Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
I think some of you guys are missing the point. In the age of Snowden, the NSA, privacy violations everywhere.. people are very sensitive about their freedoms.

The move to auto download the music upset so many people not because they didn't want the album, but because it was placed on their personal, private devices without their permission. The iPhone has become very important to many people because it's a major way that we communicate and interact with our world and with each other. It's with us all the time and to do things on it without our permission feels like a violation. If you make us feel like our phones aren't in our control but instead can be forced to perform tasks by signals from a distant corporation, that's scary.

I'm sorry, but even if it's free, you still need to ask.

Dude.. Read the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you clicked "agree" and decided to use a product/service designed and operated by someone else as a business... If you don't like it, operate your own... It's a money making platform, not an inalienable human right...

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of people who sell out the biggest venues across the world in order to see them live.
Indeed. I love how many people go on MR because they think other people give a crap about their personal preferences. It would be nice to implement a system to get rid of that garbage to allow room for thoughtful analysis.

----------

If macrumors was a music fourm... It would be a ugly place.
It's an ugly place as it is.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
You know that free 10 pound phone book that gets thrown on your doorstep every year whether you like it or not that you have to pick up and dispose of yourself? Pain in the @ss isn't it?

U2 is that phone book.

Sounds like you're doing just fine if this is something you consider "a pain in the ass".

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Indeed. I love how many people go on MR because they think other people give a crap about their personal preferences. It would be nice to implement a system to get rid of that garbage to allow room for thoughtful analysis.

Apple already implemented that system with the Songs of Innocence removal tool.

xSeaside

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
Congratulations, America. You've forced an apology from someone who gave you something for FREE.

Just because something is free doesn't mean it is good or that people automatically want it.

I don't listen this kind of music, so I could care less.

Apple could also have given every iTunes user a $10 gift card or a free album download of choice.

prometheus6

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Really now. You wouldn't feel slighted in the least that an app from a company that you may not support suddenly found its way to your device because of a purchasing deal Apple is involved with?

Something tells me many people would have a problem with this.

Something tells me that many people have problems with many trivial things!

In the grand context of this whole post, it's about songs... SONGS.. And so many people are up in arms about it. It's not an app. It's not some virus pushed to your devices. It's not some backdoor to your device. It's not stealing your personal information. It's nothing sinister.

So what if it downloaded. Delete it. There was no harm in it, people just blow things out of proportion. It's a free album. If you like it, awesome. If you don't, delete it and get rid of it.

I accept that an app would be a different case and probably deserve the hype, but come on.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Just because something is free doesn't mean it is good or that people automatically want it.

I don't listen this kind of music, so I could care less.

Apple could also have given every iTunes user a $10 gift card or a free album download of choice.

My mother taught me to not complain about gifts from others. Didn't yours?

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Something tells me that many people have problems with many trivial things!

So you consider a company involuntarily pushing data you don't want to a device that you own and have paid for to be trivial?

Think about that for a second, very carefully. What kind of precedence does that set?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
:eek: This is a gate?! Someone hurry up and go make a thread in the iPhone forum!!!!!!!!!!!

If some one does this for realzys...

The way that people are reacting to it, it is considered a gate. I am actually in the lower 0.00000001% of people who actually liked this gift from Apple, so U2-gate is fine by me.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Thus why automatic music downloads should not happen.

It's in the iTunes preferences. You can disable "Automatic Downloads" for either Music or Apps. I actually never enabled my devices to automatically download anything. Control. I want to be able to manually control what I download, and when I will download it.

For the same exact reason… any friend could theoretically send me to "Gift" me an app. But as long as I don't have Automatic Downloads enabled, then I could always just choose to leave the gift un-downloaded. My choice. My control.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
The problem isn't that it was downloaded without permission its that it was U2 and they're not relevant anymore

The band who's 2011 tour was the highest grossing revenue of all time, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and has won more Grammy's than any other artist of all time isn't relevant?

Interesting (and incorrect) position.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
If this was a gangster rap album it would be absurd that they did it, right? But just because it is U2, it is ok? Because they are not 'offensive'?

It would be equally absurd if they did it with an album of children's songs, in my opinion. Anyway, I never said Apple executed a flawless delivery of this gift. Maybe it could have been handled better.

From a logistical standpoint, however, I think it made sense. They wanted to give a gift to all current iTunes customers. Apple said "OK, we have XX million current users," and then negotiated a price with U2 to deliver their new album to those people. If they made it available as a free download - and didn't add it to your account as a purchase, there would have been a surge of new iTunes accounts from people who just wanted the album. Sure, some would stay, but most would never come back.

prometheus6

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
So you consider a company involuntarily pushing data you don't want to a device that you own and have paid for to be trivial?

Think about that for a second, very carefully. What kind of precedence does that set?

Did you not read my whole post? Were talking about an album. As I conceded, there would probably be cause for concern if it were an app. Apple asks when you get your new device if you want to download their apps, they don't push them.

Again. An album. The T&C you agreed too probably allows it too.

With this said, I bet many of these people complaining are happy to use torrent sites, which are full of viruses, malware, etc. But don't have a problem with this.

Like I said. An app would be different.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Congratulations, America. You've forced an apology from someone who gave you something for FREE.

I don't think some will ever be able to win. So now there is too cheap (free) Even though I know hardly anything about U2, where did all the hate come from, I am sure they were more liked just a few years ago.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think its really U2's fault. Apple should have said "Your out of your damn mind." And made it a free download through iTunes. Not an automatic download.

I think the difference was that Apple actually *purchased* this song for everyone, which triggered the automatic download for those that had that feature turned on (which most would by default, I believe).

The amount of complaining is incredible. It's free music.

I wonder how many people that disapprove of this free gift from Apple have stolen music from artists?

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
For those who think this isn't a big deal at all and people are just whiners, let's imagine this hypothetical situation.

Let's say Apple purchased Snapchat for two billion dollars. In order to make that purchase worth it, they want all iPhone and iPad users to start using it. So, they push the app onto everyone's device.

Would this be a problem, or would you simply shrug it off and say it's not a big deal?

I would delete it, say whatever, and move along with my life instead of whining about it. I actually downloaded snapchat previously, then deleted it after I found it pointless.

As long as you can remove it from your device, whats the big deal. Though I guess people need something to complain about.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Dude.. Read the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you clicked "agree" and decided to use a product/service designed and operated by someone else as a business... If you don't like it, operate your own... It's a money making platform, not an inalienable human right...

I realize they have the power and legal ability to do these things. But they should have been smart enough to not do them. You're right, they're a business. And when they do things their users don't like, that's bad for business.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
For those who think this isn't a big deal at all and people are just whiners, let's imagine this hypothetical situation.

Let's say Apple purchased Snapchat for two billion dollars. In order to make that purchase worth it, they want all iPhone and iPad users to start using it. So, they push the app onto everyone's device.

Would this be a problem, or would you simply shrug it off and say it's not a big deal?

I would say that if this was a blimp on your radar, you are quite a blessed human being.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Apple gave everyone a gift by *purchasing* the album. You had your device(s) configured to automatically download purchases. It would take 3 minutes of your life to remove the album. I fail to see what justifies getting upset over this.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I think Apple has learned a lesson and they probably won't make this decision again. They want their customers to be happy. That's why they immediately provided a way to remove the album from one's account.

But take a step back... these automatic downloads are in control of end-users already. Isn't the onus on the users to take some responsibility for how they have their devices configured?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.