Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atineoSE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
So I got a MBP with M1 and 16 GB unified memory and 1 TB SSD. After a few days the camera stopped working. I called support and followed some resetting procedures, including HW booting sequences, etc, it didn't work. I gauged my options and I opted for a replacement, which I was entitled to, since I had had it for less than 14 days. They said they would send me a replacement and I got to keep it while waiting (this was during the Christmas period and it took about one month to arrive).

During the time I was still using the mac after reporting the problem, it started to become very hot to the touch, which I believe shouldn't happen to macs with M1. The battery also started draining much faster than at the beginning (I could have it all day fully operational and end up with 20% battery at the beginning, then it was going all in about one morning). Eventually, the mac shut down and it wouldn't turn on again!

I thought I had been unlucky to get a device with some manufacturing defect and I was actually glad that the problem had surfaced while I was still able to replace it and not later.

So I got the replacement, could restore it from the Time Machine backup and all was fine... but one week into using it, it just shut down with no warning and it won't start again! Totally dead. When I try to boot it, there is a clicking noise inside. I called Apple again and this time I asked for a refund.

I am really shocked that 2 macs had to be so badly defective to the point of not booting up at all and I don't dare risk ordering a new replacement of this particular model. I assume it has to do with some manufacturing problem for the specific setup of 16 GB memory and 1 TB SSD, what else could it be?

I really need a new Mac now so I was hoping to get some feedback from configurations which are working successfully and go with one of those, I'd even take a macBook Air, since performance since to be great anyways.

Have any of you got a M1 mac for more than a couple of weeks and have you had any problems at all?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
That's really unlucky.
I can't see the spec having anything to do with the failures tbh.
Can I ask if you used a hub or a dock with the machines and if so what type?

Reactions: AAPLGeek

atineoSE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Reactions: Quackers

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
So I got a MBP with M1 and 16 GB unified memory and 1 TB SSD. After a few days the camera stopped working. I called support and followed some resetting procedures, including HW booting sequences, etc, it didn't work. I gauged my options and I opted for a replacement, which I was entitled to, since I had had it for less than 14 days. They said they would send me a replacement and I got to keep it while waiting (this was during the Christmas period and it took about one month to arrive).

During the time I was still using the mac after reporting the problem, it started to become very hot to the touch, which I believe shouldn't happen to macs with M1. The battery also started draining much faster than at the beginning (I could have it all day fully operational and end up with 20% battery at the beginning, then it was going all in about one morning). Eventually, the mac shut down and it wouldn't turn on again!

I thought I had been unlucky to get a device with some manufacturing defect and I was actually glad that the problem had surfaced while I was still able to replace it and not later.

So I got the replacement, could restore it from the Time Machine backup and all was fine... but one week into using it, it just shut down with no warning and it won't start again! Totally dead. When I try to boot it, there is a clicking noise inside. I called Apple again and this time I asked for a refund.

I am really shocked that 2 macs had to be so badly defective to the point of not booting up at all and I don't dare risk ordering a new replacement of this particular model. I assume it has to do with some manufacturing problem for the specific setup of 16 GB memory and 1 TB SSD, what else could it be?

I really need a new Mac now so I was hoping to get some feedback from configurations which are working successfully and go with one of those, I'd even take a macBook Air, since performance since to be great anyways.

Have any of you got a M1 mac for more than a couple of weeks and have you had any problems at all?
I have that same configuration and am not experiencing any problems. I think its 100% bad luck, sorry!

Reactions: jdb8167

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Yes, I've been using this hub:
Thanks.
These total failures do seem to often occur (though not always) when a hub or dock of some kind is used.
Having said that it doesn't seem unreasonable for users to have something like that in use when the laptops only come with 2 ports. Some expansion is foreseeably likely to be needed at some time.
The only thing I can think of is that they can supply/or draw too much power for the port. But that seems to be Apple's problem to solve - if indeed it is a problem.

atineoSE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks.
These total failures do seem to often occur (though not always) when a hub or dock of some kind is used.
Having said that it doesn't seem unreasonable for users to have something like that in use when the laptops only come with 2 ports. Some expansion is foreseeably likely to be needed at some time.
The only thing I can think of is that they can supply/or draw too much power for the port. But that seems to be Apple's problem to solve - if indeed it is a problem.
Ok, that would then suggest that the problem is caused not by the manufacturing of this model with these specs but by using an incompatible hub... you say they "often occur"... how many cases have there been and was it always with the macbook pros or with the airs as well? It seems pretty extreme that the computer would completely die by using a less-than-fit hub and that feels then like playing russian roulette with every peripheral connected, at some point the mac has to connect to other peripherals.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Ok, that would then suggest that the problem is caused not by the manufacturing of this model with these specs but by using an incompatible hub... you say they "often occur"... how many cases have there been and was it always with the macbook pros or with the airs as well? It seems pretty extreme that the computer would completely die by using a less-than-fit hub and that feels then like playing russian roulette with every peripheral connected, at some point the mac has to connect to other peripherals.
If memory serves I believe there have been 4 on here so far.
Some of those reportedly blew the logic board.
The cause is unknown currently though.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA

I’ve had my M1 air for more than a month now with no issues. That’s odd that you got two bad ones.

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015

Third time's the charm.

Did you by any chance connect a dongle or any other external device to your MBP while it slept? Some dongles have killed/bricked M1 Macs this way. (Edit: I see that you have been using a dongle).

Last edited:
Reactions: baummer

atineoSE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Third time's the charm.

Did you by any chance connect a dongle or any other external device to your MBP while it slept? Some dongles have killed/bricked M1 Macs this way. (Edit: I see that you have been using a dongle).
Do you have some information about what dongles and what macs are affected exactly? Is it just the pros or also the Airs? This is really disheartening!

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I use a dongle with my 16", it even has power delivery and its been fine. Used the dongle for about 2 months now.
I would advice against buying off-brand dongles from amazon.

But in your case I really do think it was bad luck.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
If I remember correctly, a lot of the problems have been with off brand hubs.

I would go ahead and get another M1. This time, try a Satechi hub.
I have a satechi hub and it works fine, but I think the OP had bad luck. i’ve read a few threads from members that have different hubs and they work fine, but others with some off brand Hubs do not. Perhaps when Big Sur OS has some more updates then many of the other peripherals will work

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a satechi hub and it works fine, but I think the OP had bad luck. i’ve read a few threads from members that have different hubs and they work fine, but others with some off brand Hubs do not. Perhaps when Big Sur OS has some more updates then many of the other peripherals will work
Hopefully so. I can certainly understand why some new and prospective M1 owner might be a little nervous with using some peripherals.

Reactions: Quackers

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Do you have some information about what dongles and what macs are affected exactly? Is it just the pros or also the Airs? This is really disheartening!

I have only read about dongles bricking/killing M1 MacBooks here on this forum. Seems like both Pro & Air are effected. I haven't had any experience with this as I have been cautiously avoiding connecting "USB-3 to USB-C" dongles to my MacBook. I did so because I was and still am illogically paranoid & not out of the honeymoon period with my MacBook. But based on what users who have experienced bricking have said following are important to keep in mind:

1. Avoid third-party dongles
or
2. Avoid leaving dongles connected to your Macs while they sleep. It seems that bricking takes place when Mac goes to sleep whilst connected to dongles.

I am not technical expert, just a lay user, so I can't say what's going on here. Perhaps it has something to do with the M1 Macs' structure or power setup. Some user, however, have found a way around to bringing M1 Macs back to life by kick starting through another Mac. You should be able to find the details on this forum or even on Google.

stevenaaus

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
It's obviously a serious problem. Modern macbooks basically *need* some sort of dongle/hub, but having them (for whatever reason) brick the computer ...:mad::rolleyes::apple:

Reactions: Wizec
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.