultivating meaningful relationships with the real live people in real life, and minimize my regard for internet people. Internetland is a fun place to throw thoughts against a wall and watch them splatter, but that's about it. All this caring about how many likes and dislikes other people give them, like they're invested in some high school popularity contest and going to derive some sense of self worth from it, seems really pretty screwed up. I visited reddit once. It was nauseating.

Last edited:
Reactions: KGB7

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Funny thing is one of my favorite forums uses up votes and down votes. Conversations are much more civil and on topic. Rather than showing them separately. It is an overall tally. If someones comments hit an overall -5 they are automatically hidden. So, anyone spewing nonsensical rhetoric, &c. Get wiped away from view. But you have the option to expand and view the comment if so desired.

Just think of here. All the constant trolling, Apple bashing comments, what would Steve Jobs do or complaints about products which have nothing to do with an article would disappear. Like an iPhone rumor article then people complaining about the lack of updated Macs would be down voted into oblivion or Tim Cook doing something on his free time filled with complaints about lack of focus on the Mac. I like MacRumors but it gets very negative. Perhaps it is nostalgia but I remember it being much more civil and enthusiast filled ten to fifteen years ago.

Down votes might actually help with Twitter and Facebook civility. Then people might see that their vile comment which gets 100 likes actually gets 10,000 dislikes or their comments are hidden from the conversation unless someone chooses to expand it. At any rate it might encourage at least some to keep a civil tongue. Especially if friends, family, colleagues and those they admire down vote them.

Unfortunately, there is also the issue of what is being down voted. If some article about a horrible event is linked. Are people down voting your comment or the tragedy?
Up/down system for hiding comments only works until the Russian bots come calling.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Funny thing is one of my favorite forums uses up votes and down votes. Conversations are much more civil and on topic. Rather than showing them separately. It is an overall tally. If someones comments hit an overall -5 they are automatically hidden. So, anyone spewing nonsensical rhetoric, &c. Get wiped away from view. But you have the option to expand and view the comment if so desired.

Just think of here. All the constant trolling, Apple bashing comments, what would Steve Jobs do or complaints about products which have nothing to do with an article would disappear. Like an iPhone rumor article then people complaining about the lack of updated Macs would be down voted into oblivion or Tim Cook doing something on his free time filled with complaints about lack of focus on the Mac. I like MacRumors but it gets very negative. Perhaps it is nostalgia but I remember it being much more civil and enthusiast filled ten to fifteen years ago.

Down votes might actually help with Twitter and Facebook civility. Then people might see that their vile comment which gets 100 likes actually gets 10,000 dislikes or their comments are hidden from the conversation unless someone chooses to expand it. At any rate it might encourage at least some to keep a civil tongue. Especially if friends, family, colleagues and those they admire down vote them.

Unfortunately, there is also the issue of what is being down voted. If some article about a horrible event is linked. Are people down voting your comment or the tragedy?
Sounds a lot like Reddit. A platform I abandoned years ago. You get downvoted in to oblivion, just because the majority doesn’t like your opinion while being civil, on any topic.

I still remember the days when there was no likes or dislikes, no hearts or anything. And It worked just fine.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Lack of free speech is exactly why Twitter is garbage. They play favorites, promote agendas, and manipulate discourse.
[doublepost=1540841188][/doublepost]
Up/down system for hiding comments only works until the Russian bots come calling.
Is there anything that isn’t Russias fault at this point?