Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ebs757

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2019
I’m surprised these articles are still using the first iteration of sensors on the apple Lexus from 2-3 years ago. They look much cleaner and certainly less distracting now and have so for awhile. Driving all over the Bay Area sometimes I have seen 3 in one day.

Reactions: TheBestAccount

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
And they were in manual mode too, human error
What do you not understand about that both Apple vehicles were STOPPED in traffic. Human error? Yeah, but not the Apple drivers. The Subarau and Hyundai drivers were at fault.
Yeah, I though the self driving cars hit each other, but it’s just other cars rear ended them. Simply a non news.
But the headline did its job. It tricked YOU into believing the Apple cars hit each other.

Reactions: TheBestAccount

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Teslas evade accidents when fully stopped and in manual drive? That's impressive!
Active Safety is always on, even when in manual mode.

I'm not sure whether they'll automatically move if the car is at a stop... they have "hold assist" which means having your foot on the brake while stopped isn't necessary, so it wouldn't necessarily mean overriding human input. I could imagine the car maybe releasing the brake when in hold assist if the car determines collision is inevitable, in an effort to minimize damage.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Two separate incidents where the Apple car was stopped in traffic. And hit by another car.

I once had a car parked in front of my house. And hit by another car sometime during the night. News at 11.

• Haha
Reactions: ian87w

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
Geez the clickbait.

Your title suggest the vehicle’s operators we’re at fault an accident in manual mode. You could have just stated they were rear ended. Or not even made this an article.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
A human-driven vehicle was rear ended by someone else? Seriously?? For the love of all that is holy, MacRumors, this is a new low even for you.

Reactions: SFjohn

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
In other news, water is wet.

The person driving the vehicle that hit the Apple car was probably too busy looking at the sensors on top. Or was distracted by looking at their phone, changing the radio station, reading a newspaper, putting on make-up, etc.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
well, when in autopilot, they love running into stopped emergency vehicles, so…

Ya, before anyone jumps the gun. remember self-driving cars still can't distinguish certain signs, even when plastard over..

Humans by, default, know what a stop sign looks like, even it's partially covered up. We know what the color red is

These "issues" have to be developed into self driving cars..... which is why till that day comes, its just hype. It's bbasically a beta version... Why would everyone use beta software at the same time ?

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I have neither hit, nor been hit by, another car in much longer than 2 years.

Therefore I am safer when driving myself than i would be in or near an apple car.

iNConVenIEnt tRUtH!

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
I hope apple tanks stocks tomorrow for this article. Lol. I dont even care if it was a human error. need it to drop so I can buy in.

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Alternative headline: two vehicles owned by Apple were struck while stopped.

aka this is nothing but a clickbait headline.
IF there was going to be a headline this should have been it. However I can’t imagine how many vehicles that are owned by a publicly traded are rear ended yet we never hear anything about it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
You can't always take one sided report at full face value. I'd like to hear from the other party and know who paid for the repair to the non-Apple party's vehicle. Since company PR is at stake it could be secret policy to falsify report, deny fault and put the blame on human driver vs autonomous system then pay hush money to the other party. Usual human driver behavior in this scenario is to honk the horn to alert other driver and perform collision avoidance since there's plenty of time in a slow moving parking lot scenario.

Yeah…ok.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
You can't always take one sided report at full face value. I'd like to hear from the other party and know who paid for the repair to the non-Apple party's vehicle. Since company PR is at stake it could be secret policy to falsify report, deny fault and put the blame on human driver vs autonomous system then pay hush money to the other party. Usual human driver behavior in this scenario is to honk the horn to alert other driver and perform collision avoidance since there's plenty of time in a slow moving parking lot scenario.
Honking rarely works, I was stopped at a light saw an oncoming car behind me, I started honking like hell, eased off the break a little as there wasn’t a lot of room with the car in front of me, and that driver plowed into my car. The driver of that other car claimed they didn’t hear or see me. Which is why automated cars are a good idea.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I am most curious as to how these will be distributed. Will they open Apple dealerships? Delivery? Delivered to a store and picked up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.