Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Comical, really. I personally don’t see an added value, but some people I guess really like Twitter?! Enjoy the ads.

I feel like if the general populous doesn't hold the line on paid subscriptions NOT getting rid of ads, we all lose in the long run.
On Twitter I can sometimes see local news as it's happening. It's great for finding out what caused a power outage or a traffic problem. That's its value for me and the local news sources I follow are pretty well established and don't really need a blue check as their authenticity is often established in local listings and ads.

The social aspect doesn't really draw me in. I interact with that maybe a few times a month.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
i don't even know who to rant against anymore. incompetent elon or out of control apple. doesn't app store rules forbid you from charging extra for the same service on the site?
YouTube premium does it as well, so I guess Apple does look the other way for certain companies.

Reactions: Shamgar

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Subscriptions fall to 15% after the first year. Is it really worth it once you factor in transaction costs? Since the majority of Twitter users use mobile, isn’t this just going to turn off people from subscribing in the first place?

Reactions: 5105973 and DarkSam

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Subscriptions fall to 15% after the first year. Is it really worth it once you factor in transaction costs? Since the majority of Twitter users use mobile, isn’t this just going to turn off people from subscribing in the first place?
You can still use the app, you just have to subscribe once outside the app.

Reactions: Shamgar

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Likely to convince more people to not go through apple. Twitter get's a larger cut if you decide to go through apple.

I'm not sure what the solution here is for Apple. In some situations it seems like apple should collect the revenue, on the flip side of it, some services seem like they really shouldn't be collecting anything significant. Maybe an alternative fee that is per download a percentage of the revenue each time? Kind of like a download fee.
Or they can just add an App Store policy saying that the same thing cannot be charged for more if it goes through IAP. I'm guessing they aren't doing that because of potential price fixing accusations.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
On Twitter I can sometimes see local news as it's happening. It's great for finding out what caused a power outage or a traffic problem. That's its value for me and the local news sources I follow are pretty well established and don't really need a blue check as their authenticity is often established in local listings and ads.

The social aspect doesn't really draw me in. I interact with that maybe a few times a month.
Good points! ✅✌️

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
People here in MacRumors acted like they never heard about online subscriptions. Many services already charge more on App Store and Google Play, yet people here don’t know as they only care about what Elon Musk said.

Reactions: klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.