Twitter

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by -tWv-, Jul 19, 2011.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Who here uses twitter and why? I'm thinking about getting one but don't see the point when I already have Facebook.. Thoughts?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Twitter is a broad conversation of quick thoughts, while Facebook is a more walled in garden of friends. If you want the best of both worlds try Google+.

3. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Google+ is 18 and over right now, I'm 17 so I can't use it at the moment.

4. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

For Tweets like:

"is eating toast"

*rolls eyes*

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

honestly I am kind of glad and wish it would stay that way. Facebook went down hill when that changed and it left is roots

bingo.
    Depending on how you use it can really change how good it is. I put up random thoughts on twitter at times, I have friends who talk on it all the time but it also can make a much better targeted RSS feed.
    For example I follow Androidcentral and it puts links to it relevant pages and keep me informed on what goes on there. Get updates on other sites on if something is messed up.
    Another one I follow is @theclasscomic
    It is a very different social networking. It not really in the same field as Facebook. Google+ competes much more with facebook than twitter.

It is just different. Just do not get caught up in the tweeting everything little thing you do.

6. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I do agree that it should be for college age kids and up, the middle school age kids on Facebook annoy me. I'm ok with waiting for it for a while, hopefully it'll be better and more refined by then anyways

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Congratulations to google! I think this is the first time an age retriction on a social networking site has ever worked in the history of the internet.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I use and like Twitter.
    Mainly to follow to [famous] people (bands, actors, etc), follow my friends, follow the news (CNN, AC360, AndersonCooper, etc). It all shows up in one convenient location. I like it.

There's a lot of neat stuff on there. There's even a page for the Big Ben Clock.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Twitter is much better for conversation. I feel like I get more out of twitter.

I go to Twitter and see a bunch of interesting tweets, I head to Facebook and see a bunch of crap I don't care about. Maybe that says something about my Facebook friends, maybe not.

Twitter FTW.

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

That's how I use it, I follow some of my favourite comedians, interesting celebrities. I tend to get news on twitter hours before it breaks on the regular news.
    For example, yesterday when Johnie Marbles custard pie'd Rupert Murdoch, within 3 minutes of the incident happening, twitter had provided me his name, twitter feed, ex girlfriend's twitter feed (she was horrified, seemingly, that she was connected at all with him), his youtube account, all sorts.
    Plus, all the news that the news channels don't want to report.
    Twitter is brilliant for this sort of thing. There are some brilliantly funny and some very clever and interesting people on there.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I like Twitter way more than Facebook (I'm honestly ready to ditch it entirely). I wish I had more time for Twitter on a daily basis because I love seeing what interesting thoughts people have. It's like a continuous conversation but with a fantastic character limit which does wonders to encourage creativity and ingenuity.

However, I have found that most people who enjoy Facebook for it's social aspects tend to dislike Twitter for that very reason. Twitter is not a virtual reunion like Facebook can be; it's more like an 18th Century cafe where you can listen in on a million interesting and unique ideas simultaneously.

12. bmacir macrumors 6502

These are exactly the reasons why I like twitter. It's a really interesting place to be.

13. DiLui007 macrumors newbie

DiLui007

I mostly have a twitter for the news. Instead of turning on the tv, I just check my twitter feed to see whats going on.

14. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I started using twitter pretty recently, and for me, it's all about following news and sciency/tech stuff - in short, topics that interest me. By contrast, facebook is all about staying in touch with friends. Pretty different purposes to me...

I'm still pretty uncertain if G+ will fill that niche - time will show. On the other hand, right now I'm pretty happy having things separate. I go on facebook to read about what my friends are up to. I go on twitter to read about stuff that goes on in the world. Having it all in one place would be overwhelming, I think (there's already huge amounts of info on twitter...), but that's my personal preference, and yours may vary.

15. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

+1 :)

16. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Depends on who you follow. I follow IT researchers & hackers, so whenever something interesting happens, I get to know about it right away.

I'd never follow any of my real-life friends. While I like them, they are still too boring to follow :)

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I've so far managed to steer clear of social networking. I have a Facebook account, but now only use it for messaging people when I don't have their number/email. So about once a month!

Facebook is full of people who add you because you went to the same school 10 years ago and don't care about in the slightest, and Twitter seems full of people summarising every moment of their boring lives.

(I'm in a happy mood today!)

18. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i use twitter @paulie_bennett
    i find it good for finding info out...Facebook is starting to grate on me!

i have Google+ but not many of my friends use it so...waiting for them to jump the bandwagon

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both. I just started using Twitter. So far it isn't to bad.... However there are some that I have quickly dropped that tweet way to freaking much. 60 tweets in 20 minutes. Ugh. LOL. Almost as bad as some of my facebook friends.

20. skittles90623 macrumors regular

Twitter is quicker. Plus everything's under 140 characters, which means I can just scroll through headlines and click through the links if I'm interested. I suggest creating two accounts, 1 to follow your friends, 1 to follow people/organizations you're interested in. Some people tweet waayyyy to much, and there's no option to hide them.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There actually is.

You could block them.

Or you could Lock your account, and have a select list of Followers and Following.

That's what I prefer.

22. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google search terms of use state that you must be 18 years old to search the web.

23. skittles90623 macrumors regular

The thing is, for my friends, I can't just block them without them knowing, right? I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. For example, in Facebook, you can just hide people from your newsfeed. I don't think Twitter has that same option. You can always unfriend somebody on Facebook, but it'll hurt some feelings.

It's just that some people I sorta know who added me tweet way too much.

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can put the people you actually want to follow in a list and read only that list instead of your main timeline.

25. skittles90623 macrumors regular

Ahh, awesome! Thank you.