Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing to face scrutiny over the power management features it introduced in older iPhones last year, with the U.S Department of Justice and the U.S Securities and Exchange Commission launching an investigation into the company, reports Bloomberg.

The DoJ and the SEC are aiming to determine whether Apple violated security laws "concerning its disclosures" when it launched an iOS 10.2.1 update that throttled some older iPhones with degraded batteries in order to prevent unexpected device shutdowns.

iphone-6s-battery.jpg

According to Bloomberg's sources, the government recently requested information from Apple and the investigation is in the early stages.

Apple in iOS 10.2.1 introduced a new power management feature to address complaints of unexpected shutdowns in iPhone 6 and 6s iPhones. The shutdowns were caused by batteries below optimal health drawing too much power.

At the time, Apple did not make it clear that to solve the issue, it was throttling the iPhone's processor at times of peak usage to limit power draw, and that lack of information has led to the company's current predicament.

The full details behind the power management feature implemented in iOS 10.2.1 were not explained until benchmark testing revealed older iPhones with degraded batteries were being deliberately slowed down, and without an adequate explanation from Apple, customers were outraged and dozens of lawsuits were filed.

Apple has since apologized and made reparations in the form of a new no-questions-asked discounted battery replacement program available to customers who have an iPhone 6 and newer, and the company is planning to introduce much more detailed battery information in an upcoming iOS 11.3 update. iOS 11.3 will let customers know when their iPhones are being throttled due to battery degradation, and it will also allow them to opt out of the power management features.

Despite these efforts, Apple is still facing the aforementioned lawsuits and in addition to the U.S. investigation, the company will need to deal with inquiries in other countries including China, Italy, South Korea, France, Brazil, and more.

Update: Apple has confirmed to Bloomberg that it is responding to questions from some government agencies.

Article Link: U.S. Government Investigating Apple's Power Management Features That Slow Older iPhones

Reactions: Avieshek

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
This has gotten beyond absurd.

Apple can do whatever they want with managing CPU and battery performance on any device at any time. It is beyond insane to suggest that anyone outside of Apple has any right to any particular level of CPU performance at any given time.

Tim Cook has embarrassed Apple by admitting wrong where none existed and has opened the company to undue scrutiny.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
To make matters worse, I was at Apple the other day getting my iPhone X screen fixed (they made me come back to the store 3 times and ended up just replacing it instead). Anyhow, this other guy was there to get a battery replaced for $29 on his 6+, they told him they could order the battery now but the repair likely won't be done til late March or April. Needless to say he was super pissed off. As a third party repair shop owner, Apple's piss poor customer service put a huge smile on my face. I have plenty of 6+ batteries in stock. :D

Just keep on sending all those pissed off customers straight into my loving arms, Apple.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
"Alpha" type of company don't apologize. They correct their mistake asap. "Beta" companies apologize over and over and never learn anything.

Reactions: IG88

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Investigate all you want, you’re not going to find anything.

All Apple did wrong was not notify people. That’s being corrected in a future update, you can toggle it if you want, and Apple is giving $29 battery replacements. It’s a non-issue that many people are hoping and praying turns into a major problem for Apple. They’re going to be so disappointed.

loveios

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Norfolk, NE
To make matters worse, I was at Apple the other day getting my iPhone X screen fixed (they made me come back to the store 3 times and ended up just replacing it instead). Anyhow, this other guy was there to get a battery replaced for $29 on his 6+, they told him they could order the battery now but the repair likely won't be done til late March or April. Needless to say he was super pissed off. As a third party repair shop owner, Apple's piss poor customer service put a huge smile on my face. I have plenty of 6+ batteries in stock. :D

Just keep on sending all those pissed off customers straight into my loving arms, Apple.

Because Apple run out these batteries.

Apple Delays iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacements Until March-April Due to Limited Supply

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/11/iphone-6-plus-battery-replacements-delay/

Relikk

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
California
And so it goes. We still hate the PC culture going back to the famous 1980 Super Bowl commercial depicting little David (Apple) going up against Goliath (Microsoft et al)--but we still have a love-hate with Apple now that it has grown into the behemoth that it is. I have long-since shed the belief that Apple is my 'friend'. They make great products and hire some great folks--but at the core--there is great pressure to sell more. Sometimes that pressure and power corrupts, as we well know.

That said--Apple innovation, products and support are still the best on the planet.

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
There should be an investigation regarding manipulation to the public for unnecessary upgrades. For example, I want to make a back up of my iPhone X, but my mac is asking me to upgrade the entire OS just to do that, why? I have Sierra and works great, I do not need to upgrade my system for something as trivial as a back up. It will affect the performance of my computer to worst installing crap I do not need and affecting other softwares.

The same with my iPhone 5. Yahoo needed for me to install new OS and other applications too, why? what processing I need to read a text message?

So all that is pushing you to upgrade to things you do not need. Then Apple comes and tell their share holders "everybody is running the new OS", but is not because people need it or loves it, is because Apple is making me, almost like black mailing me.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I can see it now. A Senate committee formed..everyone gets lab coats and lithium ion batteries and spend years testing what causes batteries to lose voltage over time and charge cycles.

Or...just read all of the literature out there about battery lifespans and decide if Apple should let iPhones die earlier or slow down to extend the battery life.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
All Apple did wrong was not notify people. That’s being corrected in a future update, you can toggle it if you want, and Apple is giving $29 battery replacements. It’s a non-issue that many people are hoping and praying turns into a major problem for Apple. They’re going to be so disappointed.

If their only mistake was not notifying people, then why would they add the option to turn off this "feature"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.