Two Questions on the AT&T iPhone Trade-in

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
OK so I have an iPhone 4 that I want to get a quick $200 for from AT&T.

The problem, however, is that none of the stores in my area have the 6 I'm looking for. Or frankly any 64gb 6 at all really.

So is it possible to trade-in my 4 at AT&T and buy the new phone at the Apple store?

And my second question, is the $40 upgrade / activation fee payable when you buy the phone or does it appear on your next monthly bill?

Thanks for reading.

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007

The problem, however, is that none of the stores in my area have the 6 I'm looking for. Or frankly any 64gb 6 at all really.

So is it possible to trade-in my 4 at AT&T and buy the new phone at the Apple store?

And my second question, is the $40 upgrade / activation fee payable when you buy the phone or does it appear on your next monthly bill?

Thanks for reading.
they just give you a $200 AT&T gift card.

appears on next bill.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

Thanks for reading.
I have heard that ATT will send you Visa Pre Paid cards. Those can be used anywhere, but I am not sure how long you will have to wait for them.

EDIT: I am incorrect on the Visa cards, sorry.

The upgrade fee is on the next bill.

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
I have heard that ATT will send you Visa Pre Paid cards. Those can be used anywhere, but I am not sure how long you will have to wait for them.

The upgrade fee is on the next bill.
would like to know who got a pre-paid visa. I just did it yesterday and there wasn't even an option besides an AT&T gift card.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
would like to know who got a pre-paid visa. I just did it yesterday and there wasn't even an option besides an AT&T gift card.
I am most likely wrong. I read that some where before the launch of the 6, it must have just been speculation. Editing my first post. :)

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Wow thanks for all the quick replies.

So basically you don't have to buy any new phone to get the $200 trade-in?

Just walk in with my phone, walk out with a AT&T gift card?

FzNk

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012

No, you have to buy a new phone as part of the deal. As I understand it, you order the phone then you get an email with instructions for the trade-in. Maybe that can all be done at once if you go to an AT&T store, I'm not sure.

To confirm, the $200/$300 is on a AT&T card which can only be used on AT&T products and services (including your cell bill).

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
No, you have to buy a new phone as part of the deal. As I understand it, you order the phone then you get an email with instructions for the trade-in. Maybe that can all be done at once if you go to an AT&T store, I'm not sure.

To confirm, the $200/$300 is on a AT&T card which can only be used on AT&T products and services (including your cell bill).
Now that makes more sense. So I really cannot do the trade-in and get the phone at the Apple store.

From reading other threads I can get $200 instantly at the store off, but none of the stores anywhere near me have any in stock.

So I guess I'll have to decide if I want to do it online and wait to get the both the phone and the card, or get the phone now at Apple Store and see what I can get selling the phone on eBay or one of the other services.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Can you choose to use the gift card for your Bill? Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I have no real use for $200 at AT&T store.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
You can trade your phone in at the Apple store, but it will likely be lower for a 4. I was offered $205 for a 32gb iPhone 5.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
You can trade your phone in at the Apple store, but it will likely be lower for a 4. I was offered $205 for a 32gb iPhone 5.
Thats a no go for me. They only offered $60 for my 4. Thats why the AT&T $200 looks so very appealing.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Thats a no go for me. They only offered $60 for my 4. Thats why the AT&T $200 looks so very appealing.
Makes sense. If you really want to buy the 6 at an Apple Store I would sell the 4 elsewhere. I am not sure that you will get $200 anywhere else, but getting more than $60 should be pretty easy.

ASakai

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Planet Earth

Thanks for reading.
I asked reps at two different AT&T stores about the trade in deal if I happen to find my iPhone 6 model I want at an Apple Store before they get more stock. Both reps said I could still walk in with my old 4S and get a $200 ATT gift card even if I find my new iPhone elsewhere.

Remember the deal ends 9/30. My plan is if I don't find my new iPhone 6 by the 29th, I plan to order it from ATT.com because as long as you order by the 30th, you lock in the $200 trade offer (or $300 if it's a 5s model) even if your order arrives later on.

Devlonc

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Don't have to buy new phone

You don't have to buy a new iphone thru At&t to get the "trade in". I think trade in is where people are getting confused. It's more like a guaranteed buyback. They are giving $300 for any 5s and $200 for iph4-5. It's an At&t gift card to be used at the AT&T store or At&t online. A friend didn't order a new ip6 but took his two ip4's in and walked out with $400 in Att gift cards. I ordered my phone from Apple and took my ip4 in and got a $200 card which i used to buy a new screen cover then applied the remaining $185 to my att account which covered this months bill plus my account shows a -$95 balance. It's pretty simple really and a great deal if you have older iphones laying around.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Makes sense. If you really want to buy the 6 at an Apple Store I would sell the 4 elsewhere. I am not sure that you will get $200 anywhere else, but getting more than $60 should be pretty easy.
Looking quick on ebay a white 32gb 4 like mine will get about $125 or so.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
I was able to trade in an old iPhone 4 on the Wednesday before the iPhone 6 launch and walk out with the $200 AT&T gift card (which by the way IS processed as a Visa and might have had a Visa logo on it, but is only good at AT&T). I then traded in my 5S on Friday for a $300 gift card, and used both gift cards towards my iPhone 6. When I did the 4 trade-in, the guy did mention something about being unsure if he could do it without me buying something in-store that day, but it didn't end up being an issue. I'm sure if you went in with the iPhone 4 and said you plan on ordering the new phone online or at Apple if you can find it in stock, they wouldn't give you a major issue. You could then apply the gift card towards your next bill or two if you end up getting the phone at Apple.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I was able to trade in an old iPhone 4 on the Wednesday before the iPhone 6 launch and walk out with the $200 AT&T gift card (which by the way IS processed as a Visa and might have had a Visa logo on it, but is only good at AT&T).
Any idea if the cards can be used towards a future bill? Or do they have to be used on product?

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal
I was able to trade in an old iPhone 4 on the Wednesday before the iPhone 6 launch and walk out with the $200 AT&T gift card (which by the way IS processed as a Visa and might have had a Visa logo on it, but is only good at AT&T). I then traded in my 5S on Friday for a $300 gift card, and used both gift cards towards my iPhone 6. When I did the 4 trade-in, the guy did mention something about being unsure if he could do it without me buying something in-store that day, but it didn't end up being an issue. I'm sure if you went in with the iPhone 4 and said you plan on ordering the new phone online or at Apple if you can find it in stock, they wouldn't give you a major issue. You could then apply the gift card towards your next bill or two if you end up getting the phone at Apple.
I was also able to trade in my old backup iPhone 4 on September 18th, and received a $200 AT&T Promotion Card. Since I wasn't eligible for a regular upgrade, I applied the Promotion Card to my wireless account. Note that these promotion cards are only good for 3 months...

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007

no, no phone needs to be purchased. i already had my iphone 6 from apple. he just checked the phone, did some paperwork and gave me the gift card. i was not required to purchase anything.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Not needing to purchase a phone to get the trade-in seems like a good way to go if AT&T doesn't get any more stock of phones to do a swap right there.

Great responses thanks

FzNk

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
no, no phone needs to be purchased. i already had my iphone 6 from apple. he just checked the phone, did some paperwork and gave me the gift card. i was not required to purchase anything.
Interesting, that goes against what the trade-in website says:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html said:
Trade-in Offer: Ends September 30, 2014. Select locations only. Requires eligible trade-in and purchase of new smartphone on AT&T NextSM, 2-year wireless agreement, or at regular price with no annual contract and qualified service activation.
Maybe they gave it to you because you had renewed your contract?

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
When I traded my phones in (after pre-ordering and purchasing two iPhone 6s from AT&T), I was told that I had to purchase something in the store for him to initiate the trade. That could be ANOTHER $20 lightning cable or some gawdy $30 case or even a $10 stylus that I couldn't use.

I had to make a stink with a manager before they would even consider my $1500 iPhone pre-order (made through them) eligible for the trade.

YMMV, but he showed me the terms on his iPad that made him feel special.

Once the transaction was completed, I marched over to the payment kiosk and added the $500 (5S and 5) to my account and tossed the cards.

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
I asked about specific clause on AT&T chat and was told you don't need to purchase a phone at the time of trade-in, nor is it required. Many others have stated the same in various threads.

I used this link: https://attbb.tradein-program.com/manufacturer

Filled out, brought into store, gave him the iPhone 4, walked out with a gift card.

Do it at a corporate store, not an authorized retailer. Authorized retailers WILL make you buy some sort of accessory.

And no, I did not renew my contract. They didn't even check my account.

FzNk

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Ah, I see. That appears to be a different offer than what they've been advertising as the quotes I get are good past the end of the other offer.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
For those that have done this, does the phone need to be in good physical condition? I assume so, otherwise they would be giving money out for trash but it wouldn't hurt to get rid of some of my stock of broken phones. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.