Uber App Gains Long-Desired Tipping Option

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Uber today announced a new "180 Days of Change" initiative that's designed to improve working conditions for its drivers and bolster its public image. As part of the upcoming changes, Uber plans to implement tipping, a feature that drivers have long desired.

Tipping is currently available in the Uber app in Seattle, Minneapolis, and Houston, with Uber pledging to add more cities over the next few weeks. Tips will be available to all U.S. drivers by the end of July, says the company.

[​IMG]

For end users, when a ride is complete, there's a new option alongside the star rating to add a tip of $1, $2, $5, or a custom amount. The new in-app tipping option is a huge change, as Uber has long resisted tipping with the excuse that it kept the service "hassle-free," even as competitors like Lyft implemented tips for drivers.

Along with tipping, Uber also announced several other changes that are being implemented starting today. Driver Destination trips will count towards promotions and are available for all U.S. drivers, $2 has been added to the base fare for all teen account trips, drivers will earn a per minute fee for waiting over 2 minutes for riders, a cancellation fee will be implemented if a rider cancels after two minutes (it was 5 minutes), and there's a new Driver Injury Protection insurance option offered by Aon.

Uber plans to announce and implement additional changes over the course of the next six months.

Article Link: Uber App Gains Long-Desired Tipping Option

2. farewelwilliams, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

no thanks. tipping should be banned.
    yes i get it, you work in a service industry and you don't get paid enough. but if your employers charged more and passed the profits onto you, we wouldn't need to figure out this whole tipping ********.

good video here:

3. DCJ001 macrumors 6502

DCJ001

4. RCS31 macrumors 6502

RCS31

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    Tipping is a ridiculous system. I think it's disgusting guilting customers into paying companies' employee's wages. When I order a service or product, I expect to be paying for everything. I don't expect to then have to pay extra for their employee's service.

5. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Tipping is more of a personal reward for good service to the person rather than the company/employer. It tells a person “your service was great, here’s an extra reward”.

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

no. it's a physical service. apple doesn't take a cut from that.

7. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

8. Niclisten Suspended

Niclisten

Meh. After the last round of stupidity by the board I'm just inclined to use lyft at this point. Uber seems like Company run by people who act like highschooler's

9. mrow macrumors member

Ugh great. Are the drivers able to see who tipped and who didn’t? Otherwise this is basically going be mandatory if you don’t want your rider rating to tank.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

That would be true in Europe which doesn't really have a tipping culture. A tip is surprising and not at all expected.

In the US, a tip is almost mandatory. You feel like an asshat if you don't tip because you're guilted in knowing that they don't make enough and tipping is to be expected as a 'courtesy'.

It's very cultural.

12. whoispankaj macrumors newbie

Do engineers get tipped when they resolve important production issues for customers? Like here is 500$ For your great service since you solved an important issue for us.i generally do not like this tipping service.. It's Ok to tip if you really enjoyed the service and added some extra value.. But tipping Everytime when just going from one place to another does not make sense.. They are paid the amount which is being charged for the service..

13. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Yep true.

14. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

No thanks. Tell me how much you want to get paid for your service before I accept said service. If you don't make enough, charge more.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Again, very easy to comprehend in Europe. Completely different in the US.

Both cultures have been indoctrinated into a certain way of thinking. Sometimes it's difficult to see how things could be any other way. The US think it's rude not to tip. Europeans think it's strange to tip after every single drink.

The truth is somewhere in between, of course; but if in doubt, play it as you see it.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

No tip necessary when the car is completely automated.

17. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

No thank you. I think I'm done with Uber. I don't need drivers begging me for a tip or giving me a bad rating because I didn't tip.

18. MacGuffin macrumors regular

Does it let you tip the executives when they refrain from sexual harassment?

19. kingtj macrumors 68020

The problem is, it's really not when the company clearly underpays the worker with expectations that tips cover the difference.

In the restaurant industry in the USA, the fact that servers earn well below the Federally mandated minimum wage clearly illustrates this mentality. (If a tip was really JUST a personal reward given for good service, you'd still pay servers the mandated minimum wage or more.)

And yes, I realize the law requires restaurant owners to pay the difference if a server earns less than the min. wage after tips -- but in reality? Anyone working there who has that happen consistently is let go for "performing below expectations" (or whatever other excuse works best for management). The whole business model is designed around the idea that customers are supposed to share paying the wages of the servers.

With something like Lyft or Uber? I guess I'm ok with tips being available as an option in the apps, but I'd like to see the apps themselves hint/suggest that these are purely optional gestures. Too many people carry that guilt around that they're obligated to tip in these situations, just because of the screwed up way our restaurant industry handles tipping.

20. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

Tip-culture is arbitrary and unfair. A good example is that I and an American I know was at McDonald's and the cashier said she would bring out our meals because it would take some minutes. He always warmly talked about tipping. Well the meals arrived and of course he did not tip. Confronted with this there was silence "erm, hem, ahm" and more silence. He simply could not explain.

21. TurboPGT! Suspended

Yeah, the drivers should be out there saying, "I don't need a tip, I need my job."

22. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

If this was any company other than Uber. All of you negative hateful people would be praising this.

23. 4RUNRCLB macrumors member

4RUNRCLB

Yep, no thanks. Appreciate what they're doing for the drivers but I'll stick with Lyft when I need a ride. Don't know what anyone would drive for uber when Lyft is an option.

24. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Uber needs to be left to die. There are way too many problems, too deeply ingrained in that company to be fixed in 180 days. The management and investors of that company need to see their investments wiped out.

Until the employee has the power to adjust your rating down and deny you access to the product in the future because they have a different opinion about their service.

Fee for service, plain and simple. Tip for doing something beyond the job description, but taking you from point A to point B just like the app told them to, and being civil while they do it is not a reason for tips. Tips are an excuse for an employer to underpay their employees...

25. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I dont think the drivers are going to beg you for anything. It's in the App just like the Lyft app.

And the Lyft app offers tipping as well, always has.