Two iMacs vs iMac & Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lastmboy, May 22, 2012.

1. Lastmboy macrumors regular

Here's an unusual one for you. Likely a dumb idea, but I'm curious.

I want to get a 27" iMac, but I want dual display, even though they're 27" (yes, I'm greedy). The problem with using the Thunderbolt display along with the iMac, is that they don't look the same and aren't the same height. That's not the end of the world, as you can sit it on a stand or whatever.

However, here's an idea that crossed my brain. I can get an older refurbished 27" iMac for around $100 - $200 more than a new Thunderbolt display. What do you think of linking two iMacs together? I watched a Youtube video (below) where a guy was using a second iMac, and he could use it as a standalone or as a secondary (extended) display for the first iMac.

How to Connect Two 27" iMacs for a Dual Display Setup! - YouTube

I was curious about this, because the height problem would go away, and I could potentially use the second one as a bootcamp machine or whatever, leaving the primary one free from "tampering".

Here were my initial thoughts:

PROS:
    second display that looks identical to primary
    could be used for bootcamp without having to screw with primary
    could be used as an independent workstation (multi tasking)
    could be used for integrated processing (e.g. video editing)
    additional hard drive space
    spare keyboard and mouse
    minimal extra cost (not much more than new display)

CONS:
    more things to go wrong (whole iMac vs just a monitor)
    wasted processor if you just use it as a secondary display
    need adapter/mini display port connector
    can you hook a thunderbolt iMac to one without thunderbolt?
    do you lose all benefit by not connecting them via thunderbolt?

I'm not sure about the whole thunderbolt situation. In the video, I'm assuming he's using two older (mini display port) iMacs. I'm not sure of the issues if you try to mix them. Would there be any added benefit/features/capabilities by connecting two thunderbolt iMacs? That's not quite as feasible, as they cost a lot more, and not many refurb ones, but I'm still curious.

Anyone have any theories or even want to just comment on how stupid this sounds?

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Sounds like a good idea - I also would be annoyed that they do not match.

3. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

That's a brilliant idea! For roughly the same price, you get two computers, and they'll look better together. I've always thought that the thunderbolt displays are a waste of money...

If you ever get bored of the setup, you can always move one of the iMacs to a different room as well. If you have the money, do it!

4. Fynd macrumors 6502

This would be a great idea, and I've considered it before myself. The second "dummy" iMac could be used as a great file server, media server, whatever.

5. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

What do you plan to do with this set up? If it's nothing too intensive on the cpu then just pick up a couple of 2010 models and ignore Thunderbolt.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'd do this if I needed two displays. I think the Thunderbolt Displays are a total waste of money anyway. Why pay $1000 for a monitor when for a couple hundred more you could get a whole other computer. I'd run Windows on it and use it as a file/media server. Put a SSD in the primary machine to run the OS and such and keep your files on the other. And I too would be bothered that they didn't match if you got the Thunderbolt Display.

7. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Great idea! You might even manage to cluster them to form an even more powerful computer :)

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I remember reading that apple made the 2011 models not be able to accept video from another device. Not sure if this excludes another iMac but keep that in mind.

I know you can hook up a game console to the 2010 iMac. But you can't with the 2011.

9. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I was wondering about that, too. That would be pretty slick.

10. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

An actual cluster is probably not going to be effective for most apps. 3d and video rendering, however, can take advantage of that second computer pretty easily.

11. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

I use it primarily for programming and website design, so I don't need crazy performance. This option would work, too.

12. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I would do it. The extra computer would probably be nice to have, even if it's just for storage or such. Also I'm sure it will retain a better resale value. And last but not least, you will have spare parts / spare computer if anything was to ever happen.

13. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

maybe consider your electric bill if you're powering yet another computer and only using it for the display, other than that sounds good to me...

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

2011 iMacs accept input ONLY from thunderbolt devices (in other words, only 2011 Macs)

15. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if two thunderbolt iMacs will work together? i.e. an iMac will accept video input from another thunderbolt iMac?

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, that will work.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4469

So you can use it like this

A - 2011 iMac
    B - 2nd 2011 iMac
    C - pre 2011 iMac with Displayport

C can be used as a display for A with a mini display port cable
    A cannot be used as a display for C

A can be used as a display for B with a Thunderbolt cable
    B can be used as a display for A with a Thunderbolt cable

I hope that makes sense.

17. AlfaLavala, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

AlfaLavala macrumors regular

This is interesting...

Can you use target mode whilst booted into Windows on the "2nd display" iMac?

edit: also could you use one thunderbolt cable but switch which imac is acting as target?

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#17

19. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

20. technopimp macrumors 6502a

21. newagemac macrumors 68020

I thought about doing something like this before but my question is can the second iMac be turned on and used as a server while simultaneously being used as a display for the other computer?

22. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent!! Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks so much.

This should be obvious, but nowhere in the article did it mention use of the second iMac as an "extended" display. I'm kind of assuming this, as it would be somewhat useless to connect an iMac to an iMac, otherwise. It just kind of concerns me that it talks about getting the same sound and video as the primary, making it sound like it's a duplicate display. Is my assumption that you could use it to extend the desktop of the primary (not mirror it) correct?

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can mirror or extend your desktop, just like you would if you were connecting to another "normal" monitor.

24. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

OK. Thanks. Like I said, I assumed that, but sometimes assumptions can get you in trouble.

So is there any great disadvantage to using a 2nd iMac instead of a thunderbolt display?

25. astrorider macrumors 6502

I'd like to know this too.