Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Despite the negativity over the auto downloads, U2's partnership with Apple appears to have been wildly successful, with "Songs of Innocence" seeing 26 million unintentional downloads by iTunes users. Additionally, more than 81 million users are said to have "unintentionally experienced" the album, via iTunes.

Fixed! :)

Just because users "experienced" the album, doesn't mean they wanted to...

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I think the whole promotion was brilliant. For better know bands, this could be the start of a new way to release albums. Get a company like Apple or Amazon to pay a band several million, then give the album away for a limited time to all users. I hope others give it a try.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I think the biggest issue isn't that it auto-downloaded, although that is unacceptable, but just how bad the album is considering they spent five years working on it. Inarguably U2s worst album to-date. Do something interesting. Musically they are mega boring now. An acoustic album? Who knows. Certainly a change anyway. These songs lack creativity. Leonard Cohen at 80 is releasing some of the most interesting albums of his life. As is Joni Mitchell in her elder years. As did Johnny Cash. Come on, U2, excite us. Joni Mitchell has said the reason she never has creative blocks is she paints when she's not songwriting. And Johnny and Leonard also paint/ed when not writing songs. Bono's philanthropy and AIDS work are surely noble, but seemingly aren't conducive to being creative musically.

Last edited:

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this wasn't "auto-downloaded". It was simply made available in our libraries as if we had bought it. The content itself wasn't physically loaded onto our devices until we clicked (tapped) the download button. I don't get why folks were all bent out of shape over this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a U2 fan. I took the steps to have it removed, just as a lot of you did, I bet.

As a one time thing, sure, maybe not worth getting that upset over. But what if they decided to more and more? It just becomes a hassle.

I don't think getting 'bent out of shape' is the correct response. But it is mildly irritating. And one of the reasons people have gravitated toward Apple is their anti-bloat stance. This is forcing straight up advertising down your throat because you own a product of theirs. It generally isn't like them, and overall pretty shady.

And then it goes into personal issues. If this was a gangster rap album it would be absurd that they did it, right? But just because it is U2, it is ok? Because they are not 'offensive'? But they are indeed offensive to some. Especially Bono.

And the list goes on...

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a U2 fan.

Don't get me wrong, 35 years ago I was a HUGE U2 fan. I gave up a job, bought a van, made it into a camper and hiked to another country with five friends to see 1 hour, 55 minutes of U2.

I have a large collection of vinyl, tapes, regular releases and bootlegs and homemade illegal recordings. Also included: t-shirts, other clothing, some strange U2-related nicknacks.

It's all leaving in a few days, when the payment from some fool comes through.

prometheus6

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
We apologies for doing something nice and making the album available to everyone for no charge. - What a joke, you whingers should all be ashamed. If you don't want to listen to it, don't. It's available for you to listen to. Not forced on you. I weep for humantity

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
What would have been wrong with just TELLING people the album is a free iTunes download? I don't do automatic anything for this very reason.

Colinwoods84

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Not satisfied. I want to punch that no talent ass clown right in the throat for poisoning my iTunes. U2 sucks! It really pissed me off only because of my hatred for Bono.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
First World Problem

This is one of the silliest examples of a "First World Problem" I've ever seen. People whining about being given free music. Just delete it.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Congratulations, America. You've forced an apology from someone who gave you something for FREE.

So if Apple decided you needed the newest Insane Clown Posse album on your iPhone without your consent, that wouldn't bother you?

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah you got carried away. You worked hard on your new album for the last couple years, that's great.

You shoved it down a lot of peoples throats without their approval, that sucks.

U2 > Deepthroat...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
We apologies for doing something nice and making the album available to everyone for no charge. - What a joke, you whingers should all be ashamed. If you don't want to listen to it, don't. It's available for you to listen to. Not forced on you. I weep for humantity

Apple paid them dumdum. Additionally people don't want this in THEIR device. It was completely forced.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

Actually, for those who have automatic downloads turned on, it was forced upon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.